oznflfan38
    oznflfan38's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 385

Line movement...to wait or not to wait

Hi everyone,

A long weekend here in Australia means I'm heading to our property, way out of reception range. I will be able to get reception for a brief period on Sunday (Saturday in US). Which brings me to my question. I'm very new to both American Football as a whole (you could say I jumped on the Jarryd Hayne bandwagon) and sports betting, aside from the odd punt on the NRL. I'm thinking of taking both the Packers and the Seahawks to cover in their respective games. I can currently get -9.5 for Seattle and -8.5 for Green Bay. Am I better off placing the bets at these lines, or waiting till Sunday to place? just wondering what thoughts are on likely line movement.

Sorry about the long ramble, thanks in advance.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

I don't see a huge difference either way. If anything, Seattle will almost certainly go up. Packers could move a little in either direction, but nothing substantial.

I'm_Lucky
    I'm_Lucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23098

Can't answer your question, but are you getting those lines from Tab? If so, I'd highly suggest you go with an offshore book cause Tab gives terrible lines & payout on football... or any sport for that matter.

oChRoNiCo
    DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT SON!
    oChRoNiCo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12049

Old rule of thumb is get your favorites bet early and your underdogs bet late. While this doesn't apply to all bets it does apply to most. Based on these 2 bets I would get the Seattle bet in as early as you can that is a Monday night game and will get bet very heavily on Monday as it is the only game in town that night. As poolside stated Green Bay line is less important to get in right now, but I would get it in earlier than wait as I can't see it going down very much. SF and DET are both in the 6 point teaser strategy window, but I wouldn't be that worried about it.

Cougsky17
    Cougsky17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 284

Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    I don't see a huge difference either way. If anything, Seattle will almost certainly go up. Packers could move a little in either direction, but nothing substantial.
    Only thing to be cautious(patient) about with SEA is Lynch's status. Getting MRI on his hammy today, if he's ruled out, the line may drop, which would be even more favorable if you can get them at -7 or lower. I still like SEA to win handily in that game, even without Marshawn. Odds are though, his status won't be determined until game time and they may even have him "active" but not play, kind of like NYJ did with Ivory this weekend.

oznflfan38

Thanks for the input. Based on that I'll probably put GB on soon, and wait to see what happens with lynch. Leaves me with a couple of other questions though...firstly what is the thoughts on both these games, and (remember I am new) what is a 6 point teaser?

Cheers

oznflfan38

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_Lucky View Post
    Can't answer your question, but are you getting those lines from Tab? If so, I'd highly suggest you go with an offshore book cause Tab gives terrible lines & payout on football... or any sport for that matter.
    I use either ladbrokes or sportsbet. There are a couple of others here but I generally stick with those 2.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

Quote Originally Posted by oznflfan38 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Based on that I'll probably put GB on soon, and wait to see what happens with lynch. Leaves me with a couple of other questions though...firstly what is the thoughts on both these games, and (remember I am new) what is a 6 point teaser?

Cheers
    A few things

1. I don't see the Seattle line moving at all as a result of Lynch's status.

2. The Seattle spread I don't hate, as long as you can get it under ten. Not in love with it, but I don't hate it. The Green Bay game I've got no interest in. Seems like Green Bay is the right side but that's a lot of points to be laying on the road, and you can be sure sf is gonna have a better game than the last two times out.

3. A six point teaser is a parlay where every line you select moves six points in your favor. For example, if you selected Green Bay and Seattle in a teaser, the lines would be

Packers -2.5
    Seahawks -3.5

Both teams have to win, just like a normal parlay.

oznflfan38

Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    A few things

1. I don't see the Seattle line moving at all as a result of Lynch's status.

2. The Seattle spread I don't hate, as long as you can get it under ten. Not in love with it, but I don't hate it. The Green Bay game I've got no interest in. Seems like Green Bay is the right side but that's a lot of points to be laying on the road, and you can be sure sf is gonna have a better game than the last two times out.

3. A six point teaser is a parlay where every line you select moves six points in your favor. For example, if you selected Green Bay and Seattle in a teaser, the lines would be

Packers -2.5
    Seahawks -3.5

Both teams have to win, just like a normal parlay.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm getting used to the terminology (we call a parlay a multi) so thanks for your help.

With respect to the games I take, hear are my options.

1. I place a bet on the Thursday game and 1 Sunday game.

2. 1 Sunday game and the Monday game.

There is a reason for this lol.

I was hesitant to play the Thursday game, as I'm unsure what effect no Big Ben has on the steelers. I also thought the Packers were a safe bet as they have served me well so far ( cashed in on all 3).

Do you have any thoughts on what would be the better way to go, and perhaps some plays you feel strongly on.

I appreciate your help at what is probably an ungodly hour for you, if you can get through my ramblings.

Cheers