bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

$500,000 and a first rounder

Talk about sending a message

Bill Belichick was hit with a $500,000 fine Thursday night -- the maximum allowable by NFL by-laws -- for violating the league's policy on videotaping the Jets defensive signs Sunday. In addition, Roger Goodell notified the Patriots that they would forfeit a 2008 first-round draft choice if they reach the playoffs, or second- and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs. The club was also fined $250,000.

moneyplays
    moneyplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

Goodell is CLEANING UP HOUSE! Good for him.

You know Kraft will re-fill Belichicks pockets I'm sure.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Okay I actually like Roger Goodell's decision here, normally I think he is too heavy handed but he did the right thing here.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

The ole Commish didn't use any KY Jelly on BB did he?

He just took Billy out behind the woodshed whipped out his :dick: and dry **** 'd the living shit out of him !

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

They should make them forfeit their championships.

Good for you Goodell.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

They should have declared the Jets game a loss, 28-0.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Suspend Belichick. Anything else is a slap on the wrist.

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

i'm so tired of hearing these teams complain. i am not a belichick or ne fan, but if they suspected ne of doing this, don't you think they would have more complicated signs? this goes on all the time, ne was just dumb enough to get caught, the guy was filming from the sidelines. he could have been sitting in the stands with a zoom camera doing the same thing

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

you aint cheating you aint trying.......I think that belichick deserves a reach around at least.....

area51steve
    area51steve's Avatar Become A Pro!

Now lets see how the patriots do without cheating. Would be funny if they get beat down by the chargers in week 2.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    So punish the players as well? Are you 100% sure that whole team knew what was going on? Do you want your bet back as well?

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BatemanPatrickl View Post
    So punish the players as well? Are you 100% sure that whole team knew what was going on? Do you want your bet back as well?
    I didn't bet on this game. Either this was a very serious infraction in which case the entire franchise should be punished, or it wasn't a very serious infraction in which case why the *&$# are we talking about it?

If this "cheating" allowed the Patriots to win the game, which is what the NFL is implying, then the NFL needs to back up that accusation by declaring the game a loss. If the NFL doesn't do that then they don't have a lot of room to imply that the cheating allowed the Patriots to win the game.

And if the cheating didn't help the Patriots win the game, then what is all the fuss about?

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

I didn't bet on this game. Either this was a very serious infraction in which case the entire franchise should be punished, or it wasn't a very serious infraction in which case why the *&$# are we talking about it?

If this "cheating" allowed the Patriots to win the game, which is what the NFL is implying, then the NFL needs to back up that accusation by declaring the game a loss. If the NFL doesn't do that then they don't have a lot of room to imply that the cheating allowed the Patriots to win the game.

And if the cheating didn't help the Patriots win the game, then what is all the fuss about?
    The right thing was done; case closed for now.

begolf25
    begolf25's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Suspend Belichick. Anything else is a slap on the wrist.
    Agreed, based on the suspensions Goodell has been handing out for other violations this is letting him off easy.

TheOne
    TheOne's Avatar Become A Pro!

First of all this will in no way affect the patriots game. They will not start losing all of a sudden. They are still the best or second best team in league.

Secondly...If anyone thinks the patriots are the only ones taping or looking at other peoples signals your crazy!! Mike Shanahan admitted a few yrs back that he keeps guys with binoculers pin pointed on the other teams D. Belichick wasnt the first coach to do this and he wont be the last.

Third...Mangini was obviously a part of taping when he used to work for Belichick and I'm sure he does it himself for the Jets. He's just a whinny bitch who needed to taddle. The "Man-snitch" T-shirts are already being printed in New England as we speak.

Lastly it was a slap on the wrist plan and simple for one reason only. The commissioner isnt stupid and must know that not necessarily video taping but things like this are going on all over the league. 500,000 to Belichick is about $1000 bucks to most people and dont think for a minute that the Patriots arent going to pay that for him.

....they are still Super Bowl bound this year and next and so on..

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think its something all of the teams do, they just are not careless enough to get caught.....

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Losing a 1st rd draft pick and $500,000 from his bank account is not a "slap on the wrist". All a formal suspension would accomplish is barring him from the stadium on game day, what's to stop him from communicating with the guys upstairs? I think Goodell got his point across with his punishment.

remmy358
    remmy358's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    Losing a 1st rd draft pick and $500,000 from his bank account is not a "slap on the wrist". All a formal suspension would accomplish is barring him from the stadium on game day, what's to stop him from communicating with the guys upstairs? I think Goodell got his point across with his punishment.
    i disagree. he should have been suspended. period.

Tus
    Tus's Avatar Become A Pro!

A Win is still a win and a lost still a lost. Jets does not comparable to Patriot. New England still on top of NY Jets so it doesn't matter who is cheating or just because they are too good for this year and people afraid that they might win another superball...Please don't spoil a good team like NEW ENGLAND

IWishIWasRich
    IWishIWasRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

The decision has been made. All this "I think they should forfeit the Jet's game, I think he should have been suspended, they should take their championships away from them" is all wasted rhetoric from New England haters. Sure, it was wrong, that is a pretty big penalty. No, I don't think it will change the way the players play unless it makes them play harder.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why a forfeit though, because this never ended up factoring into the game at all.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

I would have preferred a suspension.