SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

2018 NFL Eliminator Challenge Season Long Thread

This thread is for posting thoughts and opinions on eliminator week by week. I know SBR is running a contest, but most of us have big money pools elsewhere as well as the SBR pool.

I personally have 4 entries in a big pool

Early thoughts on week 1???

New Orleans home to TBAY

GBAY home to Chicago...normally GBAY is a team you potentially want to hold for later i the year, but week 1 sometimes is super tough, and this in theory should be good.

Lions home to the Jets

Some of my personal strategy is to always take home teams. I do have 1 entry where I picked all 17 weeks in advanced and see how well that does. But for now, those are my 3 picks and I doubled up on Detroit over the Jets in 2 of my entries.

Hope this thread lasts 4 months.

Good luck boys

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

I know part of the strategy is to save the better teams for later but I am taking Green Bay week 1 against the Bears at home. The spot doesn't get any better for Green Bay than that so I'm planning to use them week 1 and go with what I feel is the "safest" play on the board. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

Looking forward to thread. A great way to put up small $$ for a big return.

SamsNCharge99

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    I know part of the strategy is to save the better teams for later but I am taking Green Bay week 1 against the Bears at home. The spot doesn't get any better for Green Bay than that so I'm planning to use them week 1 and go with what I feel is the "safest" play on the board. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
    I agree, end of the day, you can save a team for later, but if you don't win this week, there is no next week. So go for best pick now to advance.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    The better teams you save may not be that good later on, thanks to injuries.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

Usually try to avoid divisional games but gb does look good, I'm on them in several. I like the Lions as well. Even as a saints fan I'm hoping they lose week 1 as I feel everyone will take them. The last few years the dome hasn't been as huge of an advantage.

Surprised Pats at home hasn't been mentioned but I would definitely save them for later. However it's moot if you don't make it past week 1!

jt315
    jt315's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13772

Ravens . The Bills might be the worst team in football this year.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    The better teams you save may not be that good later on, thanks to injuries.
    This is true, last year I lasted until week 14 in Yahoo's $10 K survivor contest they ran and I used the Pats who of course lost to the Dolphins whom they beat 35-17 just two weeks earlier.

SamsNCharge99

Quote Originally Posted by jt315 View Post
    Ravens . The Bills might be the worst team in football this year.
    Yea last 2 years basically fade the browns now we may have to pick a new team to auto fade

SamsNCharge99

259 entries in my pool so far at $50 a piece, still a few days to go. Hoping for 350+

1 guy actually had the eagles yesterday too. Crazy

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNCharge99 View Post
    259 entries in my pool so far at $50 a piece, still a few days to go. Hoping for 350+

1 guy actually had the eagles yesterday too. Crazy
    This is why these pools are great EP. 75% of the entries are dead money.

SamsNCharge99

404 entries. 20k prize!!!!

SamsNCharge99

brutal week 1. I only have 1 entry left of my original 4. And I barely won with GB. Terrible!!! Let's make magic happen with my final entry

Week 2 potentials.

Chargers -7 AT Buffalo. Bills are arguably the worst team in the league. My rule on eliminator is to avoid road teams, so for me this is a pass, but certainly will be a popular pick.

New Orleans -8 home to Cleveland. New Orleans screwed the eliminator board last week, can they do it 2 weeks in a row???

RAMS -10.5 home to Cardinals. Will likely be most popular pick and my pick this week. Rams looked great last night. Arizona fighting to be one of the worst in the league this year with the Bills

Every other game has a spread of 5 or less.

Good luck if you survived week 1

snider
    snider's Avatar Become A Pro!

Buffalo cant start Peterman again?? Id think they'd be a little more dangerous at home. I try and stay out of the divsion and at home. Looking at Frisco. These guys get chances at head coaching jobs after being under Belichick and rarely do anything. The Lions had a rookie qb carve them up, and allowed huge punt returns. Theyre on the fade radar also.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Great stuff here Sammy. Snuck through w GB as well!

SamsNCharge99

Official week 2 pick for me will be the RAMS.

rexmundi000
    rexmundi000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

So the pool I play in gets 1000+ players and goes week 17 every year I have been in it . Also you can sell you teams anytime during the season.

I have found it best to "save" some teams for later in the season. First, to win you are going to have to pick some mediocre teams to make it to the end anyways. Also in my pool playing all the good teams early absolutely kills the resale value of a team. And the last thing I want is to get late in the season and be forced to pick underdogs.

SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Rams are a smart choice this week.

SamsNCharge99

Quote Originally Posted by rexmundi000 View Post
    So the pool I play in gets 1000+ players and goes week 17 every year I have been in it . Also you can sell you teams anytime during the season.

I have found it best to "save" some teams for later in the season. First, to win you are going to have to pick some mediocre teams to make it to the end anyways. Also in my pool playing all the good teams early absolutely kills the resale value of a team. And the last thing I want is to get late in the season and be forced to pick underdogs.
    we started with 405....then 25 entries eliminated based on not paying the commish, so down to 380 and we lost almost 50% week 1. Including 3/4 of my entries

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I joined four pools at Nitrogen.

On every one of them I had New Orleans. So, they all lost.

Sunday night I joined another one, at Nitrogen, and took Green Bay.

Monday night, I joined the same pool at Nitrogen, and took the Rams.

So, I've got two shots in the same pool, out of 107 people left. Grand prize is 4.52 BTC.

One entry this week will have the Rams. I'm not sure about the other one.

keely85
    Update your status
    keely85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 104

BTC lol

I'm in a massive like 2,500 person pool with 100$ buy in...around 40% was out after week one...easily woulda been over 50 if my bears hadn't forgotten how to run the ball.

On Rams too but debating risking it for chargers whoever plays the lions

rexmundi000

I might actually take the redskins this week.

SamsNCharge99

Quote Originally Posted by rexmundi000 View Post
    I might actually take the redskins this week.
    Not an awful pick based on when can you use the redskins ever.

The only thing that scares me is Indy didn't look bad last week. They were a bad red zone turnover away from possibly winning that game.

But not awful pick

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I took the Rams in most of my survivor pools and New Orleans in one. Hopefully New Orleans doesn't screw me like they did so many people last week. I really feel confident about the Rams as 2 touchdown favorites at home this week so if I had to only play one of them I'd go with the Rams.

rexmundi000

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNCharge99 View Post
    Not an awful pick based on when can you use the redskins ever.

The only thing that scares me is Indy didn't look bad last week. They were a bad red zone turnover away from possibly winning that game.

But not awful pick
    Yea just based upon how picks affect the resale value of a team and that actually winning required 17 wins I don't think it is terrible. In the past I have sold teams that make it into top 10% for about 8x and I retain a good percentage of future winnings. Probably shoot for something similar this year.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by keely85 View Post
    BTC lol

I'm in a massive like 2,500 person pool with 100$ buy in...around 40% was out after week one...easily woulda been over 50 if my bears hadn't forgotten how to run the ball.

On Rams too but debating risking it for chargers whoever plays the lions
    What's wrong with BTC?

It would be a massive payout.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I took Rams last week and Chargers this week in both my pools. Had also contemplated Saints this week, but I will probably save them for later in the year.

SamsNCharge99

I assume most of us made it past week 2. I had the RAMS, never any doubt. New Orelans scared a bunch of people for sure.

ONTO week 3.....where everyone will have....

Vikings -17 home to Bills. Now from a betting stand point, that line seems outrageous. First thought I like Bills + the points. But eliminator is of course just a straight bet. Vikings looked awful first half and better second half. Kicker needs some help, but beating the Bills at home shouldn't be too difficult. Other good part is not a lot of weeks feeling confident to pick the Vikings, so 10000% on them this week.

Other options...
    Phily -6 home to Indy. I'm posting this b/c it's one of the higher spreads for week 3. I personally hate this. I had the colts this week over the Redskins and this is another potential upset. Phily doesn't look amazing. Squeaked by week 1 and got beat up week 2. Colts and Andrew Luck are better than most people think.

KC -6 home to SF. KC's offense is one of the best in the league. I don't hate picking KC this week, but hard to go against Vikings.

RAms -7 home to Chargers. Rams another top offense in the league. I lot of us might have already used the RAMS this past weekend, so might not be available to use, but if you do have them, not a terrible pick here.

New England -7 AT Detroit. No way am I touching this. I'll say it every week, but this goes against my away team rule. Also, NE coming off tough road loss. Everyone will say Brady won't lose 2 in a row, but it's regular season, not playoff Brady yet. There will be way better spots for home New England later in the year to take them.

All other games are less than 6 for spreads with most be 3-4 points. Of course you can take any of those teams, but why risk a low spread game this early on when there are plenty of better options.

For me, this is a no brainer. Vikings are a team you rarely get a chance to use and being 17 point favorite at home to the worst team in the league. It's Vikings all day for me.

Previous picks
    Week 1. GB
    Week 2. RAMS
    Week 3. Vikings

Good luck boys

SamsNCharge99

I just picked all 17 weeks of potential plays. Holy shit the middle of the season weeks are super tough. I don't have NE picked until week 14 and it's on the road as well

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2774

good luck, Sammy.......as far as my picks go:

week #1 = Ravens
    week #2 = Rams
    week#3 = Vikings