jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is the new NFL under Rodger Goodell where things like players taking matters into their own hands are not acceptable. No player is now willing to risk fines or suspensions for going after Brady's knees even though the Pats are running up the score on teams that cannot stop them. Belichick is banking on the fact that teams are now restricted by some new tough stance on players taking things into their own hands when the opposing team tries to humiliate them.

If Brady and the Pats did something like running up the score and humiliating their opponents 10-15 years ago in the NFL, someone would have taken Brady or any number of their key players out by now.

Belichick is playing mind games with his opponents, the NFL, and the media. Opposing teams and the players talk tough in the media; however, no team (or player) is tough enough to take a stance on the field right now against what the Pats are doing. Until a team decides enough is enough, Belichick will continue to run rampant through the NFL and spit on every team in his way. And Belichick has every right to do so because the other teams on that playing field can't or won't do anything about it.

Let's hope the Colts have something to say about what is going on when they play New England this week, and if (or when) Brady gets his knees cut, New England fans better not be crying that it was unfair because Belichick's approach has set up a key injury to one of his players. If you can dish it out, you better be ready to take it as well.
    Last edited by jon13009; 11-02-07 at 07:26 AM.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just read the first 3 or 4 posts of this thread and felt compelled to make a comment. First of all, Shamswolf, I have played competitive sports at a high level (just to refute your earlier assumption) and I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. Thoe only people who should be concerned about this are Patriots fans, as a garbage-time injury would be devastating. That said, think about this from all angles. In my opinion, the only time running up the score on an opponent isn't fair is in college athletics when there is just a severe talent disparity between the two teams (e.g. Michigan plays Appalachian St in NCAAF---oops, bad example). But you know, when a college football or basketball is just completely demolishing a D-III school and everybody is collectively cringing... Well, that's when you don;t run the score up. Some colleges simply can't compete and for that, you don;t want to crush these guys spirits' any more than necessary.

In the professional leagues, however, you're dealing with a bunch of severely overpaid (by societal standards) individuals who are in the entertainment business. People pay good money to see your team play, and you in turn, as an athlete, give it your all. That's the flow of business. If an MLB team was so dominant that they could score 20 runs a game, every game, wouldn't you find that fascinating? If an NHL team was so dominant that they could win by an average margin of 7 goals, wouldn't that make their dominance that much more pronounced? Did watching 1st round KO's from Mike Tyson bother you? How about watching the MJ-led Bulls poor it on or Tiger Woods winning by 13 strokes? Should they have let up? But when you talk about the NFL, it gets so damn bitchy... I don't like the Patriots, but I'll confess, I'm completely enthralled by the way they're playing football this season. It's good for the NFL (even if it involves making the Pats the Yankees of the NFL in the Darth Vader role), and it's great for the paying fans who don't want to watch Matt Cassell play the entire 4th quarter. I don't shed tears for professional athletes and I applaud a team for truly playing balls-to-the-wall for 60 minutes.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highs...t&lid=tab3pos1

Now this is an example of when its good to take your foot off the brake. Kudos to the coach for good sportsmanship.

Furt
    Furt's Avatar Become A Pro!

there is a big difference between NCAA football and the NFL. These guys get a pay check, its their job. I HATE the Patriots... but stop crying because they are beating the shvt out of teams. They're all grown men, I don't really care if the players or the fans of these teams have bruised egos. Maybe they should've played a bit harder or not given up so early. For example, the Pats are better than the Skins but not 45 pts better... I lay that all on the skins. I don't know if they were intimidated, didn't prepare hard enough or if they gave up too early but its all on them.

If we're talking NCAA and its OSU v Kent St then okay, let up a bit, they are kids and there is a huge difference between the athletic programs. But not in the NFL, its a level playing field. Stop whining about it, its annoying

Furt
    Furt's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not saying that its the right thing to do. I agree, its not a classy move. But we all know, and have known for a while, BELICHICK IS NOT A CLASSY GUY. he wasn't when he coached the Browns and he isn't now. But get over it. He wins and he wins big. Its not a classy move but I'm sick of hearing people whine about it like little girls

NapoleonEli
    NapoleonEli's Avatar Become A Pro!

They covered my spread so I aint mad. .

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Quote Originally Posted by mgcolby View Post
    Gotta love that Cowboy's "Class", this from Patrick Crayton on NFL live about the Patriots.

"The sun shines on the dogs*ss every once in a while, perhaps that was their day to shine" - Patrick Crayton

All class baby!
    Patrick crayton is the man, the Cowboys are America's team and they can say what they want.

mgcolby
    mgcolby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 498

Quote Originally Posted by MJFtheGenius View Post
    Patrick crayton is the man, the Cowboys are America's team and they can say what they want.
    Patrick Crayton is a ball dropping joke that doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. But he does learn from the best!

Maybe instead of running his mouth he should be running extra hand drills....just a thought.

First 123