bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vikes dock Williamson's pay for missing game for grandmother's funeral

This is classless for the Vikings to even do to Troy Williamson. That puppet Gene Upshaw better get this one appealed, and fast!

Vikes dock Williamson's pay for missing game for grandmother's funeral

The Minnesota Vikings have docked wide receiver Troy Williamson one game check for missing last Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers to attend the Monday funeral of his maternal grandmother.

Based on his 2007 salary of $435,000, the action by the Vikings will cost the three-year veteran $25,588. Williamson has 45 days to appeal Minnesota's decision to withhold his pay, and NFL Players Association sources said he will do so.

Coach Brad Childress told Twin Cities-area media following Thursday's practice that the decision was on a "business principle" of the Vikings organization.

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Childress cited the cases of two players, Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams and Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who appeared in games shortly after the deaths of family members.

Williamson's maternal grandmother, who helped to raise him and with whom he was very close, died last week and he returned to South Carolina, where he played a large role in arranging her funeral. He also had to make travel arrangements for several of his siblings, some of whom are in the armed services. He returned to the team on Wednesday as the Vikings began practicing for this Sunday's game against Green Bay.

The team apparently apprised Williamson on Wednesday that he would not receive a paycheck for the game that he missed.

"I don't care if they would have [taken] my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It wouldn't have mattered to me."

The team's first-round choice in the 2005 draft and regarded as Minnesota's best deep threat despite continuing inconsistencies that have marked his career, Williams has nine receptions for 159 yards and one touchdown while starting in six of seven games.

Williamson's agent, David Canter, revealed last week that his client's older brother was injured in an automobile accident in September and that he has been hospitalized in Georgia, where he has been in and out of a coma. He said Williamson, who has been able to spend only a little time visiting his brother, has been battling through the ordeal of "a grieving and healing" process and that his family is his first priority.

"What we have is both of the situations and circumstances coming to a head," Canter said. "His brother is in the hospital, and who knows what his health status will be? And then his grandma passing. He needs to be with his family. The Vikings are his extended family, and hopefully he can come back and continue to work to be the most successful he can be."

Canter declined comment Thursday evening on the decision by Minnesota officials to withhold Williamson's paycheck for last week.

Peyton2MarvinN06
    Peyton2MarvinN06's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dan,

Totally agree with ya on this one man! What a real poor show of judgment by the Vikings on this one... Think any big free agents are gonna want to come play for a team that does shvt like this? I think NOT!

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

That is unbelievable. I wouldn't put a price on something like this. By NFL standards the guy is not even making much either, so to tax him while he's grieving seems a bit much.

Junkyard Dog
    Get up and Get it
    Junkyard Dog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1899

wow what a scumbag move by the vikings

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Vikings

laxdjock
    Anyone but the SEC.
    laxdjock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Decisions like that sure make free agents want to move to MIN...I mean, who WOULDN'T want that on top of the 8' of snow they get.

I remember when Tony Dungy's son died the entire team flew out (I think on INDY's owner's jet) to the funeral. Obviously his team and the organization couldn't do that for Troy.....but some flowers would be nice. Nothing says inappropriate like a $25,000 fine!

I hope MIN loses by 5 TDs on Sunday....and not just because I bet money on GB.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by laxdjock View Post
    I hope MIN loses by 5 TDs on Sunday....and not just because I bet money on GB.
    I wouldn't go that far, I have the Vikings +6.

Crutch
    Crutch's Avatar Become A Pro!

that is absolutely rediculous

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

A poor reflection on the Vikings Management to do such a heartless thing.

I am sure his teammates feel the same thing.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like the Vikings had a change of heart, and gave him his check back.

Heres an update on this story.

Vikings to give back Williamson game check

MINNEAPOLIS -- Grieving Troy Williamson will get his last game check back.

Vikings coach Brad Childress called reporters Saturday to share the news, citing a need to change course that "came ringing back" to him following a weekly meeting with the veteran players on his leadership committee.

Last week, Williamson left the team to be with his family in South Carolina after the death of his grandmother, Celestine, to whom he was very close. An older brother of Williamson's, Carlton, has also been in and out of a coma following a September car crash.

In a statement issued by his agent, David Canter, Williamson thanked those who spoke up for him and offered support to his family during a trying time. He said he'll donate the returned check to charity in honor of his grandmother.

"My wish is that the issue is over, and that I can now go about being a football player and putting this matter behind me," Williamson said.

Williamson, the seventh overall selection in the 2005 draft who has produced little for Minnesota in 2½ seasons, chose to stay at home the entire week and not return for last Sunday's game.

The Vikings wanted the wide receiver back sooner, though, and docked him one paycheck for his absence -- which amounted to more than $25,000 of his $435,000 base salary. Players on the active roster are paid 17 times each season, for 16 games plus the bye week.

"I think the whole approach and intent, as with any organization, is to have guidelines so you have some continuity and don't do it haphazardly," Childress said.

In explaining the decision earlier this week, the coach pointed to other players who returned a day or two after deaths in the family.

On Saturday, Childress acknowledged he should have been more flexible and indicated owner Zygi Wilf was behind the revisitation of the issue.

"I think the important thing is everybody grieves differently. That's the thing that I learned, or we learned, in this," Childress said. "In the end, it's not important to be right, but to get it right."

He said Williamson would play Sunday against Green Bay "in all likelihood."

With sagging ticket sales and an unfulfilled drive for a new stadium, the Vikings (3-5) have been more proactive about public relations. Over the last several seasons, they've drawn criticism for a number of actions, words, or lack of words, that have come across as rigid or cold.

Most memorably, they cut Marcus Robinson last Christmas Eve after the wide receiver had had fallen out of favor with Childress.

NFL coaches don't often admit mistakes, but Childress has done that more than once in his second year on the job. After rookie running back Adrian Peterson carried the ball only twice in the second half of a loss to the Packers, Childress acknowledged two weeks later -- after the team's bye -- that the coaches weren't keeping close enough track of Peterson's touches.

The team will have to shell out another extra check this week, actually, after releasing quarterback Koy Detmer before the trip to Green Bay.

This came four days after he was signed as insurance in light of head injuries to Tarvaris Jackson and Kelly Holcomb. Holcomb's neck apparently improved enough in recent days for Minnesota to make the move.

Jackson is still a game-time decision, Childress said, following last week's concussion that knocked him out of the game against San Diego. Brooks Bollinger, who played well in relief, is the favorite to start Sunday.

Cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who plays primarily on special teams, was re-signed to the roster after being cut to make room for Detmer.

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good responses on both sides.

Hopefully the Vikings will turn the corner this weekend, but they still have a lot of questions on that team, and long way to go to catch DET and GB.

bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

because its a business that is practice all week and play on one day they expect you to be there for that one day not like a job that you work all week all year i understand that they have to stay fit in the offseason but they get payed to play 1 day a week.looks like the union needs to address funeral leave in their contracts

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by bbyhill View Post
    because its a business that is practice all week and play on one day they expect you to be there for that one day not like a job that you work all week all year i understand that they have to stay fit in the offseason but they get payed to play 1 day a week.looks like the union needs to address funeral leave in their contracts
    How come there is no bereavement leave in NFL? We get 3 days at my job.