survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Honestly that coaching is a fireable offense. When they got to the 25 I was saying to my buddies they should just kneel it 3 times and kick the easy fg. Wow

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

It's not just that they were passing. They were calling seven step deep drops. WTF

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

I bet atl wishes they threw to Julio Jones more. 4 targets? Wow. A min of 10 balls should be going his way every single game

survive
    and advance

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    It's not just that they were passing. They were calling seven step deep drops. WTF
    Great point. I've never seen anything like it

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9426

I've said for years, is Belichick really that great or does everyone else suck? I think it's a combination.

The bad coaching, clock miscues, bad challenges, it's amazing. Atlanta gets the ball back with 57 seconds left and of course, they have no timeouts because Quinn panicked and challenged that crazy catch when it was only a 20-yard play. The timeout was more valuable. Not sure what down that was, but it was either first or second, so not worth a challenge.
    Points Awarded:

BigDofBA gave Seattle Slew 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    Great point. I've never seen anything like it
    If they had just ran on second down, got stuffed, and then called a pass and got sacked on third down they would have still been in FG range.

They panicked and didn't know what to do.

They were taking deep drops like they needed to pick up huge chunks of yardage.

The third and 1 when's Ryan fumbled was a seven step drop too.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    I've said for years, is Belichick really that great or does everyone else suck? I think it's a combination.

The bad coaching, clock miscues, bad challenges, it's amazing. Atlanta gets the ball back with 57 seconds left and of course, they have no timeouts because Quinn panicked and challenged that crazy catch when it was only a 20-yard play. The timeout was more valuable. Not sure what down that was, but it was either first or second, so not worth a challenge.
    That's another great point. Why do coaches challenge plays when it's so obvious? Do they not get the same camera angles we do?

It took like five seconds to see that was a catch. Why waste a challenge?

Their coaches need to answer.

28-3 late in the third quarter and you can't close the deal? WTH

survive
    and advance

If they had just ran on second down, got stuffed, and then called a pass and got sacked on third down they would have still been in FG range.

They panicked and didn't know what to do.

They were taking deep drops like they needed to pick up huge chunks of yardage.

The third and 1 when's Ryan fumbled was a seven step drop too.
    If I was on the team I don't think I could ever play for the coaching staff again. To have a super bowl taken away from you like that over very basic stuff is beyond repair

BigDofBA

Freeman had 11 Carrie for 75 yards.

Coleman had 7 carries for 29 yards.

Why not more carries? You get stuffed and lose two yards so you panick? Even if you get stuffed the next two plays you kick a FG and win.

In case you can't tell, I'm truly baffled. How many rushes did the Falcons have the second half?

I feel like they ran a lot with success early. It feels like they totally abandoned it.

BigDofBA

I wasn't paying attention to the play clock but someone was saying Atlanta was snapping the ball with like 18 seconds left on it in the fourth....is this true?

Wouldn't surprise me

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9426

I noticed it a couple times, on the drive with the Ryan fumble. He snapped it, I think, with 11 seconds one time and 22 another time. They don't even run no huddle, so no reason to be rushing at that point.

I wasn't paying attention to the play clock but someone was saying Atlanta was snapping the ball with like 18 seconds left on it in the fourth....is this true?

Wouldn't surprise me

BigDofBA

I think we just witnessed the worst collapse in sports history.

No team had ever blown a 14 point lead in the Super Bowl. Atlanta blew a 28-3 second half lead.

After the dust settles we'll understand what we just witnessed.

The ESPN graphic gave them a 99.6% chance to win in the third quarter for whatever it's worth.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24921

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post

Great point about NFL coaches routinely bungling basic, fundamental aspects of coaching. Not just in this Super Bowl but in general. It's mind boggling, to be honest.

On a weekly basis, it seems, coaches who are pulling million-dollar paychecks are guilty of game-changing mental blunders that most of us layman fans on the couch can recognize without hesitation. Belichick is apparently the only coach in the league who's immune to such lapses in judgement, and hence a major reason why he's the best in the game.

It's almost as if these other coaches are so caught up in the moment, that they lose sight of the bigger picture and react like an impulsive teenager, rather than a rationale adult.

I submit that coaching staffs around the league should all hire an "average joe" to stalk the sidelines simply acting as a "common sense" adviser to the head coach, in an effort to eliminate brain-farts that often squander golden opportunities. These common sense coaches wouldn't even need a headset... just a lawn chair, some suds, and a bag of Cheetos.

Common sense coaches would be a boon to any staff and wouldn't even be a major liability to the payroll as they would earn a relatively meager blue-collar salary while safeguarding the team against inexplicable meltdowns.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13377

^there have been quit a few in big games im not talking about seattle throwing instead of running, that was a legit play call (throw the ball because the defense assumes you will run) although its marshawn. Anyway, GB had a huge choke job against seattle in 2014. Way more had to go right for seattle and wrong for gb at the same time for them to win that game and they did. Then you see comebacks all the time in the reg season from QBs that are able to run a a no huddle while the opposing team continues to not score but try and 'kill clock' and pretty much every qb nowadays is capable of doing that. It's retarded how the coaches continue to run a 'kill clock' offense instead of scoring. Shit like that should get you fired on sight but you know. illuminati

First 12