Falcons @ Eagles (+1)

Color Rush is here!! Just kidding, Fox decided to discontinue the color rush when they got the rights to it. How ridiculous was Color Rush to begin with? The NFL literally tried to disguise how bad the level of football was on short practice weeks by making colorful jerseys. Now don’t get me wrong, I loved what color rush had become. There was just something magical about watching a 9-7 Titans-Jaguars game in ridiculously colorful uniforms. But hey, even bad football in colorful uniforms is still football.

The opening night game is the Atlanta Falcons @ Philadelphia Eagles. Some notable injuries include the Falcons 2nd round pick CB Isaiah Oliver, Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery, and of course Eagles QB Carson Wentz. The Eagles are now 1 point underdogs and will be having their Super Bowl Ceremony. The atmosphere in Philly is likely to be hectic as I imagine fans will be tailgating from the time they wake up until game time.

Of the last 13 season opening games played by a defending super bowl champion, the defending championship team has won 11 times! If last year’s playoff performance wasn’t enough proof, Pro Football Focus (PFF) ranks the Eagles Offensive Line and Pass Rush #1 in the league. While the Falcons do have athletic linebackers and a great secondary, I still expect the Eagles Offensive Line to handle the Falcons Defensive Line all night. They should be able to give enough wiggle room for Ajayi, Clement, and Sproles to make plays.

Another thing going in the Eagles favor tonight is that nearly 70% of the public betting is on the Falcons. Vegas would be taking a big hit tonight with a Falcons win and correct me if I’m wrong but Vegas seems to be doing just fine in the last 50 years. I get why the sexy pick is the Falcons due to skill guys like Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Devonta Freeman, but the trenches should be won by the Eagles and most football games are decided in the trenches. It’s not like the Eagles are throwing Mark Sanchez out on the field, they have Nick Foles (2018 SUPER BOWL MVP -YES I TYPED THIS IN CAPS BECAUSE I HATE THE PATRIOTS AND THE EAGLES WINNING LAST YEAR STILL MAKES ME HAPPY). Also Nick Foles is allegedly pretty large in the groin region but won’t talk about it. A humble champion.

Tony’s Verdict: Eagles +1 (2 Units)