johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 162

Maybe they shoulda raced hill vs Diggs for it ...

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Give the offense the ball on their own 5 yard line and make it sudden death.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

Let's back up a little shall we. The Bills had the lead with 13 fukking seconds left.

First off, the kick-off should have been one of those line drive things so that the clock would start as soon as the Chiefs touched it.. That would have taken it down to 9 or 10 seconds. Maybe less. And if it was less, they might have only had time for one play. Maybe.

Regardless, the Chiefs got the ball on their own 25 with 13 seconds left. In 2 plays they got enough yards to kick a FG and some are complaining about the OT rules. Its a free country but come on.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Let's back up a little shall we. The Bills had the lead with 13 fukking seconds left.

First off, the kick-off should have been one of those line drive things so that the clock would start as soon as the Chiefs touched it.. That would have taken it down to 9 or 10 seconds. Maybe less. And if it was less, they might have only had time for one play. Maybe.

Regardless, the Chiefs got the ball on their own 25 with 13 seconds left. In 2 plays they got enough yards to kick a FG and some are complaining about the OT rules. Its a free country but come on.
    You're stating the obvious.

No one is exonerating the Bills coaching at the end of regulation. It was bad and it's be said ad infinitum.

The OT rules suck too.

Both those things can be true.

The problem with the latter is that it continues to mar games until it gets fixed.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    You're stating the obvious.

No one is exonerating the Bills coaching at the end of regulation. It was bad and it's be said ad infinitum.

The OT rules suck too.

Both those things can be true.

The problem with the latter is that it continues to mar games until it gets fixed.
    Ya I hear ya but it still comes down to the bill's D had 75 yards of field to prevent a TD in order to get a shot on offense and they couldn't stop them or hold them to a FG.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

The score of The Kansas City Chiefs-Buffalo Bills game if the NFL had NCAA overtime rules

If college rules then KC would have had to go for the 2-pt conversion.

How did they win by 7???

Eddy Munny

Ya I hear ya but it still comes down to the bill's D had 75 yards of field to prevent a TD in order to get a shot on offense and they couldn't stop them or hold them to a FG.
    That's true, but in a game where teams were marching up and down the field to the tune of 72 points in regulation alone, the coin toss winner has a decisive advantage that has more to do with chance than merit.

In a game that goes to overtime tied 10-10, I guess you could argue a touchdown on the first possession of OT decides a winner. But this was a game that was an entirely different animal, as most modern NFL games are. They need to modify the rules to fit the game, and to level the playing field just as it was in the first 60 minutes. It wouldn't even require that drastic of a change.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

You play to win the game

Don't let it come down to a FG

Don't play for OT

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    You play to win the game

Don't let it come down to a FG

Don't play for OT
    So you think the Chiefs should've tried a hail mary on the final play of regulation instead of a game tying field goal.

Got it.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    If college rules then KC would have had to go for the 2-pt conversion.

How did they win by 7???
    haha

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

The live line went from KC -120 to -200 after winning the coin toss, so books are saying it impacts the game quite significantly

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153492

each offense gets the ball and then sudden death after that, keep it simple

don't like the idea of having the teams play another full 15 min qtr because it could still be tied after that. then what?... sudden death after that?... ok, then how is it decided who gets the ball first for this 2nd OT period? now we're back to the same problem again.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    each offense gets the ball and then sudden death after that, keep it simple

don't like the idea of having the teams play another full 15 min qtr because it could still be tied after that. then what?... sudden death after that?... ok, then how is it decided who gets the ball first for this 2nd OT period? now we're back to the same problem again.
    Yeah, you first sentence is the easiest and most obvious amendment that should be made. It's baffling that was never the rule in the first place. Then you would probably have some teams defer the kickoff because they know they'll get a possession regardless and they'll have a clear idea of what's needed to win the game.

I guess you could argue that if both teams score touchdowns, then you're kinda back to the dilemma of one team having an extra possession if they score again on their 2nd opportunity.
    Last edited by Eddy Munny; 01-24-22 at 03:33 PM.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

bills are the number 1 ranked defense, nobody had scored 36 in regulation on them all season. if u dont win a coin toss in OT u have the next best thing, the number 1 ranked defense in the league wut more could one ask for. besides mike white(garbage time), brady, and mahomes no qb had thrown for more than 216 yds against bills all season, only 3 out of 19 times. thats crazy good and only mahomes yesterday has now thrown for more than 300 in regulation. therefore in that OT situation after losing the coin toss its almost safe to say they hold everyone else to a fg or less and get the ball back, except the chiefs of course.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Absolutely not

Play defense if you want the ball back

MinnesotaFats

So you think the Chiefs should've tried a hail mary on the final play of regulation instead of a game tying field goal.

Got it.
    No, what I'm saying is that Buffalo should have made a play instead of pinching the sidelines when KC had TOs anyway.

Buffalo did not play to win the game, Buffalo played "prevent" which forced KC to execute perfect plays 2xs & hit a monster fg.

They did.

You have to play to win, not play down to the other team.

Buffalo has Noone to blame but themselves.

Eddy Munny

No, what I'm saying is that Buffalo should have made a play instead of pinching the sidelines when KC had TOs anyway.

Buffalo did not play to win the game, Buffalo played "prevent" which forced KC to execute perfect plays 2xs & hit a monster fg.

They did.

You have to play to win, not play down to the other team.

Buffalo has Noone to blame but themselves.
    Chiefs played for overtime though. You said don't do that. I'm just quoting you.

Buffalo on the other hand wasn't actually "playing for overtime." They just shat the bed and overtime happened.

MinnesotaFats

Chiefs played for overtime though. You said don't do that. I'm just quoting you.

Buffalo on the other hand wasn't actually "playing for overtime." They just shat the bed and overtime happened.
    Chiefs had 0 other options because, they too, did not play to win the game on defense earlier.

That KC kicked a FG is the result of lack of options w3 seconds left...that KC was losing at that point is the result of their defense failing miserably to win the game.

The OT rule, as is, is just fine.

Both teams could have won the game in regulation if their defense made 1 fukking play.

After 60 minutes of that trash, a cointoss is fair enough. Make a play on defense...it won't matter.

Eddy Munny

Chiefs had 0 other options because, they too, did not play to win the game on defense earlier.

That KC kicked a FG is the result of lack of options w3 seconds left...that KC was losing at that point is the result of their defense failing miserably to win the game.

The OT rule, as is, is just fine.

Both teams could have won the game in regulation if their defense made 1 fukking play.

After 60 minutes of that trash, a cointoss is fair enough. Make a play on defense...it won't matter.
    Well you could've summed all that up in three words: win in regulation.

That's generally what teams set out to do, I don't think this is groundbreaking strategy.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

In the current format, what happens if a team gets the ball in OT, keeps possession for 9:59 and then kicks a field goal? We've all been told both teams get a chance to possess the ball; is that actually true 100 percent of the time?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Well you could've summed all that up in three words: win in regulation.

That's generally what teams set out to do, I don't think this is groundbreaking strategy.
    Like myself, brevity is not Fatty's forte.

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Christ , it's a pretty decent rule now
    Simply hold out of the end zone, you can win

Lets be honest
    As soon as the last second FG went through the uprights, Buffalo was a Beat Ass

Everyone knew it

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16702

No! One game shouldn't change anything. The Chiefs wanted the rule change 3 years ago and it didn't happen.
    Points Awarded:

STANDARD BET gave Stallion 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

STANDARD BET
    STANDARD BET's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    No! One game shouldn't change anything. The Chiefs wanted the rule change 3 years ago and it didn't happen.
    Yep and the bills were one of the many that voted against it lol

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8377

Try to forget about this game and just think about the overtime rules!!

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    One game? Lol, this rule has been mulled over repeatedly since its inception.

It's just easy to file it away and ignore when it only affects a small % of games.

It's still a bad rule. I would predict change is coming. It usually takes a game like last night's, with that big of a spotlight, to finally goad the committee to review something.

jackpot269

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    In the current format, what happens if a team gets the ball in OT, keeps possession for 9:59 and then kicks a field goal? We've all been told both teams get a chance to possess the ball; is that actually true 100 percent of the time?
    That is if time permits, so game over!!

slewfan
    slewfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10346

I think the overtime should be changed.. Instead of worrying about half time entertainment for the SB, those NFL geniuses should be getting together and tweaking the rules…

I also think the idiotic rule where the guy dives from out of bounds and reaches the ball on the goal line should be changed.. What an idiotic rule if you ask me.. The player should have at least half his body and the ball over the line.. JMO..

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

OT in the NFL doesn't need to be changed. If you allow the other team to score a TD in OT.... get the fukk off the field and head down the tunnel. You lost.

hawkwind
    hawkwind's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22870

NO if U Don't Like it Stop thed 1ST Possesion & Score U Sorry MF AH'S

jackpot269

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post

That is if time permits, so game over!!

<br>

<br>

That was for regular season here is what the rules say

No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission.

For playoffs it said

• If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

The only thing I don't like about the rule is the 10 minutes during the regular season. I would like to see that be 15 minutes like a regular quarter. So 1 team couldn't just hand the ball off eat 9:30 off the clock and kick a field goal to win. Sure it isn't beyond the realm of normal to see a 7:30 timed drive, so make it 15 minutes and keep all the other stuff the same. Maybe add a time out.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

Winning the coin flip and electing to receive is an advantage. Giving a team a right to match or better on every possession gives the 2nd team an advantage.

I think the team winning the coin flip should have the choice of picking an end to defend, kicking the ball away as normal, or starting at their own 10 yard line without a kick-off. If they pick an end to defend the other team would have the choice of kicking or receiving as normal. This wouldn't be even but it would be fairer.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Problem is that neither team in this game had a fresh defense to play in OT. They were both cooked. Whomever won the coin toss won the game.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    Pros hit 50 today like they did 40 just a few years ago make them kick 55 or 60
    I'm just saying find a way that the coin toss is not random so that each team has the same chance of getting the ball first with a football type play. I thought FGs is something that is even for both teams.

First 123 Last