TheOne
    TheOne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone winning??

I have an honest question and lets not brag unless its deserved. Is anyone actually making any money over the long run betting on games?...... (being ahead this season isnt considered the long run)

...just curious if this is actually working for anybody...

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I can't do it strictly by handicapping, but I'm trying very hard to learn the handicapping ropes. This will be my third season at it, and I still haven't figured it out enough to consider myself a professional.

I've made an overall profit in the past by chasing bonuses, hitting soft lines, and even grabbing the occasional arb here and there. For making plays, I mostly follow a mix of handicappers that have a strong track record, shop for the best line while also trying to churn whatever bonuses I can.

Right now, I'm not really betting, but using my time trying to sharpen my handicapping mind. This is only a hobby for me, I could never feed myself on the money I've made betting sports.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the best things to do when betting is to record all your bets. Always look back and see what is winning, but more importantly where you are losing. You will quickly learn some valuable lessons there. I read that a long time ago and when I finally started doing it I learned a lot. Also working for a book a couple of years helped a lot.

RageWizard
    RageWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've been investing in the NFL seriously since 2000. The first two years were down years ( only small losses but still down years.) After the second year I really applied money management to my investments and came up with a yearly plan with my picks. That's when I started to make money. It's all a matter of coming up with a yearly plan for playing and sticking to it. Try not to let your emotions get the best of you, and don't start chasing your losses. People start to get in trouble when they hit a losing streak and start trying to make all the money back in one week end or even one game. A good example is taking a look at how my year has gone so far. I pick one game a week, and have a set amount that has been predetermined several months ago to play on that game. I haven't won since week 2 of the preseason and I think that philly really screwed me last week, but with the money management plan that is in place I'm only down about 8.5 units for the year. I know that eventually the ball will bounce my way and I will make a profit this year.

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

of course im going to do well, ive got something that no one else has...a system

(my personal system is not telling people how much i lose)