bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Garrard to be starting QB; Jags to trade or release Leftwich

I must admit I didn't see this one coming.

Sources: Garrard to be starting QB; Jags to trade or release Leftwich

The Jacksonville Jaguars will name David Garrard their starting quarterback for the 2007 season on Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Team and league sources said that former starter Byron Leftwich will likely be traded or released.

Leftwich missed 15 games the last two seasons because of an injured left ankle. He had surgery last November, more than a month after coach Jack Del Rio benched him in favor of Garrard.

The Jaguars have been actively calling teams around the league to gauge interest in Leftwich, who is in the last year of his contract. He had been designated as the starter in the offseason by Del Rio.

Team sources said Garrard's continued development in training camp and preseason convinced Del Rio that Garrard was the right quarterback for the team.

The Jaguars are also trying to acquire a veteran quarterback to serve as a backup and may turn to former Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell.

Garrard went 145-of-241 for 1,735 yards, 10 touchdowns and nine interceptions last season, with a passer rating of 80.5.

Leftwich was 108-of-183 for 1,159 yards, seven TDs and five interceptions last season, with a passer rating of 79.0.

Skankdog
    Skankdog's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is about time! Garrard will get them to the playoffs!

bigboydan

I wonder where Leftwich will end up.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Wow, I didn't expect that either.

It's a good move IMO, but I didn't think they'd do it.

Got to make some adjustments to my jags ratings.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

If you watch the games - and TIVO is a godsend (with NFL network) in this - you would've seen this coming just out of camp and into game 1 of the preseason.

If there was a prop, I would've been all in on it. The release/trade part? That part is surprisingly intelligent by the jags. On the otherhand - There was no comparison at all in any of the first 3 jags games I saw. Leftwich has some SERIOUS issues. I don't know if he ever recovered from previous injuries as his mechanics are at an alltime low.

He looks as bad as any 3rd string (or later) QB I've seen all pre-season, and I've seen them all. His mobility is close to where it was at it's peak, but his 'feet' in the pocket STINK worse than any time I've ever seen him - and I'm not a college guy, but I watched him in college (I was bonin a girl that went to Marshall at the time - whachgonnado). Also, his accuracy was at such a variance, that you wonder if the guy ever threw a football.

Week 1/2 preseason should've been the LATEST this change should've happened, and it was clear. Sorry for not posting sooner on the issue.... But the jags do have nice depth, so the first team with Leftwich was always the liability.

I mean, if you watch the games - you can see just how far he has fallen. It's a shame - the guy is a winner. He's got to end up with a good coach that can help him get his game back as he is a legit NFL starter and pocket passer... But damn, I've seen scrub college QBs in Division 2 that were more effective than him. I'm not just saying that. That's how bad he has been. I can't even remember any 'NFL' throw that he hasn't missed by more than 5-10 yds this preseason - although I have NOT watched the Jags tape from their 4th game yet. I felt all along, though, watching him this year, that Garrard is the man for the Jags. 10-6 at best for them, likely 9-7/8-8, pending if they beat the colts one time (which they should, they have sooo much talent on both sides of the ball - minus a starting center for a couple weeks - but they do have a serviceable backup).

Thanks again, NFL Network + Tivo:>.

Don Dollars
    Don Dollars's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am very surprised by this move. I believe that maybe Leftwich wasn't the answer, but I am not sure Garrard is. I think Leftwich gave them the best chance to win this year and he would be motivated to be playing in a contract year. Why didn't they address QB in the draft. Why did they pass on Culpepper? Are they really comfortable at QB. Disappointing move for a team that I though had a real chance to excel this year.

Leftwich to Kansas City? Minnesota?

OrionSky
    OrionSky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Atlanta?

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by OrionSky View Post
    Atlanta?
    That would be the ideal place for him to wind up really, because Harrington just ain't gonna cut it as a starter.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Atl is actually interesting. I think he'd be better served in Philly or Tampa (If Gruden or Reid can't turn him around - no one can). KC is another interesting option - but I don't remember offhand their offensive coaches. It won't happen, but Denver would be another great spot for him to go to.

bigboydan

I will say Tampa Bay could sure the hell use him.

Peyton2MarvinN06
    Peyton2MarvinN06's Avatar Become A Pro!

This really is a shocking story to me... Especially since last week I was just hearing that Leftwich was looking great in camp and they thought he may lead them to the promise land this season! I couldn't have been more surprised to hear of the Garrard move... Yeah he is a solid QB, but will he really make it happen for them? I guess we shall wait and see... I think the best place for Leftwich to end up would be ATL... Tampa has a BOATLOAD of QB's and Gruden is stuck on Garcia as the starter and still loves Chris Simms talent. Someone will pick Lord Byron up because he still has some good years ahead of him in the league! VERY INTERESTING!!!

What does everyone think of the line in the Tenn/Jacksonville game now? I still like the Jags laying the points at home with their running game! Anyone else?

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't agree with the decision at all. Garrard may have some upside in terms of what he can do, but his arm is nowhere near as powerful and I really don't see him as a long term solution.

Kansas City is another place which might be interested in him, I also agree that Atlanta may be an ideal fit. Reggie Williams was on Sirius radio yesterday and he said he felt that Byron was the guy, and brought more to the table than Garrard.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Potential doesn't always equal wins... Byron ain't himself. Del Rio has to win this year or he's done.
    Garrard has a solid record for a backup - who knows what'l happen when he's 'the guy'. I do think it was the right move for that team right now.

I don't like the line at all in that game right now: -6 1/2 is pretty steep - and almost makes me favor the Titans. Hard to bet against Vince. But hard to bet against the Jags at home - and wanting to smack Ten down in a big way.