SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Early Rams vs Ravens Thoughts

I'm probably off my rocker here, but somehow I have a feeling St. Louis will win this game outright. They are 0-5, have looked horrible, but they also scored 31 points last week with a new QB. They are about to start a stretch of road games, they have not started 0-6 since 1962 and nobody believes in them at all. If this team eclipses that record, the head coach knows his job is finished next year.

Lucky for them, The Ravens have such an utterly anemic offense that if Gus (assuming he gets the nod over Bulger) gets the start and can throw 3 touchdowns again (or heck even 2), while not being a double agent and throwing to Ed Reed I think they've got a very good shot here. The Ravens have not scored an offensive touchdown in their last 13 series amounting to 88 plays.

So that's just me, I really like +470.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9410

Baltimore's schedule is so weak early in the season it's a miracle they are 3-2. They stink.

Baltimore is 0-5 ATS this season.

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Like Baltimore vs an awfully banged up Rams squad missing most of their Offensive line

Teasem
    Teasem's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've fallen with you.......

+10 seems a stretch

2 units to cover
    1 unit ML

45 years since 0-6 and Baltimore doesn't scare anybody, they beat the 49's by a whopping 2 points last week....

RAMS OUTRIGHT

jonmic
    jonmic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9062

St. Louis will show up the play and have a chance to win out right

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is absolutely no way at all the Rams can win this game out right Jonmic.

Stephen Jackson and Bulger are out again. Not to mention the fact that the Rams locker room right now is in complete turmoil.

elliott0924
    elliott0924's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is Jackson out this week to?

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

atleast frerotte looked decent last week..ima go wit rams

Teasem

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    There is absolutely no way at all the Rams can win this game out right Jonmic.

Stephen Jackson and Bulger are out again. Not to mention the fact that the Rams locker room right now is in complete turmoil.

"Absolutely no way" and "NFL" (please note this goes for talking about teams in the league and not just the abbreviation for the football league) should never be used in the same sentence together........I stopped after the Patriots took the Rams Superbowl - NO WAY

justdoingit
    justdoingit's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have been winning off going against the ravens all year so far and im not stoping now i wish i got them at +10 but +9.5 will work.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

After seeing the Jets and Cardinals come back on the Ravens defense and the Browns making big plays a few weeks ago it's safe to say the Ravens defense isn't the same as in past years. I think the Rams have a chance if they don't make mistakes, make a few big plays on offense.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    I'm probably off my rocker here, but somehow I have a feeling St. Louis will win this game outright. They are 0-5, have looked horrible, but they also scored 31 points last week with a new QB. They are about to start a stretch of road games, they have not started 0-6 since 1962 and nobody believes in them at all. If this team eclipses that record, the head coach knows his job is finished next year.

Lucky for them, The Ravens have such an utterly anemic offense that if Gus (assuming he gets the nod over Bulger) gets the start and can throw 3 touchdowns again (or heck even 2), while not being a double agent and throwing to Ed Reed I think they've got a very good shot here. The Ravens have not scored an offensive touchdown in their last 13 series amounting to 88 plays.

So that's just me, I really like +470.
    The Rams win the game outright. They start a different quarterback than the miserable failure that has been starting. Don't know who yet.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7178

I have mixed feelings about this game, Rams are downright awful right now but Baltimore has shown me nothing either, I think taking the points will be a very good option here because it could be one of them 9-3 games or something like that, taking the Rams with the ML is stretching it though.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tblues2005 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this game, Rams are downright awful right now but Baltimore has shown me nothing either, I think taking the points will be a very good option here because it could be one of them 9-3 games or something like that, taking the Rams with the ML is stretching it though.
    Here is the way I do it on dogs. I bet two units on the spread and 1 unit on the ML. If the team wins outright you win the vig plus 2 units. If you cover the spread but lose the game you win 1 unit. Of course if you don't cover the spread you lose 3 units. LOL

Teasem

Curious has the right bet here....

2 units on the tasty spread

1 unit ML

Rams 17
    Ravens 10

area51steve
    area51steve's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think st.louis will win as banged up as they are but I would take the rams and the points. Baltimore can't cover games for sh*t this year. The ravens couldn't even cover a 3.5 point spread against the 49ers last week.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7178

I am leaning towards taking the under in this game, I think it is going to be a very boring game to watch. It could be 9-3 or something like that, remember the 49ers game, that was a boring football game.

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate to be a naysayer, but the Rams are just real bad. And, don't get me wrong, that's not easy for me to say. I was a Rams fan way back. I consider them the Los Angeles Rams of St. Louis.

The season is now far enough along that stats are starting to matter. Compare the Rams' stats to the the Ravens' stats before you put too much cash on this ML. I personally use ESPN's site for quick checks. It's convenient:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...on=2&year=2007

The Ravens are better than the Rams at everything, and, by the way, the Ravens are actually pretty good at one thing: defense against the run.

The Rams have just been all around bad.

But, hey, anything can happen, and +470 is a hefty return. The Rams will win one or two this year despite themselves. Go for it if you feel an upset in your gut on this one. But don't kid yourself. This would be a big upset.

I'm sitting this one out, but thanks for the thread. It prompted me to take a look.

And, by the way, thanks for all the good thoughts on this forum, you guys. I appreciate the wisdom, especially from the guys who seem to be regulars. I've been betting on football for quite a while, and I'll do my best to contribute something useful now and then. Warning, though: sometimes I'm delusional when it comes to this stuff.
    Last edited by regularguy; 10-12-07 at 07:13 PM.

EGGY6199
    EGGY6199's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't like this game.

True the Ravens have been just dam poor on Off but they have some weapons and I can move the ball against these Rams. They have a good chance to run all day.

They are at home.
    The Rams Off Line is down
    Main Weapons are injuried and not playing 100%.
    the D is still good

I just can't see the Rams beating anyone and not the Ravens at home

However you can not trust the Ravens to cover themsevles in public never mind a spread of +10

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey Eggy, I'm getting interested in this game.

Check this: the Rams are 27th (out of 32 of course) in total D (average yards per game allowed); the Ravens are 4th. And if you look a layer deeper, it's all about their run defenses. Both have similarly so-so pass defenses. The Ravens, though, have an awesome defense against the run, while the Rams have about the 4th or 5th worst in football.

So the Rams' rather lame running game will be ineffective against the Ravens, and the Ravens, with a substantially better running game, will run all over the Rams. This really about seals the deal for me.

But, just for the helluvit, who can pass? Ravens: 10th in the NFL. Rams: 23rd. (Average passing yards per game.)

Seattle Slew has a good point, though; the Ravens' opponents have been weak. That makes it a lot easier to put up some respectable stats.

And, make no mistake, every point made by crazyl is right on the money.

And, as several posters noted, the Ravens' wins have been thin. Jets by 7; Cards by 3; 49ers by 2. Certainly not overpowering. Lame in fact. But wait.... Maybe this makes for nice sandbagging. It could be what keeps the line from being even higher. Because, given the teams' stats, its amazing that this line is only one touchdown over the home-field three.

Uhhhhh ... beware ... I do get seduced sometimes by two-score home favorites.

But, dang. I think the Ravens are ready to show off to the home crowd, and the Rams are in bad, bad shape, at their foundations (the lines of scrimmage). I'm thinking the Ravens will have the ball about 2/3 of the time.

Turns out I'm not going to sit this one out. I think this is probably going to get a play from me on the Ravens to cover.
    Last edited by regularguy; 10-11-07 at 12:45 AM. Reason: anal

bumatthebeach
    bumatthebeach's Avatar Become A Pro!

Take Em BUT Don't Get Taken

SURE, agreed the rams will win a game or two this year but certainly not this weekend IN Balto. SURE, the line is insane, granted, but the Ravens, known for just getting by, when they do win, will mix it up on offense....almost even in run to pass ratio...that's how they play at HOME, especially against a miserable D in all respects. Trust me if only this once...I follow this team religiously(and I'm not a religious soul) SO if you want to score on this particular game, take the rams PLUS the points. Take the Rams on a straight-out win and you'll be calling them the St. Louis GOATS next week.

PS-you can thank me now or be De-Horned on Sunday!

EGGY6199
    EGGY6199's Avatar Become A Pro!

sums it up you can't trust the Raven Off. I think this however is their chance to put up some points if they ever will hence could cover as the Rams will be throwing picks this week.

No way Rams win on ML there just isn't any reason why they should. At least the Bills had the fact it was home field adv and Monday night Football.

The Rams have nothing

mahoffer
    mahoffer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anybody else lose last week because BAL could not cover 3.5 against SF? STL is the same calibur team as SF, but possibly with a better offense. 10 points is a ton for that BAL offense to cover, let alone score that much! STL +10 is the pick.

eggy6198
    eggy6198's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mate That's a bad example as the 49ers have an okay D. They got burnt by the Steelers but where actually in that game.

The Rams just have no D maybe the worst in football. I actually did not trust the Ravens to cover that spread so played them on the ML which won.

The Ravens are not good off but do from time put some big points on teams. The Rams will not be able to run the ball hence will be having to throw under preasure as their off line is a mess.

No way they will score many however due to fact I don't trust the Ravens like you I will Pass however the play is Ravens -10 or the under

Thomasha7
    Thomasha7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I also think the Ravens win. But will they cover the spread. I doubt it. I think it's a safe bet to take the points even with a ravens win.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Can't someone tell me if an NFC team ever beat the Ravens at their home?

Rams will get crushed. They also play very poorely on grass against AFC teams.

cooljw
    cooljw's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think the Rams will be able to run the ball effectively against the Ravens. That will force Frerotte to go pass wacky and as a result I think the Ravens will turn them over a lot. Could be a big scoring day for the Ravens defense resulting in a win for them.

slake
    slake's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate the Ravens but you guys are nuts to be taking St Louis ML! As poorly as Balt has played they're still stronger than the Rams. You guys put way too much weight on single games.
    Ravens win and have a decent shot to cover.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4315

I hope the Ravens shut the Rams down, because they will be my new Defense on my fantasy team.

I have no bets in this match up.

ws1975
    ws1975's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1486

No Jackson, no Bulger, no dice.

Take Baltimore.

Skidcom
    Skidcom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19727

After reading all of this analysis I am starting to think the under is the best play here.

wolves
    wolves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I cannot see the Rams winning this game, but who can really see Balt winning by much.
    After reading all the stats, I think the safest is the under.
    Way under especially on a teaser.

Teasem

Well if you like that and your book allows it

Tease

Rams +16
    Under

jdub
    jdub's Avatar Become A Pro!

10 points is alot to give up i dont care who is playen who

Dan
    Dan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

I went Rams +10.5 and then a lesser bet on the ML Rams.

12 Last