JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

Quote Originally Posted by KSmooth4U View Post
    Are you being serious?? How is this anyway profittable? Why not just bet $20??
    or sometimes hedge just to simply cancel the bet out. kinda like a push

KSmooth4U
    KSmooth4U's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2137

Are you trolling me??

JayDr3am
    Handi

If you dont wanna lose $100 dont bet $100... Just Make 1 bet for $20...
    hahaha hey I'm with you! don't bet that much if you don't wanna lose that much.. I personally never hedge maybe once every blue moon but I usually do it for a push. but there is a hedging method in existence I just never use it. I take my L's and W's like a man.

JayDr3am
    Handi

Are you trolling me??
    hahahahahahahaha no dude I'm being 100% serious. hedging is a way of betting for more people than you would think. no joke.

Chum Slam
    Chum Slam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3275

Youngcapper I wish you luck my friend!

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Live is the way to hedge...I would have liked to see how far he made it say depositing 1500 dollars into a empty bovada account with a 3k parlay riding

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    Live is the way to hedge...I would have liked to see how far he made it say depositing 1500 dollars into a empty bovada account with a 3k parlay riding
    live hedging is a little more stressful to deal with but could be good in some spots!

pilebuck13

go op go
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JayDr3am

bostonPSUletsgo
    bostonPSUletsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

Quote Originally Posted by JayDr3am View Post
    means you bet both sides of the game maybe with a little more at stake on one side to kinda ensure a profit or cut short the amount you could possibly lose. like for example. if you hedged tonight.. you would put a 100 on Denver, but put 120 on the bengals so if the bengals won, you would win 20.. vs just losing a hundred outright.. I know a lot of people who hedge damn near every game their on to kinda ensure a profit. its a weird method but it works
    Jay not to be a huge dick but I am very confused how you have 1,111 posts and have no idea what hedging is. You can't bet both sides of a game to guarantee profit, it doesn't work that way. Unless you are shopping for lines and take both sides as dog MLs but I don't think that's what you're proposing.

In sports wagering people decide to hedge in a few situations:

1. To guarantee some return on a parlay/futures bet
    2. To recoup a previous wager. Say you bet on team "A" to win the game and after the first half you don't feel great about your bet. For the second half you could bet team "B" to recoup some or most of your original wager. This is a simplified example, could also use live betting for the same outcome.

In both 1 and 2 above you're losing value by betting the other side because you're paying extra juice.
    Points Awarded:

KSmooth4U gave bostonPSUletsgo 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JayDr3am

KSmooth4U

Damn I thought I was totally missing something because nobody was correcting him...

pilebuck13

Dude Broncos kicker must have heard about your 3 k parlay fix is in man I'm sorry

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by bostonPSUletsgo View Post
    Jay not to be a huge dick but I am very confused how you have 1,111 posts and have no idea what hedging is. You can't bet both sides of a game to guarantee profit, it doesn't work that way. Unless you are shopping for lines and take both sides as dog MLs but I don't think that's what you're proposing.

2. To recoup a previous wager. Say you bet on team "A" to win the game and after the first half you don't feel great about your bet. For the second half you could bet team "B" to recoup some or most of your original wager. This is a simplified example, could also use live betting for the same outcome.

In both 1 and 2 above you're losing value by betting the other side because you're paying extra juice.
    so my example i presented isn't a form of hedging? ..

JayDr3am
    Handi

i didn't say it was a guarantee. for profit.. i said it was a way to cut your losses. i just simply named 1 of thousands ways to hedge that's all.. wasn't saying that was the best way to hedge or saying that's how i hedge.. theres multiple ways to hedge.

KSmooth4U

i didn't say it was a guarantee. for profit.. i said it was a way to cut your losses. i just simply named 1 of thousands ways to hedge that's all.. wasn't saying that was the best way to hedge or saying that's how i hedge.. theres multiple ways to hedge.
    Cmon... Please tell me your just kidding now... How do you not see that that form of betting will not work??

bostonPSUletsgo

Jay your example before of betting 100 on side A and betting 120 on side B is the same exact thing as just betting 20 on side B and nothing on side A. There's no reason to bet side A in your example.

KSmooth4U

To cut your losses lower your bet amount

JayDr3am
    Handi

Cmon... Please tell me your just kidding now... How do you not see that that form of betting will not work??
    lmao yall are trippin.. first of all i do not personally use this method. or did i say it works in the long run or even short term.. i think that way is ridiculous. BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT WAGER THAY WAY. the guy asked what is hedging and i simply gave him 1 of 84376583742 ways to hedge. might not be the best way, but it is a way.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24890

Cha-ching!!!

KSmooth4U

Congrats!!!

rgrant2214
    rgrant2214's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Nice win!!!

pilebuck13

Nice op one that doesn't end in a bad beat just a good sweat congrats my friend

bostonPSUletsgo

lmao yall are trippin.. first of all i do not personally use this method. or did i say it works in the long run or even short term.. i think that way is ridiculous. BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT WAGER THAY WAY. the guy asked what is hedging and i simply gave him 1 of 84376583742 ways to hedge. might not be the best way, but it is a way.
    No one has ever wagered that way and no one ever will.

jdub77713
    jdub77713's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 646

Nice 1 OP a little sweat ain't so bad now lol

yungcapper
    Update your status
    yungcapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2910

Thanks fellas! This was starting to bring back nightmares of a bad beat on a 50k parlay. Happy new year everybody!!!!!!

intermission
    intermission's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7120

good win bro

Aye J Mac
    Aye J Mac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11884

Thanks bro.

bostonPSUletsgo

congrats yung, that is sweet.

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by yungcapper View Post
    With no money in the account to hedge of course.

New York Jets +3.0
    Atlanta Falcons +7.0
    Chiefs under 42.0
    Houston Texans -4.0
    Rams under 40.5
    Minnesota Vikings -7.0

Tonight Broncos under 40.0

$35 to win $3000
    good shit cap

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

congrats!!!

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

Good hit bud!

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Jay your example before of betting 100 on side A and betting 120 on side B is the same exact thing as just betting 20 on side B and nothing on side A. There's no reason to bet side A in your example.
    It's not the exact same thing at all. Because of juice, it's worse. Much worse.

Assume the juice is -110. If you just bet $20, you've got two outcomes (aside from a push, which we won't bother discussing as the end result is obviously breaking even no matter how much is bet or what the juice is), a win and a loss.

Win = +$18.18
    Loss = -$20

With the other scenario (which, by the way Jay, no matter how many versions of hedging you think there are, this most certainly is not one of them) where you've got $120 on one side and $100 on the other, the same two outcomes pay as follows.

Win = +$9.09
    Loss = -$29.09

With this absurd and hopefully nonexistent strategy, you tie up eleven times as much money in order to either win half as much or lose almost 150% as much.

Jeep_Life 42
    Jeep_Life 42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1274

nice hit pal!

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

This isn't hedging. Hedging is very simple, and can only happen when you've got plus money coming in higher than the negative money would cost you to bet on the other side.

Example. You've got a three game parlay for $10. The first two teams hit, all you need is the Raiders to cover +3.5 against the Packers. If the Raiders cover, you profit $60 from that parlay. What this essentially means is that because the other two teams already covered, you've got the Raiders line, which is normally -110, for +600. So your two possible outcomes are

Raiders cover = +$600
    Packers cover = -$100

You other option is to hedge. You can decide how much you want to hedge, but for this explanation we'll go with roughly half. In order to hedge here, you'd bet $350 on the Packers -3.5. This new scenario leave you with two new possibly outcomes. BOTH OF THEM GUARANTEE A PROFIT.

Raiders cover = +$250 (The $600 you won from the parlay, minus the $350 you bet on the Packers)
    Packers cover = +$218.18 (The $318.18 you won from the Packers bet, minus the $100 you lost on the parlay)

Obviously your ceiling is lowered, but your risk is completely eliminated. This is hedging. Everything you mentioned is not, to the point that several people legitimately thought you were trolling them.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 192

Nice hit Pal

JayDr3am
    Handi

Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    This isn't hedging. Hedging is very simple, and can only happen when you've got plus money coming in higher than the negative money would cost you to bet on the other side.

Example. You've got a three game parlay for $10. The first two teams hit, all you need is the Raiders to cover +3.5 against the Packers. If the Raiders cover, you profit $60 from that parlay. What this essentially means is that because the other two teams already covered, you've got the Raiders line, which is normally -110, for +600. So your two possible outcomes are

Raiders cover = +$600
    Packers cover = -$100

You other option is to hedge. You can decide how much you want to hedge, but for this explanation we'll go with roughly half. In order to hedge here, you'd bet $350 on the Packers -3.5. This new scenario leave you with two new possibly outcomes. BOTH OF THEM GUARANTEE A PROFIT.

Raiders cover = +$250 (The $600 you won from the parlay, minus the $350 you bet on the Packers)
    Packers cover = +$218.18 (The $318.18 you won from the Packers bet, minus the $100 you lost on the parlay)

Obviously your ceiling is lowered, but your risk is completely eliminated. This is hedging. Everything you mentioned is not, to the point that several people legitimately thought you were trolling them.
    say you have 100 on side A and mid game you get cold feet about side A and put 80 on side B to recoup SOME loss. isn't that a form of hegding? cause that's kinda where i meant to go with my initial post lol

First 123 Last