bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dolphins will start John Beck at QB this week

Why not throw him in at QB and see what he can do.

DAVIE, Fla. -- The winless Miami Dolphins have decided to find out whether rookie John Beck is their quarterback of the future.

mshanedub420
    mshanedub420's Avatar Become A Pro!

no joke, i like it already

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Why not throw him in at QB and see what he can do.
    I have no problem with giving him a shot. The point is he doesn't have any more weapons to work with than Lemon had. So, it's hard to see how the results will be much different. It's hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

Or to paraphrase Rick Pitino, "Greise, Zonka, Kiick, Morris, Warfield, Mario, and Duper are not walking back through that door."

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

This is stupid... My uncle is a huge Dolphins fan and we were talking about this Sunday...

My point is that Lemon has played ok and no one short of "GOD" or a new Defense is going to help the Dolphins...

They are working on what is not broke... Work on that broke as* Defense... They blitz and still can't put much pressure on the QB... No coverage and no pressure = 0-16...

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36669

It clearly isn't all Cleo Lemon's fault, but he is what he is and he's obviously not the QB of the future. They stuck with Lemon thru the Buffalo game as they felt it was their best shot to get the W that they so desperately want. But with failing to win that game it is time to put Beck in and see what they have.

Furt
    Furt's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Dolphins misfortune is not on Lemons shoulders... but at the same time it is clear he is not the quarterback of the future. Not for the Dolphins and not for any other team. Beck is a rookie with an upside and I think the Dolphins are right to give him a shot.

They need to see what Beck can offer them in the last few weeks and gauge his talent. They are going to have a very high draft pick, probably the first overall pick, and you need a good assessment of the talent you have going into that draft.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Quote Originally Posted by ShamsWoof10 View Post
    This is stupid... My uncle is a huge Dolphins fan and we were talking about this Sunday...

My point is that Lemon has played ok and no one short of "GOD" or a new Defense is going to help the Dolphins...

They are working on what is not broke... Work on that broke as* Defense... They blitz and still can't put much pressure on the QB... No coverage and no pressure = 0-16...

Cleo is not the fix either, Dolphins staring at a shiit load of picks in a year where QB's are gonna be available in next years draft.. They need to test this kid out to see his potential as an NFL QB.

All_In
    All_In's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lol, Dosen't Matter If They Change The Qb They Will Not Gonna Win A Single Game For The Rest Of The Season. Hey, They Might Upset The New England Hahahaha.

HAPPY BOY

Man , its not about winning a game. Its whether this cat can play ball in the NFL. Its trying to build for the future. the Now Sucks big hairy balls. Who gives a shiit about this team, lets see is Beck is our QB of tomorrow.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I don't like the media pressuring teams to "find out what they have" with their young QB's.

Teams should not be putting young QB's in before they're ready, and from what it seems, John Beck is not ready. I like to see QB's sit their entire rookie year before seeing any action.

HAPPY BOY

Marino went in after 3rd game in 1983 and started the last 6 games. now is the time

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY BOY View Post
    Marino went in after 3rd game in 1983 and started the last 6 games. now is the time
    I hardly think a 24 year old example works too well.

There are plenty of examples that would argue both of our points, and until somebody does a statistical analysis proving a correlation or lack thereof between snaps during a rookie year and overall success, neither of us have much ground to walk-on when it comes to examples. Even with that study, it probably still comes down to the individual situation anyways. My only point was that it seems like the media holds a little too much sway when it comes to these situations. Coaches should not feel pressured, but they are pressured, and they feel it. Sometimes their next contract extensions are based on how often they conform to the popular opinion, despite the fact that most of the time that popular opinion is vastly uninformed.

Doc JS

ShamsWoof,
    If you don't think the Dolphins have problems on the offensive side of the ball, you are seriously mistaken.

I'm not saying they don't have problems on defense. Injuries, getting older, etc. but this is not a team that is losing 38-35.

This is a team that struggles and I do mean struggles to put points on the board. And that's on the offense, or lack thereof.

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

does this mean the dolphins have given up on a wild card spot? i can't remember where beck played college ball- help?

Thomasha7
    Thomasha7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like it. I'm glad there giving him a shot.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

They have to give this guy a shot this season, the fans in Miami are pissed that they passed on the sure fire QB bust Brady Quinn, who couldn't even handle the college game, and took another sure fire kick return bust in Ginn Jr. and apparently his family (check the coach's statement after the draft for that one). They do however have a fairly decent offensive line who can run and pass block pretty well. So putting in a new rookie quarterback isn't that bad of an idea. He can hand the ball off to ricky and the other backs then drop back and pass to the sorry ass recievers that are left. Last year they had the Welker dude and the Chambers dude. Both have been traded, Welker is on his way to his best season and Chambers is thanking Jesus that he's not in Miami any more. If this quarterback is any good they can let him go in the offseason like they do all the other good players that have been there since 2001. Remember Miami has now de-throned Detroit and Arizona as the most dysfunctional team in the NFL.

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

BYU.

Here's some bio information I dug up:

John Beck was taken by the Miami Dolphins in the 2007 draft. Chosen with their second pick, Beck was picked 40th overall.

Beck was born in Hayward, California, and attended high school in Mesa, Arizona, where he was a football star. During his junior and senior years, he quarterbacked his team to a 25-2 record, including a state championship. This led to several honors, including first team all-state, USA Today All American honorable mention, Offensive Player of the Year, Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete, and the Arizona High School Football Player of the Year.

Beck was recruited by BYU and began his career as a true freshman. During his sophomore year, he averaged 233 yards a game, passing the three thousand yard mark. In a game against San Diego, Beck had a quarterback rating of 204.8.

His junior year, Beck received All-Mountain West Conference first team honors, and was chosen the team's MVP. Beck averaged 309 yards passing per game. He was ranked in the top 40 quarterbacks in the US by College Football Preview.

In Beck's senior year, ESPN ranked him as the second best quarterback in the nation for efficiency. After leading BYU to a 10-2 record, Beck was a finalist for the Unitas Golden Arm Award and was mentioned in some Heisman conversations. Beck's senior year, and his collegiate career, ended when BYU beat Oregon 38-8 in the Las Vegas Bowl. In that game, Beck threw for 375 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for 26 yards and one touchdown.
    Last edited by regularguy; 11-15-07 at 06:45 PM.

ShamsWoof10

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    ShamsWoof,
    If you don't think the Dolphins have problems on the offensive side of the ball, you are seriously mistaken.

I'm not saying they don't have problems on defense. Injuries, getting older, etc. but this is not a team that is losing 38-35.

This is a team that struggles and I do mean struggles to put points on the board. And that's on the offense, or lack thereof.
    MY GOD you guys are soooo media... Lemon is doing fine and the offensive line is coming along... I think R. Brown got hurt which doesn't help... You people make it sound like the offense is an instant fix if you just get the right QB in there.... So I guess once Beck starts he can throw to Randy Moss and Terrel Owens right or hand off to LT..?

Who in the hell said they have to use that draft pick for a QB..? Why not stay with what you have and build that sh*t defense... You don't need a Marino to win a super bowl..(T. Dilfer)... Not one mention of who they should really get in the draft and that is Dorssey from LSU.. He would be my top pick if he is healthy without a doubt...

Anyone that would pass on Dorssey for a QB doesn't know the differance between a screen pass and a screen porch...

Doc JS

You people make it sound like the offense is an instant fix if you just get the right QB in there.... So I guess once Beck starts he can throw to Randy Moss and Terrel Owens right or hand off to LT..?
    Shams,
    I didn't say that. If you'll go back to my original post in the thread, you'll see that I said:The point is he (Beck) doesn't have any more weapons to work with than Lemon had. So, it's hard to see how the results will be much different.

Their best RB is hurt. They traded away one of their best wide receivers. They have no one on the offensive side of the ball that scares anyone. Changing the QB will not change that. Now, that having been said, I have no problem with them giving Beck a shot and see what they've got in him. It's not like the Fins are getting ready to get on a mad push to make the playoffs.

BOL to you and your Dolphins this weekend!

And BTW, I do know the difference between a screen pass and a screen porch! LOL

Doc

ShamsWoof10

Shams,

Their best RB is hurt. They traded away one of their best wide receivers. They have no one on the offensive side of the ball that scares anyone. Changing the QB will not change that. Now, that having been said, I have no problem with them giving Beck a shot and see what they've got in him. It's not like the Fins are getting ready to get on a mad push to make the playoffs.
    Chapman came in and had 130some yards rushing... I bring that up because it shows the biggest improvement they have made and that is the OFFENSIVE LINE.. They have gotten much better since last year... Chambers wasn't doing sh*t anyway and as far as the coaching staff turning this into a LONG pre season and evaluating players... I don't think that's a bad idea but throwing Beck into the fire is a very bad idea... Lemon has performed better then Trent Green in my opinion...

Miami's remaining games are: Philly. () Blitzburgh, Jets at home, at Bufflalo, and they finish at N. England <<< yeeeekkkkooollaaae... Philly. and Pittsburgh's Defense's are not the ones I would start him against... It should be the Jets to start and then he can progress to Buffalo and New England...

And BTW, I do know the difference between a screen pass and a screen porch! LOL

Doc
    hahahaha you like that one huh..? I plagerized.... I can't take credit for it but I loved it when I heard it... Bilick said it during the "Hard Knocks HBO special" at one of the practices... I have jocked it every since then...

By the way the Dolphins are my uncle's team not mine... He made a good point I guess... My uncle said Camermen had Lemon in San Diego and he knows what he has with him...

I guess....

NapoleonEli
    NapoleonEli's Avatar Become A Pro!

HMMMmmm. Im taking Dolphins +10. Im already liking this Beck guy even though I never heard of him.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

I guess it is worth a shot to put Beck in. Hell, what do they got to lose? Another game?

Thomasha7
    Thomasha7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really like Beck. I have seen him play personally, and I know he's good. Does that mean he will play awesome in his first start. Maybe, maybe not. But I do know he has the potential.

You can see where I live. Thats why I know alot about him.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

Miami is desperate for a QB, what the heck they should give him a shot, Lemon hasn't been very good and it is worth a shot, what can happen lose like they have all year long. I sure would stay away from this game because anything could happen here. Miami is a terrible team and I wouldn't be shocked if the Eagles scored 28 or more though.