bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Titans and Colts=Collusion?

Did you guys catch Kerry Collins comments he made on WFAN Radio today. Check it out.

Collusion? Titans, Colts had ‘communication’

QB says Indy coaches told Tennessee they wouldn't call TO to force punt

Did Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans coaches have an under-the-table agreement at the end of last Sunday's game?

Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio on Thursday that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said.

"Apparently there was some communication between Jeff (Fisher) and Tony (Dungy)," Collins said on WFAN.

Fisher said he knew Dungy wouldn't use the timeout because he's so familiar with the Colts coach's thinking, the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel reported Thursday.

"Let me just say, I knew he wasn't going to use it. Tony and I were on the competition committee for a long time," Fisher said, the newspaper reported.

The Titans coach also said the Colts would have gotten the ball back with 25 seconds left but down nine because Tennessee would have kicked another field goal, the newspaper reported.

"It didn't make any sense. They gave it their best shot," Fisher said, the News-Sentinel reported.

Dungy congratulated the Titans.

"I have to congratulate the Titans and I think it is a feather in the cap of our division to get three teams in the playoffs,” Dungy said, Colts.com reported. “They (the Titans) certainly deserve it.”

If true, the Cleveland Browns could possibly file a grievance alleging collusion, which is against NFL rules. The Browns would have made the playoffs if the Titans had lost.

Collins also said he thought starting quarterback Vince Young was day-to-day, but "he'll do whatever he needs to do to get ready to play."

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whole game was a sham. All Indy did was go out and got Reggie Wayne the yardage record. Threw to him 12 sraight times on dink and dunk passes then took him out and quit playing offense.

jeffries
    jeffries's Avatar Become A Pro!

This one's gonna be a blowout win for San Diego

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

This isn't a popular opinion, so I may catch some slack for saying this, but I'm not one to hold my tongue so I'm going to anyway. Tony Dungy is not the saint we all believe he is.

Yes, your heart goes out to the guy for some of his personal struggles, and it's remarkable how he persevered and won a championship. But in my mind, he's a lot more similar to Coach Belichick than people may think.

I think the Colts pipe in crowd noise, I think Bill Polian has greased an official or two, all I'm saying is, the Colts (just like plenty other teams) aren't as squeaky-clean as people think.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Funny isn't it? Coughlin is pretty much the jerk in the public eye and Dungy the hero, but when it comes down to it in week 17 there is no question who respects the viewing public and who doesn't. (and the Giants didn't even get a week's rest afterwards).

pokernut9999

Yea, and when and if the Giants lose next everyone will blame him for pushing his players in that game.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

That unused timeout cost me $400 in the BTP contest

canabiz
    canabiz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    This isn't a popular opinion, so I may catch some slack for saying this, but I'm not one to hold my tongue so I'm going to anyway. Tony Dungy is not the saint we all believe he is.

Yes, your heart goes out to the guy for some of his personal struggles, and it's remarkable how he persevered and won a championship. But in my mind, he's a lot more similar to Coach Belichick than people may think.

I think the Colts pipe in crowd noise, I think Bill Polian has greased an official or two, all I'm saying is, the Colts (just like plenty other teams) aren't as squeaky-clean as people think.
    While I don't think you are incorrect, the same could be said for pretty much all the other 30 coaches, football is big business and with that comes strategies and plans.

pokernut9999

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    That unused timeout cost me $400 in the BTP contest
    No pity from me , I went 5-7 the last 3 weeks and all 7 losses were like your Tenn loss and I dropped from 2nd to 11th in two weeks. You can not count on fg's or scores at the end of the game. I can list 6 games in the last 2 weeks where my team just needed any score to cover and were inside the 15 yard line in the closing minutes and none scored. 2 missed fg's, 2 turnovers, and 2 goal line stops. Cost me over $2500 in real bets and $1250 to $3500 in the BTP
    Last edited by pokernut9999; 01-03-08 at 07:16 PM.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    I think the Colts pipe in crowd noise, I think Bill Polian has greased an official or two...
    crazyl,
    I respect you as one of the more level-headed posters on this forum and you are certainly entitled to your opinon, but
    Do you have any proof of either of these?

I believe the NFL has looked into the "Colts pipe in crowd noise" issue not found anything of substance.

As to "Polian paying off an official or two..." that's a pretty serious allegation and Tim Donaghy not withstanding, not one that I think you want to go making without something other than "I think..."

Doc

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    I respect you as one of the more level-headed posters on this forum and you are certainly entitled to your opinon, but Do you have any proof of either of these?
    Only circumstantial, a security guard was quoted by a few different news outlets as having stated the Colts do enhance crowd noise. These reports were discredited when CBS declared the "skip" to be a technical error only audible on the television broadcast, however, complaints of this nature have been levied against the Colts prior to this game. This was not a new allegation, but nothing has ever been substantiated in validating the claims.

As to "Polian paying off an official or two..." that's a pretty serious allegation and Tim Donaghy not withstanding, not one that I think you want to go making without something other than "I think..."
    You're right, I can't prove it, so it was probably not right to drop his name like that. I'll instead say, if an official was paid, it would have been Polian who issued the check.

The Pats/Colts game of this year was one of the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Beyond just a "oh, damn zebras!" type of game, I'm talking clearcut phantom calls, lopsided calls, lack of calls against the Colts in situations with clear infractions. The Patriots set a franchise record for their team, in what was their most penalized regular season game ever in their history with 146yds off 10 penalties. Colts finished with 4 for 25yds, they went through around 45 minutes of play with 2-3 flags being thrown on them up until the 4th quarter.

John Parry is also in his first year as head official, he'd worked as a side judge in previous years. If there was any ref you could get to, he would be the guy, but I digress. Hopefully I'm wrong, because the integrity of the game means a lot to me.
    Last edited by SBR Lou; 01-03-08 at 08:14 PM.