recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Question for the old timers…….

With respect towards your experience, how has the NFL changed from an investors standpoint?

Say from 60's through the early 90's.

I would imagine it changed around the time free agency kicked in around the early/mid 90's

Would really appreciate to here about your experiences and point-of-view.

Include NCAAF as well.

Thanks!

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by recon1 View Post
    With respect towards your experience, how has the NFL changed from an investors standpoint?

Say from 60's through the early 90's.

I would imagine it changed around the time free agency kicked in around the early/mid 90's

Would really appreciate to here about your experiences and point-of-view.

Include NCAAF as well.

Thanks!
    Used to be a "running" league. You could always depend on the old rivalries as well: Chicago & GB for example. They also had a lot less rules, so to speak. I still remember the "head Slap" LOL. Guys wearing "plaster of Paris" on their forearms instead of tape. Madden, wow, talk about "cheating", LOL. "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying. There never would have been a "Bounty Gate" or " Spy Gate" and the biggest joke of all, " Deflate Gate". That would never happen back then, just part of the game, hammer the guy with the ball.
    Of course, the average guy made a lot less money back then so the gambling was a lot less than today. I see guys dropping " nickels & dimes" like they were nothing. No to mention, less teams, now seems like a watered down product. Same in all sports I guess.
    Sorry wasn't much help, just some thoughts from an old man. BOL to you.
    Points Awarded:

recon1 gave 44 Mag 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Blazermaniac
    Blazermaniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1027

Things have changed. Schemes have change but same old story. You see it week in and week out. Year in, year out. Same old tricks.
    Points Awarded:

recon1 gave Blazermaniac 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Used to be a "running" league. You could always depend on the old rivalries as well: Chicago & GB for example. They also had a lot less rules, so to speak. I still remember the "head Slap" LOL. Guys wearing "plaster of Paris" on their forearms instead of tape. Madden, wow, talk about "cheating", LOL. "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying. There never would have been a "Bounty Gate" or " Spy Gate" and the biggest joke of all, " Deflate Gate". That would never happen back then, just part of the game, hammer the guy with the ball.
    Of course, the average guy made a lot less money back then so the gambling was a lot less than today. I see guys dropping " nickels & dimes" like they were nothing. No to mention, less teams, now seems like a watered down product. Same in all sports I guess.
    Sorry wasn't much help, just some thoughts from an old man. BOL to you.
    Great recollection 44. I've been watching old games on you tube and what i noticed is teams winning in NFL that were suppose to and i attribute that to no free agency of the era, don't know what the spreads were then so can't comment. Seemed officiating was a bit more solid and when team was called on a holding the replay would actually show a bonafide hold, today refs will call a hold and no hold actually took place.

Appears to me teams didn't try and strip the ball, but rather tried to separate the person from the ball with a solid hit. I'm also loving the older commercials to, you actually know at end of commercial what the advertiser was selling.

Thanks

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

The more things change, the more they stay the same.