bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tiki says he quit because of Coughlin

I think we all sorta speculated this from the start after the team rebelled again Coughlin a couple of years ago.

Report: Tiki writes in book that he might still be playing if not for Coughlin

Tiki Barber has already used the television airwaves to rip his former team and now the retired Giants running back reportedly is criticizing them in print.

In excerpts of his new book "Tiki: My Life in the Game and Beyond" obtained by the New York Daily News, Barber writes that he might still be playing if Tom Coughlin weren't still coaching the Giants. The book goes on sale Sept. 18.

"If Tom Coughlin had not remained as head coach of the Giants, I might still be in a Giants uniform," Barber writes, according to the Daily News.

"[Coughlin] robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football," Barber wrote, according to the newspaper. "I had lost that. He had taken it away."

Barber credits Coughlin with solving his chronic fumbling problems but wrote that he believes it was his performance that kept Coughlin employed by the Giants. Under Coughlin, Barber ranked among the NFL's top five rushers; in the three seasons beginning in 2004, Barber gained 1,518 (fifth), 1,860 (second) and 1,662 yards (fourth).

"It's a double-edged sword, because as much as Coach Coughlin helped me, I also helped Tom Coughlin," Barber wrote, according to the newspaper.

According to the Daily News, Barber also claims in the book that he was shorted about $10 million in his career by the Giants, who underpaid him compared with other top running backs.

Last month, Barber criticized Giants quarterback Eli Manning. Barber had said that Manning's attempt to lead an offensive meeting in the 12th week of the last season was "comical" at times.

After sarcastically noting that Barber was making a smooth transition from the playing field to television, the normally reserved Manning said he could have questioned Barber's leadership last season for calling out Coughlin and then having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season. It turned out to be a major distraction for the Giants.

Skankdog
    Skankdog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tiki is a B itch, enough already. What a cry baby!

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

drama queen

Benson17
    Benson17's Avatar Become A Pro!

If he hated Coughlin so much, why didn't he ask to be traded?

Halcyon
    Halcyon's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think everyone on that team hates Coughlin, Tiki is the only one that can come out and say it now, but im sure the rest will once he is fired (at the end of this season)

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who had grown weary of Tiki's act...

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Tiki's book?

Who's buying that? I'd buy OJ's book before I bought that garbage.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Tiki Who?

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Before he announced his retirement mid-season, all people would talk about is how classy Tiki Barber is. Even during that whole thing, Tiki still had plenty supporters. Now it seems he's sort of tarnished his rep as a quiet and mild-mannered guy, and turned himself into this media outlet who feels the need to be so controversial and call people out all the time. There are other ways to do a job Tiki, especially if you're popular to begin with.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I agree. This clown is such a dick. I won't watch one second of NBC's pregame with this guy. Not that I was going to watch anyways. What a drama queen. Get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    Tiki's book?

Who's buying that? I'd buy OJ's book before I bought that garbage.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

If Tiki had been saying this all along, I might have some respect for him. A lot of people don't like their mean old coaches or teachers, and they don't quit. But I don't have any respect for him now, can't stand the spineless little jellyfish who do this sort of crap to sell a book. If I ran a company selling panty liners, I'd seek him out to be a spokesperson right now.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    If I ran a company selling panty liners,
    Foreshadowing?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I find it interesting that even at the professional level players want to enjoy the game, and don't appreciate a coach who takes that enjoyment away.

Tiki didn't really say it now. He said it earlier. It's in a book that took time to put together and is timed to the start of the NFL season. This is the typical controversy when a player gives an inside look into his team (England's soccer league has this on a pretty regular basis). As to issues of loyalty, Barber is no longer under contract with the Giants and doesn't have to be politically correct about them.

In my opinion Tiki would have been ill advised to say any of this during his playing career. Former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam had a similar book published while he was still with the team. An A+ for honesty. Just one problem. The manager didn't appreciate it, and it soon cost Stam his spot on the team.

Anyway, this stuff blows over in no time. A month from now nobody will remember.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 09-06-07 at 01:25 PM.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I hear what you're saying, DH. Just that in this day and age, it's awfully tough to really believe anyone who comes out with a 'tell all' after the fact like this. And while it is indeed safer and easier to keep your trap shut while you're working, it's also easy not to grant much respect for someone who only rakes the muck after the fact.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agreed. It would be classier not to come out with such a book. But it's an insignificant publication, so why read significance into it?