Ambition
    The Professor
    Ambition's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2452

NFL rule:
    1. Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13377

They explained why the clock didn't move during the game. Giants wanted it that way instead of running the clock and it worked against them. If you watch the game going back several minutes from the end of regulation everything makes sense.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    NFL rule:
    1. Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.

This is 100% correct...If you watch the clip however....The whistle goes and the 25second play clock starts HOWEVER the Game clock never budged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPs1Pj9tFwk

Ambition
    The Professor
    Ambition's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2452

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    This is 100% correct...If you watch the clip however....The whistle goes and the 25second play clock starts HOWEVER the Game clock never budged.

I see what you're saying, I thought you were implying something different. How'd you do this Sunday?

alamo

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    I see what you're saying, I thought you were implying something different. How'd you do this Sunday?
    Great...I had the Bills as my big play...They were awesomo... Also took the Lions and the Cowgirls so got lucky on the latter.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

What part of "clock starting on the SNAP" don't you understand?

It's a weird rule, sure. A bad one for football that's clearly there for nothing besides advertising revenue. But the rule is the rule. It was enforced correctly.

Read this slowly: In the last five minutes of the game, fouls will result in the clock starting on the snap.

"On the snap" = Not until the ball is snapped

JRoZe410
    JRoZe410's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2768

I was thinking the same thing that the clock was supposed to run after that first down but I had Over 45 so I was ok with it. Lol

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 311

The New York Giants absolutely choked away their loss to the Dallas Cowboys Sunday night, and head coach Tom Coughlin rightfully fell on the sword with a proper mea culpa. It was his fault, the coach said, and not that of Eli Manning, who threw the ball away (stopping the clock) and not taking a sack, which had Twitter all up in arms.
    “It's my fault at the end of the game,” Coughlin said, via the Daily News. “There is nobody else to blame but me. The decision to throw the ball there on third down was not a good decision. It should have been a run, whether we scored or not.”
    Coughlin is correct — the Giants should have run on third down. They also should have run it thereafter on fourth down. The Cowboys had just burned their final timeout, and with 1:40 remaining the Giants could have run another 40-ish seconds off the clock and opted to kick the field goal or they could have run off another 10-something seconds if they went for it again.
    []
    Even if they don't score on fourth down, the Cowboys would have to drive 65-70 yards in less than a minute to attempt a game-tying field goal, or drive 95-plus in that time for the win.
    That's Exhibit A. But if it pleases the court, may we go back to first and second down for a moment? The Cowboys used their second timeout after the 1st and goal run to the Dallas 2-yard line and their third timeout after Rashad Jennings took it to the Dallas 1.
    But was Jennings told not to score and make it a 10-point game under the 2-minute warning?
    A frustrated Rashad Jennings told me, “As a running back, it’s always hard when they tell you not to score.”
    — Dan Graziano (@DanGrazianoESPN) September 14, 2015
    Here's the second-down run:
    And here's your Monday update, courtesy of Jennings via Graziano, confirming his directive not to enter the end zone and go up 10 points.
    Just spoke with Giants RB Rashad Jennings, who confirms that he was told in the huddle before first and second down, "Rashad, don't score."
    — Dan Graziano (@DanGrazianoESPN) September 14, 2015
    If this is true, Coughlin should have taken the blame for second down, too, not just third down. That's two brutal coaching errors in one brief spell that cost the Giants a loss that should have been prevented.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Rashad Jennings says Giants told him not to score on consecutive runs

"On the first-down play, I was told, 'Rashad, don't score,'" Jennings said. "On second down, 'Rashad, don't score.' I was tempted to say, 'Forget it,' and go score because I could. But I didn't want to be that guy. But definitely, I was asked not to score."

Jennings said his orders came in the huddle from quarterback Eli Manning, who spoke with him after the game and took responsibility for the way things turned out -- a 27-26 loss. Jennings said he was under the impression that Manning was relaying orders he got from the sideline.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...s-cowboys-game

Unwritten Law
    Unwritten Law's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -1617

Rashad wasn't supposed to spill the beans.....this occurs far more than we know.

alamo

Quote Originally Posted by POOLSIDE View Post
    What part of "clock starting on the SNAP" don't you understand?

It's a weird rule, sure. A bad one for football that's clearly there for nothing besides advertising revenue. But the rule is the rule. It was enforced correctly.

Read this slowly: In the last five minutes of the game, fouls will result in the clock starting on the snap.

"On the snap" = Not until the ball is snapped
    Ok apologies...I was thinking on the whistle...So it was the correct decision....

Going forward if this is the case....Can we assume teams can now jump offside sacrifice 5 yards and stop the clock ? If so this is a MASSIVE flaw in the rule book.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by Unwritten Law View Post
    Rashad wasn't supposed to spill the beans.....this occurs far more than we know.
    That strategy doesn't make any sense at all. The only way it makes sense is if someone's lying, tanking or gambling.
    Something dirty going on in Giant's clubhouse.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Ok apologies...I was thinking on the whistle...So it was the correct decision....

Going forward if this is the case....Can we assume teams can now jump offside sacrifice 5 yards and stop the clock ? If so this is a MASSIVE flaw in the rule book.
    Perfect time would be when this happened when the opposing team gets a first down and you need to stop the clock. Still going to be first and ten and timeouts intact, amazed teams don't do this more often.

alamo

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRyan View Post
    Great article...It will be picked up by other teams now. Its going to come into force and when it does it will be comical. The NFL rules commitee will be embarassed by this... Expect it to be changed halfway through the season

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13377

Al this complaining to the rule I get it... I give 100% credit to Tony Romo... with no dez either

First 12