HenPrivilege
    HenPrivilege's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I'm no Steelers fan, but have been subjected to watch many Steelers games on my television.

Without a doubt, Hines Ward is always a top 3 player on the field. The guy is in the mix of EVERYTHING.

You can also mention the fact that he bails out Roethlisberger all of the fukkin time. Underthrow and overthrown balls galore and Ward reels them in.

Ward will be that guy that doesn't need stats to get in. When you think of the Steelers in the 2000's, Ward is that dude.

And who says he can't reach 100 TD's, 14,000 yards, and 1,100 receptions. I can see this guy playing for awhile. Hell, Isaac Bruce still hasn't even retired.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

i dont like the squeelers at all, born a bengals fan

but hines is a HOF no doubt about it. Tomlin, or maybe its was more Ben scrambling, opened up the steelers offense and hines definitely showed he is clutch. And, he is a great blocker. The stats are already there beyond that imo,
    2 SBs and a SB MVP. He might not be first ballot, depends who is up for consideration but hines will definitely get in.

blueghost
    blueghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

hes pitts MVP thats 4 sure

Z_Wipf
    Z_Wipf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 275

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    I don't think Hines is even close. He never dominated his position in the league at any point. Great player, great teammate, just not Hall of Fame worthy.

bingo, he was always good rarely great

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Finally a few posters that get it............

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Are you joking??????

1. On November 27, 2005, Ward became the Steelers all-time leading receiver with his 538th catch.

2. SUPERBOWL MVP

3. On December 2, 2007, Ward became the Steelers all-time touchdown receptions leader with his 64th touchdown

4. On September 28, 2009, during the 2009 Season game against Cincinnati, Ward’s four catches for 82 yards vaulted him past 10,000 career receiving yards and made him the first wide receiver in Steelers’ history to achieve that plateau

5. Two Superbowl rings

6. One of the best blocking WR's of all-time

AGAIN, HE COULD NOT PLAY ANOTHER DOWN IN THE NFL AND HE WOULD BE A LARGE FAVORITE TO MAKE THE HOF...................

ALL of the above, and 12th ALL TIME in receptions!

Holy moly, this guy is even more of a surefire hall of famer after looking at all his accomplishments.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Hope his cheapshots keep him outta the HoF

msec512
    msec512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

You guys are crazy. He'll be a 1st time ballot lock. Super Bowl MVP, 4 time Pro Bowler, plus 895 receptions. He'll probably play at least 2 or 3 more seasons. And end up with 1000 or more receptions.

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

1st ballot easy.

cardboardbelt
    cardboardbelt's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was involved heavily in pushing for Art Monk to get into the HoF a couple of years ago, and several factors seem to go into the voting process.
    I'll just address some of the stuff I've seen here and give some advice, since I'm rooting for Ward.
    1) Please stop quoting Ward's position as the team's all-time receiving leader. This does not help him. The Hall of Famers he outpaced in these stats played in a different era and the voters appear to understand this. Besides, there are lots of guys who can say the same thing about whatever team they played for, but who would never even be considered. Emphasize his place historically and compare his stats and accomplishments to a) his contemporaries and b) the other WR nominees when the voting starts happening.
    2) Another good thing to emphasize with Ward is not just his team's success in the post season and not just his Super Bowl MVP, but his overall strong play in the playoffs during his career. This appeared to work wonders in our support of Monk, disspelling some misconceptions and pointing out the weaknesses of some of the other nominees in comparison. Ward's post season numbers are overall very good. This should help him.
    3) Anybody with access to some of Ward's best highlights should edit them together and create a "splash reel" that shows impressive plays: TDs, downfield catches, explosive tackle-breaking, and Ward's infamous blocking prowess. Most importantly, include all of his most FAMOUS plays. The voters have short memories, so don't get cute and think they remember the obvious stuff. Include it.
    4) Nothing you do will help if the man himself doesn't pitch in with 2-3 more reasonably strong seasons. He needs to make it to about 1,100 catches, 13,500 yards and 90 TDs to get strong consideration. 100 TDs would be a real plus, but that might not be doable at this point.
    5) Be patient, but keep reminding the voters how great your guy is/was. Get contact info for all of the HoF voters and canvas them POLITELY. Don't be overly contentious, or you could hurt your candidate. Ward will NOT get voted in on his first try. Do not pretend he should have after it doesn't happen. I see him going in after several years if he hits the above numbers. Again: be patient, but resolute and polite. You CAN help.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by cardboardbelt View Post
    I was involved heavily in pushing for Art Monk to get into the HoF a couple of years ago, and several factors seem to go into the voting process.
    I'll just address some of the stuff I've seen here and give some advice, since I'm rooting for Ward.
    1) Please stop quoting Ward's position as the team's all-time receiving leader. This does not help him. The Hall of Famers he outpaced in these stats played in a different era and the voters appear to understand this. Besides, there are lots of guys who can say the same thing about whatever team they played for, but who would never even be considered. Emphasize his place historically and compare his stats and accomplishments to a) his contemporaries and b) the other WR nominees when the voting starts happening.
    2) Another good thing to emphasize with Ward is not just his team's success in the post season and not just his Super Bowl MVP, but his overall strong play in the playoffs during his career. This appeared to work wonders in our support of Monk, disspelling some misconceptions and pointing out the weaknesses of some of the other nominees in comparison. Ward's post season numbers are overall very good. This should help him.
    3) Anybody with access to some of Ward's best highlights should edit them together and create a "splash reel" that shows impressive plays: TDs, downfield catches, explosive tackle-breaking, and Ward's infamous blocking prowess. Most importantly, include all of his most FAMOUS plays. The voters have short memories, so don't get cute and think they remember the obvious stuff. Include it.
    4) Nothing you do will help if the man himself doesn't pitch in with 2-3 more reasonably strong seasons. He needs to make it to about 1,100 catches, 13,500 yards and 90 TDs to get strong consideration. 100 TDs would be a real plus, but that might not be doable at this point.
    5) Be patient, but keep reminding the voters how great your guy is/was. Get contact info for all of the HoF voters and canvas them POLITELY. Don't be overly contentious, or you could hurt your candidate. Ward will NOT get voted in on his first try. Do not pretend he should have after it doesn't happen. I see him going in after several years if he hits the above numbers. Again: be patient, but resolute and polite. You CAN help.
    Good post!

Doc

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

wow, that might be the greatest first career forum post in the history of the forum.....

call JJ, Cardboarder....

I'd say if Ward has 2 more solid seasons, he'll get in eventually...

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    wow, that might be the greatest first career forum post in the history of the forum.....

call JJ, Cardboarder....

I'd say if Ward has 2 more solid seasons, he'll get in eventually...

Stop with the nonsense, he could retire today and be a certain hall of famer.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Fish, don't respond to my post......

respond to Cardboarders, he brings up very good points......and many of them are in direct contradiction to the points you bring up..... like talking about Hine's position on Steeler's all time lists....

let's make this an actual debate, and not a "stop with the nonsense" back and forth...

Fishhead

Funny thing is, HINES is one of my least liked players in the NFL...............

However, he is a cinch for the HOF, an absolute mortal lock.

Preston09
    You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
    Preston09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Not yet.

Fishhead

What a player Hines is, what a gamer!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Can't a person be the best ever second fiddle, a la Scottie Pippen? If Hines Ward has never been the best receiver on his team, then who has been a better number 2 in his time? Only John Taylor, Torry Holt and Amani Toomer come to mind.

Vesuvius
    Vesuvius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Y. E. S.

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Love the guy and he would always have a place on my team (not that I have one), but my reaction is no. Something is missing to put him in the HOF.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16129

if Lynn Swan had a tuff time getting in,,,,I see it hard for Ward to get in he needs a picture type moment ,,,somewhat like swans super bowl catches,,maybe if he had caught the super bowl winning TD instead of #10

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16129

posted this before i read cardboarders,,,nice post

Fishhead

MONK was eventually going to get in ............just like HINES will eventually get in the HOF.

The MONK post made this even more clear that Hines would eventually make the HOF ......even if he retired tommorrow.

DEAD STONE COLD lock to be inducted sometime in the future.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by msec512 View Post
    You guys are crazy. He'll be a 1st time ballot lock. Super Bowl MVP, 4 time Pro Bowler, plus 895 receptions. He'll probably play at least 2 or 3 more seasons. And end up with 1000 or more receptions.

well I'm glad to see that this thread has convinced fishhead to re-evaluate and admit that he'll get in eventually..... and not be a first ballot lock.

those media member voting committee's are a weird bunch.... very fickle, and many of them don't deserve a ballot any longer....

I love how they re-voted for nfl defensive rookie of the year, after Brian Cushing was found to have used PED's

and a handful of voters changed their votes from other players TOO cushing...

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

good question, I think stats wise he isn't in, but as Chi as committe is a weird crew

Fishhead

well I'm glad to see that this thread has convinced fishhead to re-evaluate and admit that he'll get in eventually..... and not be a first ballot lock.

those media member voting committee's are a weird bunch.... very fickle, and many of them don't deserve a ballot any longer....

I love how they re-voted for nfl defensive rookie of the year, after Brian Cushing was found to have used PED's

and a handful of voters changed their votes from other players TOO cushing...

When did I ever state this Archie?

SUREFIRE future HOF'ers do not have to be first ballot hall of famers............geezus

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

got to witness his 1,000th catch in person

still not sure if he is lock for the hall of fame

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9617

1st ballot, not always about stats

Keyshaun is no hall of famer though, even if he thinks he is

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

when all is said and done? he will have pretty impressive stats, but he was never a dominant receiver.... rarely even the #1 option on his own team.... maybe the huge smiles, trash talking, and jawbreaking blocks put him over the top?
    U never know ... People are saying kurt warner is not a hall of famer, if waner is not hall of fame, then hines ward isnt

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Kurt Warner is definitely a Hall of Famer. Phil Simms and Hines Ward are border line. So are a lot of those players that played on the 1970's Steelers teams that got in. I don't think they should have.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Nope

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

speaking of Steelers, sportsguy

I believe Jerome Bettis has made it to the next cut of players that the HOF committee is voting on

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

» Jerome Bettis, RB -- 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
    » Tim Brown, WR/KR -- 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    » *Jack Butler, CB -- (1951-59 Pittsburgh Steelers)
    » Cris Carter, WR -- 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
    » Dermontti Dawson, C -- 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers
    » Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner -- 1979-2000 San Francisco 49ers
    » Chris Doleman, DE/LB -- 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers
    » Kevin Greene, LB/DE -- 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
    » Charles Haley, DE/LB -- 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
    » Cortez Kennedy, DT -- 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks
    » Curtis Martin, RB -- 1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets
    » Bill Parcells, Coach -- 1983-1990 New York Giants, 1993-96 New England Patriots, 1997-99 New York Jets, 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys
    » Andre Reed, WR -- 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
    » Willie Roaf, T -- 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs
    » Will Shields, G -- 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
    » *Dick Stanfel, G -- (1952-55 Detroit Lions, 1956-58 Washington Redskins)
    » Aeneas Williams, CB/S -- 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

I always wondered about Terrell Davis -RB- Denver Broncos. Is he a Hall of Famer?

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4994

NO! was never even the number 1 receiver on his own team.

First 123 Last