bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Raiders signs a "defensive" player

The Raiders shouldn't be beefing up there defense right now, because it's there only strength. If anything they need to focus on establishing an offense.

Raiders sign SS Darius

OAKLAND, California (Ticker) -- The Oakland Raiders bolstered their already strong secondary Tuesday, signing safety Donovin Darius.

Terms were not disclosed for Darius, who had spent his entire nine-year career with the Jacksonville Jaguars before being released on June 14.

In Oakland, Darius joins a defense that ranked first in the league in pass defense last season. He will help solidify the safety position that already includes Michael Huff, the club's first-round pick in 2006.

"We are extremely excited about adding Donovin to the Raiders," first-year coach Lane Kiffin said. "He will bring us strong competition and he gives us added flexibility in our secondary."

Oakland needs tons of help on both sides of the ball after going a league-worst 2-14 last season.

"This is an organization that I feel is heading in the right direction with the new coaching staff and the players," Darius said. "I am very optimistic about joining a team that has such great history. I look forward to being part of the Silver and Black."

Although he served as one of the leaders of Jacksonville's tough defense, Darius became expendable this offseason when the Jaguars used a pair of draft picks on safeties, including the 21st overall pick on former Florida safety Reggie Nelson.

The franchise's all-time leader in tackles, Darius played in 10 games last season before suffering a broken right leg November 20 against the New York Giants, ending his campaign.

It marked the second straight year that Darius had his season cut short by an injury. He suffered a torn left ACL in the second game of the 2005 campaign.

A first-round draft selection in 1998, Darius collected 858 tackles, 14 interceptions, seven forced fumbles and two sacks in his career with the Jaguars. The 225-pounder had 48 tackles last season.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14349

A defensive player is just what an offensive team like the Raiders needs!