Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Exactly, just change the logo......

Points Awarded:

KVB gave Roscoe_Word 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

jeresulam walkers

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Yeshiva Running Rabbis

LucasPortela
    LucasPortela's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1254

In 2022

Is soccer ball...WHITE? What the hell is this?????????????

There are white, black and colored people in a field.

The soccer ball has to be colored!!!!!!!!

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Herschend Entertainment, the parent company of the Harlem Globetrotters and owner of the trademark to the Washington Generals, is willing to sell the rights to the latter’s name to the Washington Redskins.

“We’d love for the franchise or the NFL to call us,” spokesperson Brett Meister said, via Darren Rovell.

“We think that the Globetrotters are right up there as the most liked team in the world with Manchester United and the New York Yankees,” Meister added. “Our heritage includes the Washington Generals.”

The Generals are famous for being the Globetrotters’ opponents in their exhibition games. They have had several names since their inception in 1952.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Nike has removed all Washington Redskins merchandise from their website.

Is this the same Nike that has sweat shops in China making their shoes?

Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

The Edmonton Eskimos (CFL team) are under pressure to change name too. It's not even the people it offends that wants it changed... it is the loud group of left white people.

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    It's not even the people it offends that wants it changed... it is the loud group of left white people.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/e...t-mp-1.5593518

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

9 out of 10!native Americans don’t even find the name racist, more dumb shit.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    9 out of 10!native Americans don’t even find the name racist, more dumb shit.
    If your standard is it needs to be a set % need to find it offensive, what % is it for you to say it should be changed?

Because it's closer to 50% when you actually dig into the recent polling/surveys
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=sppa

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    If your standard is it needs to be a set % need to find it offensive, what % is it for you to say it should be changed?

Because it's closer to 50% when you actually dig into the recent polling/surveys
    I have not heard a single Native American say they have a problem with the name. If the name was so offensive to native Americans their groups would call for a name change, they aren’t. Nobody calls native Americans redskins, it’s not a slur. This is just more politically correct bullshit.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

I have not heard a single Native American say they have a problem with the name. If the name was so offensive to native Americans their groups would call for a name change, they aren’t. Nobody calls native Americans redskins, it’s not a slur. This is just more politically correct bullshit.
    Not sure how many you speak to (when you say you haven't heard a single one). I'm not going to tell a business to change their name. But I provided a survey, and you responded with anecdotal evidence.

With all that being said, redskin is absolutely a slur - granted it's one we don't hear often (maybe because most of us don't live near or even know any/many native folks), but the only time I've heard it, which would be in movies, it was only ever as a slur.
    Last edited by Nitrogen; 07-07-20 at 11:16 PM.

Unrivaled

Exactly and as usual it is the vocal minority.

TheGuesser
    TheGuesser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24835

The Edmonton Eskimos (CFL team) are under pressure to change name too. It's not even the people it offends that wants it changed... it is the loud group of left white people.
    THIS is how you handle the nonsense:

CFL's Edmonton Eskimos keeping name after 'engagement program'

Jul 3, 2020
    • Associated Press

EDMONTON, Alberta -- The Edmonton Eskimos are keeping their team name.
    The Canadian Football League team said Friday it is keeping the Eskimos moniker following "an extensive year-long formal research and engagement program with Inuit leaders and community members across Canada."
    "The consistent feedback was a desire for more engagement with the club," the team said in a statement. "There were a range of views regarding the club's name but no consensus emerged to support a name change. The club has therefore decided to retain its name."
    The Eskimos said their research and engagement program "included meetings with Inuit leaders and community leaders in Iqaluit, Inuvik, Yellowknife and Ottawa; and a research phase with a combination of in-depth interviews with Inuit across the north and in Edmonton, and a telephone survey among a broad group of Inuit across Canada."

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuesser View Post
    THIS is how you handle the nonsense:

CFL's Edmonton Eskimos keeping name after 'engagement program'

Jul 3, 2020
    • Associated Press

EDMONTON, Alberta -- The Edmonton Eskimos are keeping their team name.
    The Canadian Football League team said Friday it is keeping the Eskimos moniker following "an extensive year-long formal research and engagement program with Inuit leaders and community members across Canada."
    "The consistent feedback was a desire for more engagement with the club," the team said in a statement. "There were a range of views regarding the club's name but no consensus emerged to support a name change. The club has therefore decided to retain its name."
    The Eskimos said their research and engagement program "included meetings with Inuit leaders and community leaders in Iqaluit, Inuvik, Yellowknife and Ottawa; and a research phase with a combination of in-depth interviews with Inuit across the north and in Edmonton, and a telephone survey among a broad group of Inuit across Canada."

But apparently that engagement isn't enough. One of their big sponsors said they are pulling funding if it isn't changed lmao.

thomorino

The link you posted just talks about surveys their aren’t any results on that page.

Unrivaled

Is Nitrogen secretly Don Lemon or Chris Cuomo?

Nitrogen
    Chasing

Is Nitrogen secretly Don Lemon or Chris Cuomo?

Calling out bullshit straw-man or arguments based on anecdotal evidence doesn't make me Lemon or Cuomo. Maybe make better arguments. There's a large racist contingent in this forum anyway, you're preaching to a pretty captive choir.

You said it was loud group of white left people. I showed you a link that it actually wasn't (or wasn't "just").

FWIW - I had no idea up until a few years ago that the term Eskimo was even remotely considered derogatory to anyone. I honestly thought it was up with there "Real Southerner" (ie: not a transplant) or "Native Hawaiin"

Unrivaled

Calling out bullshit straw-man or arguments based on anecdotal evidence doesn't make me Lemon or Cuomo. Maybe make better arguments. There's a large racist contingent in this forum anyway, you're preaching to a pretty captive choir.

You said it was loud group of white left people. I showed you a link that it actually wasn't (or wasn't "just").
    But they had a community engagement with members of the race who it affects and they concluded name should be kept?

It is virtue signaling from Belairdirect, this is not racism.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

The link you posted just talks about surveys their aren’t any results on that page.
    From the survey

..found that at least half of more than 1,000 Native Americans surveyed are offended by the football team’s 87-year-old moniker and Native mascots in general. The results are particularly timely in the face of Native American protests against caricatures of their culture, including the tomahawk chop — performed by fans of the Kansas City Chiefs, who won Sunday’s Super Bowl — and other sports teams with Native American monikers.

The study’s findings, published in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science, show that the degree to which those surveyed identified as Native American influenced how offensive they found Native mascots. Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture.
    Again. I don't think teams should be forced to change their names. I'm just saying that if you're justifying things by quoting 90% or whatever, then make the argument using more recent numbers.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

But they had a community engagement with members of the race who it affects and they concluded name should be kept?
    I didn't even know "eskimo" was offensive. So I have no idea which "race" can lay claim to it (to being offended by the term). People way up north I guess - but they're diverse too.

Unrivaled

I didn't even know "eskimo" was offensive. So I have no idea which "race" can lay claim to it (to being offended by the term). People way up north I guess - but they're diverse too.
    It's not offensive from what I've heard. I have no idea though, if it was offensive I'd have no problem with them changing it.

Canadians are pretty accepting of change, we changed our national anthem just a few years ago to be more inclusive. I know there would have been alot more outrage in the US if they tried to do that.

The majority of us are tired of this cancel culture and virtue signalling though.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

The majority of us are tired of this cancel culture and virtue signalling though.
    As am I. People say and do stupid shit (I'm glad the world wasn't carrying around 4k cameras when I was a teenager).

With that being said, the cancel culture absolutely exists across all political stripes. It's portrayed as being a left thing, because it seemed to start in colleges (which are very left), but the right loves it too.

Not really new either. When the Dixie Chicks said on stage they were embarrassed that GW was also from Texas (or close to that), they lost most of their radio play because of the organized effort petitioning radio stations to pull them off the air (in Vegas they organized a thing where people piled up their CD's and ran them over with a bulldozer - which as funny as it may sound, isn't far removed from a big ol' fashioned book burning). Because of the boycotts and threats, they essentially went from an arena/stadium act, to a small theater or even bar act.

Trump has a handful of "They should cancel this show" or "XYZ should be fired" in his twitter history. It's essentially a tattle-tale society now.

That chick who called the cops on the black bird watching dude in NY. Definitely a racist move to try and being a smart ass to him then emphasize his color when calling the cops. But did she really need to have her dog taken from her, lose her job etc (I think she got her dog back). But jesus, does the cost for every screwup have to be your livelihood?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/amazon-...213235855.html

Amazon joins retailers in pulling Washington merchandise from its online store

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

They should make their name and logo a white person: The Washington Columbuses, named after you-know-who.

Axman3000
    Axman3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

*This is actually a reply to Nitrogen, I replied to the wrong post* You have to read the study first to see how it was done. You are getting this study from an abstract. You have to pay the $ or have academic access to the study. I have done plenty of research for my graduate studies and I can tell you that there is plenty of BS research conducted. Peer review itself is pointless because you get peers wit the same mindset and they will justify anything. Long story short, citing these surveys is pointless unless you see the actual survey and how it was conducted.
    Last edited by Axman3000; 07-09-20 at 02:40 AM.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

just plain stupid changing names enough said

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    They should make their name and logo a white person: The Washington Columbuses, named after you-know-who.
    Not sure, but I think the plural of Columbus is Columbi.

jizay
    Update your status

Following on what Axman said: I actually read what they did in this survey. Their measure of opposition to the Redskins' team name was actually a combination of 5 items, 4 of which don't appear to really ask about offense to the team name. They don't report the results of the individual items, just the combination. They are below, curious to hear what you think. I find the last one plainly ridiculous as a measure of being offended by the team name.

“I think the term ‘Redskin’ is respectful to Native Americans”
    “I find the term Redskin offensive”
    “The term
    Redskin bothers me”
    “It bothers me when fans of the rival
    team for the Redskins use insults about Native American culture."

As am I. People say and do stupid shit (I'm glad the world wasn't carrying around 4k cameras when I was a teenager).

With that being said, the cancel culture absolutely exists across all political stripes. It's portrayed as being a left thing, because it seemed to start in colleges (which are very left), but the right loves it too.

Not really new either. When the Dixie Chicks said on stage they were embarrassed that GW was also from Texas (or close to that), they lost most of their radio play because of the organized effort petitioning radio stations to pull them off the air (in Vegas they organized a thing where people piled up their CD's and ran them over with a bulldozer - which as funny as it may sound, isn't far removed from a big ol' fashioned book burning). Because of the boycotts and threats, they essentially went from an arena/stadium act, to a small theater or even bar act.

Trump has a handful of "They should cancel this show" or "XYZ should be fired" in his twitter history. It's essentially a tattle-tale society now.

That chick who called the cops on the black bird watching dude in NY. Definitely a racist move to try and being a smart ass to him then emphasize his color when calling the cops. But did she really need to have her dog taken from her, lose her job etc (I think she got her dog back). But jesus, does the cost for every screwup have to be your livelihood?

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

why dont they call the team WHAT the fans have been calling them for yrs DEADSKINS

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    The Indians want to cancel Columbus day this would be like trolling them. I spent over $200 on a Thaddeus Moss jersey and masks I am tilted

jizay
    Update your status

Also adding: the answers were on a 7 point scale where 7 was "strongly agree" and the midpoint of 4 was "neither agree nor disagree." The mean response was 4.69. Given that the last question is basically rigged to get a high response, the levels of offense here are pretty unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Following on what Axman said: I actually read what they did in this survey. Their measure of opposition to the Redskins' team name was actually a combination of 5 items, 4 of which don't appear to really ask about offense to the team name. They don't report the results of the individual items, just the combination. They are below, curious to hear what you think. I find the last one plainly ridiculous as a measure of being offended by the team name.

“I think the term ‘Redskin’ is respectful to Native Americans”
    “I find the term Redskin offensive”
    “The term
    Redskin bothers me”
    “It bothers me when fans of the rival
    team for the Redskins use insults about Native American culture."

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Person with knowledge of the situation confirms Washington football owner Dan Snyder and the team plan to announce name change Monday morning.

First 1234 Last