beaneaters
    beaneaters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2031

Beaneaters Week 12 (47-32 ATS)

Here we are hours before kickoff, and I already feel like I've posted a losing weekend. If there was ever any doubt about how much of a rookie I am, this should prove it.

But before I get into my picks, I want to clarify something. There has been a lot of squabbling going on, primarily in the college football forum, about those who are bashing picks made by other people, what role moderators have, and how much credence to give to those who do the bashing. One poster noted how those who go spoiling for a fight likely aren't serious bettors at all, just idiots spending their lunch money.

I just want it known that I am in no way a "big time" player, so don't take my selections too seriously. As this weeks picks will show, I'm still a novice, with lots to learn. I know I bet too many games, but I'm still enthralled by the "thrill of the hunt" that comes while searching for a winner. I'm still searching the web trying to find articles on "dos and don't" as far as sports betting goes (types of bets, amounts, trends to believe in, etc), and would welcome any help that is offered.

As for my bets, I remain a monetary light-weight. Just your average schmuk who enjoys making his picks, and hoping to come out ahead at the end of the day. The goal, of course, to establish enough of a bankroll to make bigger plays down the road. Feel free to agree or disagree as you chose.

This week:
    Because I just started betting games this year, I was very reluctant to bet more than one unit on a game. Eventually, I moved on to some two unit plays, and this week, I have taken it another step further.
    And I'm worried, because my lines suck.

Three units
    Cleveland -4 versus Houston. I jumped on this early in the week, thinking the line would be moving to five or six. Now I see it down to three in some places. Even at 3.5, I read about some guys "buying the hook". Hell, I didn't know you could even do that. So now I can see myself getting screwed.
    But I love the Browns offence. They've won four of their last five (5-0 ATS) and showed some moxie in consecutive road games in Pittsburgh and Baltimore. I think they revel in their return home.
    Yes, Houston is underrated, but last week against the Saints they were taking advantage of their bye week, and now they hit the road to a colder climate. I think (hope) the Browns have the confidence to cover.

New York Giants -7.5 versus Minnesota. Again, I jumped on this early in the week, thinking it would climb to 9 or 10. Instead it dropped to seven. And I still don't know how to "buy the hook". But I'm more confident in this pick. If Culpepper can pass for over 300 yards against Minnesota, then Eli Manning should have a field day. The Giants won't want to lose a third home game, and have held six of their last eight opponents to under 17 points. Even if the punchless Vikings manage that many, Giants should be able to cover 7.5.

Two units
    San Diego -9.5 versus Baltimore.
    Rookie mistake number three. I wanted to grab the number before it hit 10, and now it falls to eight.
    I just have to believe that San Diego is a different team at home, hope that Turner will give Tomlinson the chance to show MVP form, and hope the Chargers finally assert themselves on defence. Show some pride in front of the home fans against a suspect Ravens offence. Baltimore is 1-9 ATS, with their only cover against a then-winless St. Louis team.

One unit
    Tennesee -1.5 at Cincinnati. I was greatly disappointed at the Titans' Monday performance. I've lost some faith, but Jeff Fisher is too good of a coach to drop three straight, especially with the team in the midst of a playoff fight. I also like that against other high-powered passing attacks, the Titans have held Indy to 22 points, New Orleans to 14 (when everyone thought the Saints were good) and Tampa Bay to 13 . . . Okay, the Bucs aren't high-powered, but Garcia knows what he's doing.

New Orleans -2 at Carolina.
    I think the Saints realize their season hangs in the balance today. They worked hard to salvage something from an 0-4 start, and they should be able to handle a Carolina team with quarterback issues that is winless at home. I also like that the Saints lost to the Panthers earlier this year, so revenge is a factor for what I feel is the better team.

New England -24 versus Philadelphia. Hey, if you can't beat them, join them.

Over/unders (A very poor 14-19 this season)

Seattle/St Louis, over 44.5
    Washington/Tampa Bay, over 38
    Oakland/Kansas City, under 34.5

Good luck all
    Bean

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Good luck man, I have three of the plays myself.

Cleveland (-3): -3 @ -120 = 3 Units
    New York Giants (-7.5): Bought the point...NYG 6.5 @ -130 = 2 Units
    Tennessee (-1.5): Moneyline @ -127 = 1 Unit

Let's hope for a big day.

tab
    tab's Avatar Become A Pro!

go with your instinct

Quote Originally Posted by beaneaters View Post
    Here we are hours before kickoff, and I already feel like I've posted a losing weekend. If there was ever any doubt about how much of a rookie I am, this should prove it.

But before I get into my picks, I want to clarify something. There has been a lot of squabbling going on, primarily in the college football forum, about those who are bashing picks made by other people, what role moderators have, and how much credence to give to those who do the bashing. One poster noted how those who go spoiling for a fight likely aren't serious bettors at all, just idiots spending their lunch money.

I just want it known that I am in no way a "big time" player, so don't take my selections too seriously. As this weeks picks will show, I'm still a novice, with lots to learn. I know I bet too many games, but I'm still enthralled by the "thrill of the hunt" that comes while searching for a winner. I'm still searching the web trying to find articles on "dos and don't" as far as sports betting goes (types of bets, amounts, trends to believe in, etc), and would welcome any help that is offered.

As for my bets, I remain a monetary light-weight. Just your average schmuk who enjoys making his picks, and hoping to come out ahead at the end of the day. The goal, of course, to establish enough of a bankroll to make bigger plays down the road. Feel free to agree or disagree as you chose.

This week:
    Because I just started betting games this year, I was very reluctant to bet more than one unit on a game. Eventually, I moved on to some two unit plays, and this week, I have taken it another step further.
    And I'm worried, because my lines suck.

Three units
    Cleveland -4 versus Houston. I jumped on this early in the week, thinking the line would be moving to five or six. Now I see it down to three in some places. Even at 3.5, I read about some guys "buying the hook". Hell, I didn't know you could even do that. So now I can see myself getting screwed.
    But I love the Browns offence. They've won four of their last five (5-0 ATS) and showed some moxie in consecutive road games in Pittsburgh and Baltimore. I think they revel in their return home.
    Yes, Houston is underrated, but last week against the Saints they were taking advantage of their bye week, and now they hit the road to a colder climate. I think (hope) the Browns have the confidence to cover.

New York Giants -7.5 versus Minnesota. Again, I jumped on this early in the week, thinking it would climb to 9 or 10. Instead it dropped to seven. And I still don't know how to "buy the hook". But I'm more confident in this pick. If Culpepper can pass for over 300 yards against Minnesota, then Eli Manning should have a field day. The Giants won't want to lose a third home game, and have held six of their last eight opponents to under 17 points. Even if the punchless Vikings manage that many, Giants should be able to cover 7.5.

Two units
    San Diego -9.5 versus Baltimore.
    Rookie mistake number three. I wanted to grab the number before it hit 10, and now it falls to eight.
    I just have to believe that San Diego is a different team at home, hope that Turner will give Tomlinson the chance to show MVP form, and hope the Chargers finally assert themselves on defence. Show some pride in front of the home fans against a suspect Ravens offence. Baltimore is 1-9 ATS, with their only cover against a then-winless St. Louis team.

One unit
    Tennesee -1.5 at Cincinnati. I was greatly disappointed at the Titans' Monday performance. I've lost some faith, but Jeff Fisher is too good of a coach to drop three straight, especially with the team in the midst of a playoff fight. I also like that against other high-powered passing attacks, the Titans have held Indy to 22 points, New Orleans to 14 (when everyone thought the Saints were good) and Tampa Bay to 13 . . . Okay, the Bucs aren't high-powered, but Garcia knows what he's doing.

New Orleans -2 at Carolina.
    I think the Saints realize their season hangs in the balance today. They worked hard to salvage something from an 0-4 start, and they should be able to handle a Carolina team with quarterback issues that is winless at home. I also like that the Saints lost to the Panthers earlier this year, so revenge is a factor for what I feel is the better team.

New England -24 versus Philadelphia. Hey, if you can't beat them, join them.

Over/unders (A very poor 14-19 this season)

Seattle/St Louis, over 44.5
    Washington/Tampa Bay, over 38
    Oakland/Kansas City, under 34.5

Good luck all
    Bean

Don't pay too much attention to the adivce of degenerate gamblers on this site. Some of these so called idiots want most of us trying to make a little money to go in the opposite direction and that is why they will post the loser on this site. They do their best trying to convince you to go the other way. They are afraid that if everyone bets the same way on a particular game that the spread will be inflated. Don't believe these idiots because they will mess you up. Another thing that I noticed is that a lot of them take primarily the underdogs that require a backdoor cover (or are praying for one at the end of the game). Some of them get confused with the concept of a trap game and think most favorites are traps. Best advice is really not to post your own picks here. Dont trust the advice of the degenerates to make a good decision. And do not be afraid of line movements. The Sports book's line movements, from mon to thurs, really does not make sense. As far as I am concerned, they should not move too much. Vegas does not get the serious play on games til saturday or sunday. Vegas and offshore books do line movements to confuse the public. If the line moves 3 or more points, I usually stay away from the game or go in the opposite direction.
    I really like New Orleans as my only pick in the morning game. I also like San Diego Chargers in the afternoon game.

Destroyer
    Destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have 11K on the Cleveland Browns @ -3.0

Let's hope Cleveland comes through Beaneaters!!

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

1 Unit = $1000 for me. So $3000 on cleveland here. Good luck Destroyer, hope we pull through. Let's go Jamal Lewis! lol.

Destroyer

Good luck to you ChuteBoxe!!

GO CLEVELAND!!

Destroyer

YAY!! Cleveland covered!!