Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

CFL Rule Changes

Just thought I'd throw this out to my fellow CFL bettors out here. Do you think the 2007 rule changes will have an effect on totals and have the books adjusted for it?

The 2 rules I believe will have an impact are these...

Rule 5, Section 4 – Kick from Scrimmage

Rule change – add as Article 3, and renumber articles that follow:

“Kick from Scrimmage Going Out of Bounds in Flight”

On a kick from scrimmage going out of bounds in flight between the 20-yard lines, the receiving team will have the option of taking possession at the point the ball went out of bounds in flight, or having a 10-yard penalty applied against the kicking team at the point of the last scrimmage, with the down repeated.

Rationale for change – Forces kicking team on punts and field goal attempts to land the ball in the field of play.

Blocking on Kick returns

The illegal blocking rule states that player can not contact an opponent from behind.

Rule change - To interpret a player having four sides and it is only illegal to contact the player in the back.

Rationale for change - Creates more legal blocks on the side of the defensive player.

By forcing punting teams to land the ball in the field of play and then giving the receiving team more blocking options on the return, the league is trying to bring back some of the excitement in the return game. In doing so, they may have raised the average total however. The question is: In a lower tier league like the CFL do the book take notice of these rule changes and adjust for them?

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Thank you for the update.. I bet CFL.... Well as far as the kick from scrimmage... I used to be a FG kicker and I coached special teams so I feel that if you can't keep the ball in play on that big as* field then hell yeah it should be a penalty... I can't imagine they kick FG's out of bounds ...damn that woould be one hell of a shank....

Hulu

From a fan's point of view I agree with you. Removing the strategic ability to punt out of bounds will result in more punt returns and more exciting plays.

So more kick returns + better blocking on kick returns = higher average totals. This is what I am thinking.

ShamsWoof10

Noticed something last night.. One in OT both teams get the ball and two they have ties... I like the NFL OT better... The NFL OT is perfect they should not change that....

Hulu

I am not a fan of NFL OT rules because with sudden death the coin toss becomes too important to the outcome. I believe that the team winning the OT coin toss wins the game about 55% of the time.

Sudden death OT doesn't work in the CFL because the goal posts are on the goal line which makes a long range field goal to win it too easy.

I'm not sure I like the OT rules they currently use but given the different field, they are better than sudden death.

ShamsWoof10

I like the NFL rules because it involves everyone.... They can say what they want about Defense wins championships but that's bullsh*t... What wins them is the same thing that wins games.. POINTS and the scoreboard doesn't care who puts them up... O, D. or Special teams.... The Bears won an OT playoff game and didn't get the ball first... It was either 04' or 05' where the team who got the ball first lost a majority of the time in OT... I hate to see rules leave half of the team out of deciding a game... I have had my punters put it out inside the 5 and it resulted in great FP or a safety to win...

just a point

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14473

These changes should result in more scoring. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the opening totals when the lines come out.