SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

NBC Host Collinsworth Crowns the Patriots

Cris said that he's played around all time great teams, namely the 85 Bears, and he said he firmly believes this Patriots team is the best he has EVER seen. Bob Costas, his co-host, let out a "whaaat" seeming somewhat surprised by the bold statement.

Do you agree / disagree? If you disagree name what team you feel was better.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

We are only 6 weeks in. Hard to crown someone at this point. Until they win the Super Bowl, I couldn't say that. Don't get me wrong, they do look good.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

onlòóker said it best. Collinsworth's statement is crazy. They look great, but come on. They still have 10 games left in the regular season. Let's just wait before before we crown them.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

Just fill in the Bears with Patriots.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I had a feeling my "crown them" comment might bring up old Green.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've come to the conclusion that the only time you can bet against the Patriots is when they are playing a really bad team - like the Cleveland game, or this coming week - or when (if?) they play a really good team that can slow the passing game. I don't know that the Colts will beat them, I think maybe the Ravens will.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

pitt will

ravens are a joke

indy wins the afc

the end

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the Pats, and may well keep betting on them. I won with them today.

To beat them, you have to find a way to move the ball against them, and you have got to shut down Brady.

Check this out. I will list the teams they have played, and the teams they will play. In parentheses, I will put the rank of each of those teams' pass defenses (YPG passing allowed).

Jets (25)
    Chargers (27)
    Bills (32 (last in NFL))
    Bengals (28)
    Browns (31)

Cowboys (12)

Dolphins (3)
    Redskins (8)
    Colts (4)
    Bills (32)
    Eagles (21)
    Ravens (13)
    Steelers (2)
    Jets (25)
    Dolphins (3)
    Giants (20)

In the first 5 weeks, they played 5 of the 8 worst-ranked pass defenses in the NFL. (Of course, it could be that one of the things that gave those teams such bad pass defense stats was having to play the Patriots ... but still ....)

The Cowboys have an above-average pass defense, but they are not one of the elite in that category.

The Steelers and Colts have excellent pass defenses (2nd and 4th in NFL, YPG passing against), complemented by adequate to very good run defenses. I believe that's what will make those interesting tests for the Patriots.

The Dolphins are ranked third in pass defense. But don't be fooled by that. The Dolphins have great pass defense numbers only because noone has to pass against them. They have the second worst run defense in football. When you can run, you run. Check out Denver; same thing.

It looks to me like two teams might have a chance of shutting down the Patriots' offense. The Steelers and the Colts.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the only time you can bet against the Patriots is when they are playing a really bad team - like the Cleveland game, or this coming week - or when (if?) they play a really good team that can slow the passing game. I don't know that the Colts will beat them, I think maybe the Ravens will.
    Dude, exactly! They can't play high-strung every game. They love the spotlight and when the attention is on them. If it is not they tend to slack off and do not play with the same emotion. I bet on them when there is something on the line otherwise its not worth it due to the high spread.

austintx05

The Cowboys have an above-average pass defense

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah. You're right about that. That was a poor choice of words. But it at least qualified as "mediocre" before today. Or at least better than the Bills.
    Last edited by regularguy; 10-15-07 at 02:07 AM.

EGGY6199
    EGGY6199's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

I saw this and thought ??????? Dallas sucks on D and as I predicted they have been shown up as fakes. Now for just someone to kill the Packers one week/

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

If you're listening to Collinsworth, you've got problems.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Why? He was just stating his opinion. He is not a random analyst they hired because he played football, he is one of few quality NFL analysts.

Even if Collinsworth statement is premature, I do have a feeling we are in fact witnessing history with this New England team, and I'm no New England fan. I don't think anyone can keep up with them, and barring major injuries Brady and Belichick will be Super Bowl champions again.

austintx05

07 Pats = 05 Colts

think about it

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I like Collinsworth myself..

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    Why? He was just stating his opinion. He is not a random analyst they hired because he played football, he is one of few quality NFL analysts.

Even if Collinsworth statement is premature, I do have a feeling we are in fact witnessing history with this New England team, and I'm no New England fan. I don't think anyone can keep up with them, and barring major injuries Brady and Belichick will be Super Bowl champions again.
    I guess there are worse analysts out there. I just don't get any of my analysis from from the mouth of Collinsworth. The guy seems nice enough, just not much of a fountain of wisdom or anything. I do agree with his opinion about the Patriots, but it didn't take him saying it to give me that opinion. I was on the bandwagon almost as soon as the Pats signed Moss in the offseason.

As far as the NFL TV analysts, I'm not a fan of many of them. Shannon Sharp is probably my favorite. He tells it how it is, he's got recent NFL experience at the top level. He seems to have an above average NFL IQ. He is verbally eloquent, at least IMHO. He can get a little over the top, but that just adds to the entertainment value. As far as guys like Howie Long, Dan Marino, Dan Dierdorf, etc, give me a barf bag. Those guys actually make Collinsworth look intelligent & interesting, which is a major accomplishment.

I don't mean to trash on Collinsworth, he's a nice enough guy. His analysis just seems canned and sterile most of the time.
    Last edited by slacker00; 10-16-07 at 04:19 AM.

Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

I think it's a little early in the season to make such an assessment. Wait til after Dec. 9th - then we'll see who's the best team in the NFL

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I actually love Collinsworth. He's the best out there IMO. Just a bit of premature exuberation here.