Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Insider Mel Kiper's favorite 2018 NFL draft prospects at every position

Insider
    Mel Kiper's favorite 2018 NFL draft prospects at every position
    ESPN INSIDER

As we approach the
    2018 NFL draft, I keep getting this type of question: "Mel, who do you
    like?" It's so tough to answer because I have to think about team needs, how each prospect fits into those needs and realistic draft positions.

Well, below is my version of an answer to that question, in which I annually give out my list of favorite prospects at every position. A reminder of how this works:This is neither a list of the best players in the draft overall, nor guys I consider the best at each position. They're all good, and they're all going to be drafted, but they fit into a few separate categories. These are prospects whom I've:

• Often rated higher than other evaluators within the draft media or team evaluators I discuss prospects with, or ...
    • Ranked higher in close debates within position groups, namely at quarterback, or ...
    • Just liked the way they play the game

In the end, these guys will probably just be considered "guys Kiper really likes." Here's the class of 2018, with projections on the round in which each will be drafted:

Quarterback

Josh Allen, Wyoming

Allen has been my guy all along. I'm not backing down now. He has checked all the boxes to be the No. 1 overall pick, and he's a perfect fit as the Browns' developmental franchise quarterback. Remember: He doesn't have to start in 2018. Tyrod Taylor can be the short-term answer. Allen has all the talent in the world to be a superstar quarterback down the road.Projection: Top five.

Running back

Nick Chubb, Georgia

Chubb had a great college career, but teammate Sony Michel was better last season, and it looked like Chubb had lost some explosiveness after a severe knee injury in the middle of the 2015 season. Then Chubb went and lit up the combine, running a 4.52-second 40-yard dash with a 38.5-inch vertical and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump, and he really impressed scouts. This is a big, 227-pound back who's going to break tackles and find running lanes. There are questions about his hands, but I think he can be a three-down player. He'll be a value pick on Day 2.Projection: Second round.
    Fullback

Jaylen Samuels, NC State

I'm cheating a little bit here, because Samuels is only 225 pounds and will be an H-back at the next level. He worked out with the tight ends at the combine, but he's only 5-foot-11. He'll have to wear a lot of hats in the NFL, but a creative offensive coordinator will get him on the field. Samuels had 201 career catches for 1,851 yards and 19 touchdowns for the Wolfpack, and he had 12 rushing touchdowns in 2017.Projection: Third or fourth round.

Wide receiver

Anthony Miller, Memphis

This is the most underrated wide receiver in this class. I just love the kid. Miller had 96 grabs and 18 touchdowns in 2017, and he finished his college career with 37 receiving TDs. At 5-11, he isn't the biggest wideout, but he can play outside. And he's tough. If not for a broken foot that kept him out of the Senior Bowl and combine workouts, we might be talking about him as the best receiver in this draft.Projection: Second round.

Tight end

Hayden Hurst, South Carolina

It's neck and neck between Hurst and South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert for my top-ranked tight end in this class. But if we're talking about my favorite tight end, it has to be Hurst, a complete player who relishes blocking. He really impressed me with his maturity when we had him on the Dari & Mel show. Hurst, a former minor league baseball player, turns 25 in August, so you know what you're getting physically.Projection: Late first round or early second round.

Offensive tackle

Geron Christian, Louisville

If we're talking about the highest upside of any of the offensive tackles in this draft, the guy might be Christian. He could be a star left tackle; he's that talented. And he started 39 college games on the left side, so he has experience. Fun fact about Christian: His brother, Gerald, was Mr. Irrelevant in the 2015 draft. The 6-3 tight end was picked by the Cardinals at No. 256 overall.Projection: Late first round or early second round.

Guard

Will Hernandez, UTEP

Hernandez is one of the best run-blocking guards I've ever graded. And I've been grading college prospects for a long time. He just destroys guys. Run behind him on third-and 1 or fourth-and-1, and you're going to convert the first down. He's a 6-2, 327-pound mauler who should be a plug-and-play starter as a rookie.Projection: Late first round or early second round.

Center

James Daniels, Iowa

If it's an offensive lineman out of Iowa, you know he's going to be technically sound. Coach Kirk Ferentz does a great job in Iowa City. Daniels is the top-ranked center in this class and an athletic, physical and, of course, technically sound interior player. Daniels is also one of the youngest top prospects in this class, as he doesn't turn 21 until September. I remember scouting his dad, LeShun, who played on some dominant lines at Ohio State in the mid '90s.Projection: Late first round or early second round.

Defensive end

Breeland Speaks, Ole Miss

I could have gone with the no-doubt top pass-rusher in this class in NC State's Bradley Chubb. Where's the fun there? Speaks is unheralded. You might remember him from this fumble recovery that went viral. But Speaks doesn't play football with a smile. He's a physical, disruptive, downright mean defender. And at 6-3, 283, he could play any position along the defensive line.Projection: Third or fourth round.

Defensive tackle

RJ McIntosh, Miami

McIntosh is quick and athletic, and he plays hard. Effort is not an issue. He's an underrated 3-technique penetrator who had 21 tackles for loss over the past two seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if McIntosh was taken in the fourth or fifth round and became a longtime NFL starter.Projection: Day 3.

Inside linebacker

Oren Burks, Vanderbilt

Versatility is what sticks out with Burks. He played safety and both linebacker spots for the Commodores. He has good instincts and the athleticism to cover tight ends and backs leaking out of the backfield. Inside linebacker is Burks' best NFL position, and he was up to 233 pounds at the combine. He's going to be a reliable pro player.Projection: Third or fourth round.

Outside linebacker

Uchenna Nwosu, USC

Nwosu might be the best pure pass-rusher available when Round 2 begins on Friday night. He is just a thorn in the side of offensive tackles (and quarterbacks). Here he is blitzing up the middle in the Cotton Bowl and taking down Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett before Barrett can even get to his first read. Nwosu had two sacks that night and eight total in his final six games. He was unblockable down the stretch of the season.Projection: Second or third round.

Cornerback

Jaire Alexander, Louisville

OK, hear me out: Alexander has Deion Sanders-type swagger. No, he's not Deion Sanders, the best cover cornerback in the history of the NFL. But Alexander plays football with Sanders' confidence. Alexander knows he's going to lock down receivers, and he lets them know. Knee and hand injuries forced Alexander to miss several games last season, but the 2016 tape shows a lockdown corner with great ball skills -- he had five interceptions. He's also a fantastic punt returner, which means he's great running with the ball after he snags interceptions. Alexander could be picked in the top 20.Projection: First round.

Safety

Justin Reid, Stanford

When Reid tested so well at the combine -- 4.40 40-yard dash, 4.15 20-yard shuttle and more -- I went back to the Stanford tape. And Reid was all over the field. He was in the box, running to make run stops. He was playing as a deep safety, breaking up passes. He played some cornerback (nickel and outside). Reid is a versatile and smart defender who produced -- he had five interceptions, 99 total tackles and six tackles for loss last season. He's going to make an impact as a rookie.Projection: Late first round or early second round.
    Punter

Johnny Townsend, Florida

You thought I'd forget special teams? C'mon. Townsend has a huge leg. He averaged 47.5 yards per punt last season, which ranked No. 1 in the nation.Projection: Day 3.

Kicker

Daniel Carlson, Auburn

Carlson disappointed last season. He was inconsistent on field goals, making only 74.2 percent of his kicks after hitting better than 85 percent from 2015-16. But he never missed an extra point in his career -- 141 in all. And he has an NFL leg.Projection: Day 3.
    Last edited by Hman; 04-18-18 at 03:34 PM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Kiper is a fool. He knows as much about football as my 6 year old granddaughter does.