bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Bears suffer a big blow already

Roger Goodell is starting to go a little overboard now. I know you have to clean up the league and everything, but this isn't even part of the collective bargaining agreement.

NFL suspends Tank Johnson for eight games
    By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
    June 5, 2007

Chicago Bears defensive lineman Tank Johnson speaks at a news conference at the Bears football minicamp in Lake Forest, Ill., in

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Chicago Bears expect Tank Johnson back in their lineup in the shortest possible time. So does Johnson.

That would be after six games, not the eight that the defensive tackle was suspended for on Monday by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Under terms of the suspension for Johnson's violation of the league's toughened personal conduct policy, Goodell said the ban could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

"I am looking at it like a six-game suspension, because I definitely am very confident that I'm capable of doing everything that he's asked me to do and more," Johnson said.

"I have faith in Tank," coach Lovie Smith said. "Tank has been a different guy for a long time. I think he's demonstrated that, and this is just another step toward getting him back on the field and getting this past behind him."

Johnson is the third player to receive a hefty suspension from Goodell, who became commissioner in September. Johnson recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation on a gun charge. He joins Tennessee's Adam "Pacman" Jones, suspended for the entire season, and Cincinnati's Chris Henry, out eight games.

Jones, who's appealing his suspension, has been arrested five times and had 10 interviews with police since being drafted in April 2005. Henry is one of nine Bengals arrested last year -- one of the reasons Goodell, with the approval of the players' union and the newly established players' council, established his "get tough" policy.

Johnson will be allowed to attend training camp and play in the preseason.

"It's not my call to say whether it's fair or unfair," Johnson said. "But Roger Goodell's a fair man; I know that. He took everything into consideration that he and I talked about, and what he came up with is what he came up with. If it's in the best interest of the NFL, then I'm all for it, too."

If he misses eight games, Johnson loses $255,000, based on his salary for the 2007 season of $510,000.

"I feel like if this is what they feel is the sanction that is correct, then it's in the best interest of the National Football League," Johnson said. "I'm a proud member of the National Football League, and I want to be that for a long time."

Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms, a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge. That charge stemmed from Johnson's 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

Two days after last December's raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early-morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. But he played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson went to jail for violating his probation. Last month, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail. He was ordered to serve 45 days, which he served concurrently with the sentence for violating his probation.

If he misses eight games, Johnson would return against Oakland on Nov. 11. If the suspension is lifted after six games, he would play against Philadelphia on Oct. 21. Both are road games.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I want imgv94 to write up how the Bears are going to suffer from the Super Bowl loser curse in 2007. My gut says they will miss the playoffs in 2007, but my gut is a terrible handicapper. It's tough to bet against the Bears to win their division. But with good enough odds, it's +EV.

I think there's too many issues with the Bears unless Briggs does a 180 in attitude. Losing Thomas Jones will prove to be a big mistake for the Bears. The team will need to rely on Grossman, which could cause problems. Remember, Chicago eats up their own QBs for whatever reason. It's very early to know how everythings going to fall, but the Super Bowl hangover curse will effect Chicago, just a question of how much.

Nismo
    Nismo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4344

Who do you think will win the division? No other team seemed to get much better over the off season. Grossman cant get any worse than the end of last year and regardless of Briggs and Johnson the defense is still one of the best in the NFC, if Brown can stay healthy it might even be the best.

mockingboy
    mockingboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I want imgv94 to write up how the Bears are going to suffer from the Super Bowl loser curse in 2007. My gut says they will miss the playoffs in 2007, but my gut is a terrible handicapper. It's tough to bet against the Bears to win their division. But with good enough odds, it's +EV.

I think there's too many issues with the Bears unless Briggs does a 180 in attitude. Losing Thomas Jones will prove to be a big mistake for the Bears. The team will need to rely on Grossman, which could cause problems. Remember, Chicago eats up their own QBs for whatever reason. It's very early to know how everythings going to fall, but the Super Bowl hangover curse will effect Chicago, just a question of how much.

Thomas Jones was a mediocre RB at best. He benefited from a great offensive line to have a 1000+ yard season two years ago, I think.

Watch how he runs, he stops in the backfield right when he gets the ball, does't run down hill, etc.

Cedric Benson will be sick, 1000+ guaranteed next year.

The attitude of the players is another story, all are so negative.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Green Bay is winning the Norse division. It's a mortal lock. Bears 7-9, Vikings and Lions 6-10.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

if Cedric stays healthy

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Green Bay is winning the Norse division. It's a mortal lock. Bears 7-9, Vikings and Lions 6-10.
    Wow Razz. I hope you're not just jiving me. But that looks about right to me. Pencil GB in at 8-8 to take the division.

I don't think Chicago is nearly the powerhouse they have seemed to be the last few years. It's just that the NFC has been so weak. This year, the NFC should be more respectable. Chicago's season will hinge quite a bit on Grossman, which can't make any Chicago fan feel at ease.

shrax4
    shrax4's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bears manage 10 games. Somehow. I just refuse to believe that Green Bay has a chance.

abacus30
    abacus30's Avatar Become A Pro!

I still think GB is worse than Chicago. Chicago wins the worst division in football again.