bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Will the Giants play hard this week?

I was looking at this game just now and got to thinking if they will either rest the starters or try and play spoiler vs New England.

I feel the Giants almost have to start everyone and try to knockoff the Patriots, because it's such a crucial game in NFL history.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I've been listening to this debate on WFAN almost daily for about a month. They've been talking with Giants players and beat reporters constantly about this - and close friends of Coughlin.

The feeling is well in favor of the Giants TRYING from what every single person has said. Every person that was close to Coughlin says is it's his philosiphy to play to win every game and do whatever he must.

I don't buy it 100%. I've had it in my mind the entire time that after NE gets up 14+ in the 2nd quarter, both teams will mail it in. It's just a hunch. Also, I still can't name a huge spot since 98, I think it was, when the Giants D came up big in a big spot (the game where the G-Men knocked off the Broncos from their undefeated run).

This game IS a big spot. I expect them, no matter HOW they plan to play, to stink it up big and the game to be about a 14+ point difference before the first half is over. Probably more.... And the 2nd half just to be a casual romp.

I think the important question, though, is how NE will handle the pressure. You won't see it in any of their words - I am interested to see them talk about it this week and see what their eyes says, or their body language. There's no way they are going to just waltz out there and make it happen, the stakes are so high in history. We all know Brady and how he handles pressure - but this is unprecidented pressure.
    Last edited by McBa1n; 12-24-07 at 05:41 PM.

Cannonfodder
    Cannonfodder's Avatar Become A Pro!

The thing is the giants don't get a bi week so they MUST rest starters this week. Either way it should be a bloodbath.

Destroyer
    Destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is an interesting topic because there's no right or wrong answer until game time. In my opinion, it doesn't seem reasonable for the G-men or the Patriots to risk injury to their starters at this point in the NFL season when the playoffs are right around the corner. Both teams are in the playoffs and it's uncertain if both teams will play with 100% effort or motivation in the final week of the NFL season.

I understand the historical significance of going undefeated in the NFL regular season for the Patriots and the G-men would like to show up and prove they can compete with the top team in the AFC, but at the risk of injury to their starters, I think it's a senseless gamble since both team's playoff and Super Bowl chances will suffer enormous implications if a significant injury occurs with their key starters.

Therefore, I think it's highly unlikely the starters for both teams will play four quarters of the game. I believe this is the riskiest portion of the equation when attempting to decide which way to bet since both teams are in the playoffs and have no tangible motivation to play at 100% effort.

It will be interesting to see how this game unfolds this upcoming week: risk injuries to key starters to break an NFL record or preserve the health of key starters for an opportunity to win the Super Bowl?

LiLHammerlane
    LiLHammerlane's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great points made there, and without any futher info needed for NE, anybody remember Matt Cassel?.....no, I bet the folks in Washington do, he lit them up back in week 9 on a little scramble for a TD, so if NE gets up on the G-men by 20 or so, put the guy in, I dont think NE cares really, about any pressure this week, I remember a couple of superbowls, where a certain kicker had to seal the deal, so this shouldnt be nothing more than a typical Patriot ass whoopin, while NY will try and make it "Look Good"....and fall short.

I have been following the NFL for 30+ years, and my friends, former teamates, co-workers, etc....Always said, "There will never be a team go 16-0" Too much parody, bla, bla, bla......Well eat crow now, I guess? It will only be remembered if NE goes 19-0. Somehow, I got a strange gut feeling that a team, like Jacksonville, could ruin that next month, I could be wrong, but its happened before, the 1 seed losing in the Divisional round....Let the Hype continue......

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14473

yep, I think they'll show up bbd; I hope so. I just took 'em +15

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

"Will the Giants play hard this week?"

Yes, the Giants' second and third stringers will play very hard!

LT Profits

In all seriousness, this game screams NO PLAY. Yes the Patriots are more apt to play their reglars longer, what with 16-0 at stake and a bye week next week. Then again, all they need for perfection is a win, so if they go up 20 and pull their starters in the fourth quarter (or earlier), the backdoor is always open at this inflated number.

Cannonfodder
    Cannonfodder's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree and big spreads is no good here

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post

Thats just it though LT. Don't you feel that the Giants need to play their starters in this game. I think it would be a great momentum builder going into the playoffs to find out just how good they really are.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Thats just it though LT. Don't you feel that the Giants need to play their starters in this game. I think it would be a great momentum builder going into the playoffs to find out just how good they really are.

Yea, but if they play their starters and lose by 35, that doesn't set them up real well.

Lot of matchups like this this week. I usually like betting in week 17, but not this year.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

I know the Pats are showing up with starters and I think that will force the Giants to show up with thier starters. I don't think the G Men are looking to get their asses handed to them in front of the home crowd. The G Men probably feel they can shock the world and make a statement Sunday.

louis
    louis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 431

Pats didn't need the Miami game either

I didn't watch it on tv, but I believe the Pats played their starters through out the Miami game. The Miami game was totally meaningless to the Pats, other than to get a perfect season.

So I would expect the Pats to play the Giants the same way. And this game is no gimme for the Pats. If the Giants play hard, even with some starters out, they could do well. Remember the Giants are in the playoffs for a reason, and that's because they are a good team. Baltimore came extremely close to beating the Pats, and the Giants are definitely a better team than Baltimore.

It is very likely the Pats will win. But not a certainty.

nep1293
    nep1293's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Giants should tank this game. If they try to win and get bullied around they will go into the playoffs knowing they can't compete with the best. If they actually make a game out of it or win the game, then there would be a letdown for the playoffs. The only way they can keep their heads level for the playoffs is to lose this game by playing there backups.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I was looking at this game just now and got to thinking if they will either rest the starters or try and play spoiler vs New England.

I feel the Giants almost have to start everyone and try to knockoff the Patriots, because it's such a crucial game in NFL history.
    Well, if you ask the Cowboys and Redskins players they will say that they played the Patriots extremely hard. They still lost by 4 TD's or more. They only way Pats don't cover is if Mr. Belicheat doesn't want to cover. I see Brady with a chance to humilate Manning's pee wee little brother. But it's just me though.

EastsidaProduct
    EastsidaProduct's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 390

Giants lose...but not by much.

Patriots have something to play for, of course, but also would love to obtain some NFL records. They're so close of shattering some records and b/c of that reason they will toss the ball a little more than they should. But the Giants will play with effort, even though they will be short handed with the team's offensive motivator...Jeremy Shockey. Still it will be a great game for all. Good luck to both teams.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I believe that LT is ALL over this one!

Coughlin's ONLY job is to get the Giants ready to play Tampa in the playoffs. His job is NOT to stop the Pats from going 16-0.

He should play his starters only as long as he thinks he should play them to get ready for the Bucs.

If I had to bet, I'd bet the Pats play their starters longer (with 16-0 on the line and having a bye next week). And I suspect they cover the number, but LT is exactly correct, the back door will be open late in the game.

I'm not going to play it, but if I had to play it, I'd bet on the Pats.

Doc

outdrawed
    outdrawed's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Well, if you ask the Cowboys and Redskins players they will say that they played the Patriots extremely hard. They still lost by 4 TD's or more. They only way Pats don't cover is if Mr. Belicheat doesn't want to cover. I see Brady with a chance to humilate Manning's pee wee little brother. But it's just me though.
    You mean like they did against the Ravens, Eagles, Dolphins and Jets?

My God, this whole thread is just one stupid post after another. Yeah, Giants should tank this game because if they try and lose it means they won't beat them in the SB. Where the hell are you people coming up with these thoughts?

LT Profits

To clarify, I don't expect the Giants to tank anything. That implies not trying. I just feel they will pull their regulars after a couple of series because they do not get a bye week and don't need any nagging injuries right now. They WILL give an all-out effort on the field, albeit with their backups.

LT Profits

No Dan, I disagree totally. After losing Shockey, why should they risk more key injuries when this game means absolutely nothing from a standings viewpoint? Sure stopping perfection would be nice, but that is not their first priority. Their mindset is that they have to do what best gives them the chance to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, not in a meaningless Week 17 game. (Yes, I know that their best chance of reaching the Super Bowl is if the other five NFC team planes get hijacked, but as professional players, they have to at least think this way.)

outdrawed

To clarify, I don't expect the Giants to tank anything. That implies not trying. I just feel they will pull their regulars after a couple of series because they do not get a bye week and don't need any nagging injuries right now. They WILL give an all-out effort on the field, albeit with their backups.
    Right. I'm fine with that thought. The idea that they're not going to play their starters for the sole reason of preserving their morale is flat-out dumb. Resting/protecting key players? Sure.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by outdrawed View Post
    You mean like they did against the Ravens, Eagles, Dolphins and Jets?

My God, this whole thread is just one stupid post after another. Yeah, Giants should tank this game because if they try and lose it means they won't beat them in the SB. Where the hell are you people coming up with these thoughts?
    Have you seen any NFC teams put up any fights against Patriots? The Pats seem to be extremely efficient and eager to crush their potential superbowl foes.

eglickman
    eglickman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can you guys give me some advice? I want to put New England -10 in the first half in a 10 point teaser, obviously meaning that the Pats would just have to be leading going into the half. They have done so 14 out of 16 games this season, the only exceptions were losing to the Colts at half and being tied to the Ravens at the half. Is this a good play? In your opinion, which half is likely to see more points scored? I'm not sure how the points will play out with starters likely being pulled by the second half.

LT Profits

The first question is what book allows you to tease halves?

If such a book does exist, I do think the first half is better, because the starters will see most (probably all) of the action for New England.

Second half is totally unpredictable.

eglickman

Haha good point, nevermind

eglickman

I'm going with Patriots -4.5 in a 10 point teaser. What do you think? I don't think the Pats will let it get that close, even if they do open a "backdoor for points" in the second half.

outdrawed

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Have you seen any NFC teams put up any fights against Patriots? The Pats seem to be extremely efficient and eager to crush their potential superbowl foes.
    healjfaklsdjfklajfja

Are you serious?

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14473

yaayyy!! NYG showed up to play and got the cover . . .

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that could take a lot out of the Giants for next week, I'd be leery of playing them. Also, Eli Manning is their QB.

bigboydan

I gotta give credit to the Giants players not sitting out this game. I mean after all it was meaningless really.