Stringer Bell
    Stringer Bell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2015

Does anyone use a journal during the season?

Do you use any notebooks, binders etc. to organize your sports betting stuff?

Do you take notes on any of the teams throughout the season?

This year I'm thinking about getting a composition notebook for the NFL season and gathering all of my thoughts in something similar to a daily journal. I'll post when the lines are released and write down my early leans/thoughts. Also will write down things I want to remember or reference about different teams, i.e strengths and weaknesses and my opinions about them, and probably have a weekly injury update with the team's effect from the injuries.

Anybody do anything similar to gather your thoughts all in one place? If so, what do you put it in?

I can't be the only one here that has to write down shit in order to remember, but maybe I am.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

One season I did for college bb.. what I did was write the line I thought the game should be,
    then compare my line with the sportsnetwork and cbs score predictions and the vegas line.
    4 columns.
    If my line and the other two were at least 2 pts out of sorts with the vegas line, then I would
    make the bet.. it was a winning strategy.

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

not so much for football. but i take notes on fighters. writing stuff down can never hurt... unless its financials. IRS will fck u up

Jupiter333
    Jupiter333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1644

Good strategy

All the stock market guys talk about making a trading journal, writing down their thoughts ahead of the result of why they made a particular trade. If they have a system in place, they can compare their system to those plays they made outside of their system to compare the success of right versus left brained plays. Usually they find that those plays they made off the cuff, or using their gut don't perform as well as trades they have ironclad rules for. If that is the case, they can decide to lower the monetary value of their gut picks or eliminate them all together.

The idea of making a line out of what they've observed and comparing it to what Vegas puts up is interesting, if that works it means you're pretty astute. Obviously Vegas is mostly about evening the action out and not quantifying the actual performance differential in two teams, especially in pro sports. I've had some guys mention that they make a line out for the games being played two games in advance because the most recent result will skew the line too much. I may attempt to do that this year.

Stringer Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter333 View Post
    All the stock market guys talk about making a trading journal, writing down their thoughts ahead of the result of why they made a particular trade. If they have a system in place, they can compare their system to those plays they made outside of their system to compare the success of right versus left brained plays. Usually they find that those plays they made off the cuff, or using their gut don't perform as well as trades they have ironclad rules for. If that is the case, they can decide to lower the monetary value of their gut picks or eliminate them all together.

The idea of making a line out of what they've observed and comparing it to what Vegas puts up is interesting, if that works it means you're pretty astute. Obviously Vegas is mostly about evening the action out and not quantifying the actual performance differential in two teams, especially in pro sports. I've had some guys mention that they make a line out for the games being played two games in advance because the most recent result will skew the line too much. I may attempt to do that this year.
    Good post

RickyRoma
    RickyRoma's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 421

Interesting concept. I've always been too lazy to try this but maybe I'll change that this year

Stringer Bell

Also good to post early leans or even Futures leans/picks and check and see how they did at the end of the year. Just writing out my thoughts seem to help me gather them and be more decisive.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13389

Im just gonna make sure I watch every game this year with no league pass.