bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Irvin busted, but says that drug paraphernalia wasn't his

Former Dallas Cowboys receiver and current ESPN studio analyst Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his vehicle during a traffic stop, Plano police said Sunday.

Michael Irvin
    Irvin

Irvin, a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano, the Plano Police Department said. Police spokesman Mike Johnson said he didn't know what kind of paraphernalia was found.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

"We are reviewing the facts of the situation and have no comment at this time," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said.

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges.

Irvin, a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys and known as "The Playmaker" during his 12-year career with Dallas, retired in July 2000. He has been paired at ESPN with veteran host Chris Berman, Tom Jackson and Steve Young on the main set of Sunday NFL Countdown since 2003.

Irvin holds Cowboys records for catches (750), receiving yards (11,904) and 100-yard games (47), including a team-record seven in a row in 1991.

In September of this year, Irvin and former Cowboys teammates Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith were together added to the Ring of Honor together, a recognition of the players most associated with the Cowboys' last Super Bowl titles.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow. Let me get this straight. ESPN gets rid of Rush Limbaugh for having the guts to say what many were thinking about McNabb, but Irvin gets busted AGAIN for drugs and he won't miss a show. Gotta love the hypocrisy and double standard. With the exception of their live sports coverage, ESPN has turned into garbage. Same with MTV for that matter.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I actually enjoy Irvin's analysis. The guy is a clown, but very entertaining nonetheless. He can kiss the HOF goodbye.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not surprising to hear drugs are involved, considering he said the Colts had a better defense than the Bears two weeks ago. Of course, the Colts gave up up 37 to the Bengals their next game, and the Bears gave up 3 to the Panthers.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

He can probably fit a lot of coke in that massive nose of his. Is it just me, or are there very few likable WRs in the NFL?

Irvin's commentary on ESPN is horrible. He doesn't know what he's talking about half the time either. He can't hold a candle to Sterling Sharpe.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

What a joke. His chances have run out. ESPN needs to drop this idiot.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    What a joke. His chances have run out. ESPN needs to drop this idiot.
    Half of the ESPN staff is a frikken joke. Don't get me started. Stuart Scott needs to be demoted to janitor, his lazy eye creeps me out. Stephen Smith needs to join the Black Panther society if he wants to continue his blatent racist comments. I'd rather watch Michael Irvin doing lines on a mirror while he makes his weekly picks than half of these other jokers. Don't get me started.

ESPN is nothing about sports anymore. It's a frikken clown car full of sports wannabes. I don't even watch it anymore. I just get my info off the internet. The only thing that could save ESPN, for me, is young "nobody's" doing speaking the news. When the face becomes more important than what is being said, there is no credibility left. It's just fluff. Make these guys dress up in clown makeup. Make me frikken laugh, or I won't watch.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Drugs wouldn't effect his performance in the studio would it? Thinking
    back he has had the deameanor of someone who is on some kind of
    narcotic. but hey if he does do coke or smoke weed thats no worse
    than being an alcoholic or taking alot of these prescription drugs they
    have out there. But hey i bet ratings go up??? think about that?

Shawn01
    Shawn01's Avatar Become A Pro!

Irvin is a loudmouth but he can be entertaining. I'm with others who named ESPN staff who suck. I've been saying that Chris Berman sucks for years. It's the same jokes told over and over again for years now and it's still not funny!

Stuart Scott's schtick got old real quick (Boo-yah!) and if you've ever heard Linda Cohn sit in for Dan Patrick's radio show then you know how truly bad she can be. She sounded like an already hyperactive child that ate a few candy bars.

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

^ pretty sure Espn isnt supposed to be funny

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I still like espn!! But Stuart Scott is corny and his eyeball does scare me
    chris berman does repeat himself alot,but he picks games very very good!!
    linda cohn is a woman thats enough for me,99% of the women in the sports
    news business make it obvious they know little. but espn has some good
    people and shows. Sportscenter is awesome!! Jim Rome is great! Shows
    like NFL live and Nba fastbreak are cool. Don't you think?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

robert smith got hired and, then quickly got fired. right after he admited his drug use in college. now he's back as an analystist guy.

so with all that being said. it would not shock me at all. if they give him another chance.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by pats3peat
    ^ pretty sure Espn isnt supposed to be funny
    I wish, pats. ESPN started out legit, but right now it's a complete joke. I'd love to see a "c-span" version of ESPN. Just give me the facts!

Like the old saying goes: "Opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one, and they all stink.". EPSN is nothing but opinionated analysis anymore. It stinks.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

During baseball season I hate when ESPN only shows the score of the game. Back in the day they would show a whole scoring panal. I wanna see how hits and errors a team committs. Why they got rid of that is beyond me.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was he on Mon Night Countdown last night, and did he say anything about it?

aje
    aje's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Was he on Mon Night Countdown last night, and did he say anything about it?
    Yeah him and Stu had a sit down ,but its hard to buy what he's selling.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have pretty much given up on ESPN. Maybe one college game a month and their poker coverage is all I watch, but if Irvin was on as I was flipping through I would likely watch. When he was on the Dan Patrick show he always had interesting segments. If he needs crack to do it, so be it.