seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Why doesn't the bye week coincide with Thursday night game?

Seems like the NFL would make the bye week coincide with the Thursday night game. Either before the Thursday night game or after.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Not sure what you mean.

vegasridah
    Sbr's Finest
    vegasridah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

It would benefit the team to have their bye the week after playing Thursday night.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

sea ur drunk pal

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Not sure what you mean.
    Each team has to play on Thursday night and each team gets a bye week. Why not have the bye help the team that plays on Thursday night, either before of after the Thursday game. If you are playing on Thursday you don't play on Sunday.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by vegasridah View Post
    It would benefit the team to have their bye the week after playing Thursday night.
    But the NFL doesn't do that. That makes sense.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    sea ur drunk pal
    Would you rather play two games in four days or two games in 14 days??? Just wondering

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Would you rather play two games in four days or two games in 14 days??? Just wondering
    But you would have to have teams starting on bye in the second week for this to work.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Schedule is a very interesting issue. NFL should be easy as there is one game weekly, so all teams have time go home after each game. Only exception would be a road Sunday game followed by a road Thursday game, that must be avoided. Besides that, there are a few minor issues (Dallas and Detroit must play home on Thanksgiving). MLB and NBA are harder to schedule, I remember reading an article about competition on MLB for best schedule, almost always won by the same family business.

Back to NFL, I always thought there is an easy fixed way to schedule:
    Weeks 1-4: All interconference games (scheduled on a way there is a 1st vs 1st on each week).
    Weeks 5-8: NFC plays vs rotating division (4), AFC plays divisional games and a bye (3+1). The division getting bye would play next Thursday.
    Weeks 9-12: AFC plays vs rotating division (4), NFC plays divisional games and a bye (3+1). The division getting bye would play next Thursday.
    Weeks 13-14: Play vs previous year same divisional place in conference.
    Weeks 15-17: Divisional games.

I find this schedule most logical. Fist games interconference, vs a team you would not meet again in 4 years is a nice warmup. Having each division bye at same time is fair. Ending on divisional play is often meaningful, or at least good spoiler chance.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Schedule is a very interesting issue. NFL should be easy as there is one game weekly, so all teams have time go home after each game. Only exception would be a road Sunday game followed by a road Thursday game, that must be avoided. Besides that, there are a few minor issues (Dallas and Detroit must play home on Thanksgiving). MLB and NBA are harder to schedule, I remember reading an article about competition on MLB for best schedule, almost always won by the same family business.

Back to NFL, I always thought there is an easy fixed way to schedule:
    Weeks 1-4: All interconference games (scheduled on a way there is a 1st vs 1st on each week).
    Weeks 5-8: NFC plays vs rotating division (4), AFC plays divisional games and a bye (3+1). The division getting bye would play next Thursday.
    Weeks 9-12: AFC plays vs rotating division (4), NFC plays divisional games and a bye (3+1). The division getting bye would play next Thursday.
    Weeks 13-14: Play vs previous year same divisional place in conference.
    Weeks 15-17: Divisional games.

I find this schedule most logical. Fist games interconference, vs a team you would not meet again in 4 years is a nice warmup. Having each division bye at same time is fair. Ending on divisional play is often meaningful, or at least good spoiler chance.
    Makes more sense than the algorithm that the NFL uses now. Easiest way it seems is to let the bye coincide with the Thursday night game. It's only one game and one bye week per team. If they want to put a better product on the field it only makes sense.