slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by hugh_jorgan View Post
    In defense of Eli, today he publicly stated that he never said/suggested/or asked to be the highest paid NFL QB.
    Semantics. It's Eli's agent that drops all of this flavor in the air. Besides, should Eli apologize for getting paid?

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11612

Quote Originally Posted by hugh_jorgan View Post
    In defense of Eli, today he publicly stated that he never said/suggested/or asked to be the highest paid NFL QB.
    I guarantee you that his agent did not tell him to say that, a negotiation no-no.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Semantics. It's Eli's agent that drops all of this flavor in the air. Besides, should Eli apologize for getting paid?
    He should apologize for his performance on the field the last 5 years.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    He should apologize for his performance on the field the last 5 years.
    Last year was one of his best years. This year could be his best yet, the price will go up the longer they wait.

jkladikos
    jkladikos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

if his last name wasn't manning the giants would have already gotten rid of him. ODB is a phenomenal WR that came out of nowhere last year inflating Manning's stats. Teams will double him and force Manning into more interceptions.

Defense wins championships and Giants had the best defensive line (Osi, Strahan, justin tuck, & JPP with 10 fingers) that clicked at the right time on their playoff runs. Giants should let him go and draft a new QB next year.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

Quote Originally Posted by jkladikos View Post
    if his last name wasn't manning the giants would have already gotten rid of him. ODB is a phenomenal WR that came out of nowhere last year inflating Manning's stats. Teams will double him and force Manning into more interceptions.

Defense wins championships and Giants had the best defensive line (Osi, Strahan, justin tuck, & JPP with 10 fingers) that clicked at the right time on their playoff runs. Giants should let him go and draft a new QB next year.
    Well this shows why you only have 3 posts. absolute retarded thought process.

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Superbowl isn't the end all be all when comparing qbs.....Giants D-line/Pass rush was the main reason for their playoff runs and that's the truth

Eli is overall decent but those qbs are better at this point in time.
    You have to score to win right? Theres only one team that I truly remember that won a superbowl without a good qb and that was the ravens when dilfer was the qb. Those qbs that dont win super bowls dont get remember. Philip Rivers will never be talked about in the future if he doesnt get a ring. Only Marino because of all the records he set is remember. Dont let your hate for elis goofy look and the way he carries himself, or your hate for the giants completely take over your thought process.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    You have to score to win right? Theres only one team that I truly remember that won a superbowl without a good qb and that was the ravens when dilfer was the qb. Those qbs that dont win super bowls dont get remember. Philip Rivers will never be talked about in the future if he doesnt get a ring. Only Marino because of all the records he set is remember. Dont let your hate for elis goofy look and the way he carries himself, or your hate for the giants completely take over your thought process.
    I said he's good enough to win but overall he's really not that good of a QB...he just isn't

He had a few really nice playoff runs that resulted in Giants Super Bowls but I am talking about overall career and what he's done lately

Giants snuck in the playoffs and got hot and haven't even made the playoffs in the other years

Only Giants fans would take Eli over the majority of my list going forward and that's the truth

hugh_jorgan
    hugh_jorgan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

just as you should not let your love of Eli, or the Giants cloud your view of reality.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11612

Dont let your hate for elis goofy look and the way he carries himself, or your hate for the giants completely take over your thought process.
    Btw, your love for Eli and the Giants isn't doing much for your thought process either.

slacker00

... Giants should let him go and draft a new QB next year.
    I wish the Giants would do this, the bidding war for Eli on the open market would be insane.

Seriously though. The NFL is about rings and nobody is better in the playoffs than Eli.

That Dude
    That Dude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1341

Giants defense gave up an average of 16 pts per game in the 2007 playoffs and an average of 13.5 ppg in the 2011 playoffs. Eli played solid in both playoffs but he can thank his Defense for those two super bowl rings

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    but they covered da spread
    Lol
    Like to see that on negotiation table. Lol.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

I wish the Giants would do this, the bidding war for Eli on the open market would be insane.

Seriously though. The NFL is about rings and nobody is better in the playoffs than Eli.
    Too bad he's not good enough to lead his team there very often

goduke

I said he's good enough to win but overall he's really not that good of a QB...he just isn't

He had a few really nice playoff runs that resulted in Giants Super Bowls but I am talking about overall career and what he's done lately

Giants snuck in the playoffs and got hot and haven't even made the playoffs in the other years

Only Giants fans would take Eli over the majority of my list going forward and that's the truth

Its not the truth though. I already stated hes not the best but compared to players like philip rivers, cam newton, etc i would take him all day. And actually the thing about giants fans you dont realize is we are the first to hate our own players. But I dont care what team it is you can use another qb on a different team, if hes won two super bowls, im taking him over qbs who cant win the big game period. Theres really nothing more to say here. Stats dont mean crap if you dont win

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Btw, your love for Eli and the Giants isn't doing much for your thought process either.
    Dont love eli, but if you are a qb that wins two superbowls on the road in a majority of the games then you get my praise. Look at the other qbs with all their pretty stats who flame out when the lights are bright. All i said in my original post earlier in this thread is that i think eli should be paid more then rivers and newton and at the same level as big ben. I think Rodgers is the best qb in the league by far so i feel like he should be the highest and what wilson has done at such a young age with his growth he should be right under Rodgers. I dont count Brady in any of this stuff because he doesnt care about his contract so its pointless to talk about

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

His 2013 season was atrocious man....He played well in some playoff games but he's not even good enough to get his team there often

Non-Giant fans would absolutely take most if not all of the QBs I listed....Eli is a middle of the road QB who plays well under pressure...nothing wrong with that but it is what it is

goduke

His 2013 season was atrocious man....He played well in some playoff games but he's not even good enough to get his team there often

Non-Giant fans would absolutely take most if not all of the QBs I listed....Eli is a middle of the road QB who plays well under pressure...nothing wrong with that but it is what it is

Wouldnt take Rivers(one of the shadiest qbs in the league the last five years), Matt Ryan(hasnt done shit except a good home regular season record), Newton(headcase and is extremely overrated in my opinion), Romo(the fact that if the cowboys dont run the ball romo ruins games for them), Stafford(hasnt seen enough from him, and with all that talent hes had a star qb would of exploded). Those qbs that you listed I wouldnt take over Eli at all. The others that I didnt comment I could see

slacker00

Too bad he's not good enough to lead his team there very often
    Andy Dalton takes Cincy to the playoffs every single year, is that really what you want from a franchise QB?

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

I think we all can agree Eli manning doesn't deserve anything close to what Rodgers makes. And the chargers are stupid for paying Rivers so much he's been the most over-rated QB this decade and he hasn't accomplished shit. All he had was a future hall of fame RB and the best tight end in the league for years. But I will say he has the ugliest Throw in football so congrats on that Phillip.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Andy Dalton takes Cincy to the playoffs every single year, is that really what you want from a franchise QB?
    Dalton is a notorious choker and plays ok in the regular season but regardless if you're going to overrate Eli because he played well in a few big games and was also on a team that was amazing in rushing the passer you gotta knock him for the losing and non playoff seasons

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

giants are just not consistent winners in the coughlin/eli era

they had two magical runs and yes the ultimate goal is winning the SB, but those are not really predictors of future success

The Giants since drafting Eli:

6-10, missed
    10-6, 0-1 in playoffs
    11-5, 0-1 in playoffs
    8-8, 0-1 in playoffs
    10-6, won SB
    12-4, 0-1 in playoffs
    8-8, missed
    10-6, missed
    9-7, won SB
    9-7, missed
    7-9, missed
    6-10, missed

So they've either missed the playoffs entirely or lost their first playoff game in every season aside from the two SB seasons.

bizarre when you think about it. A dozen seasons and in only two of them did they win a playoff game (but when they did, they went all the way).

A more telling stat is out of the last six seasons, they've made the playoffs only once.

slacker00

Compare Eli to anyone. Look at Peyton, 17 NFL years and only won a playoff game in 5 of those, mostly one and done.

jkladikos

I think most people here would agree here that defense wins championships and having a solid defense is how you build great SB teams. There are a bunch of examples. The first three super bowls the pats won with brady were due to great defense more than Brady...people seem to forget that (Even Cassell won 11 games when he was out for the year). Seattle won the year before with the top defense and game manager type QB. The Steelers won two super bowls based on great defense not Big Ben's arm. TB and Ravens won super bowls due to great defenses with below average QBs. SF & Chicago got to super bowls based on elite defense with maybe slightly above average QBs.

I'm not saying QBs don't matter at all but rather its much better to get rid of a QB like Eli who will demand much more money than they are worth as well as take up a significant portion of the salary cap. If Giants are smart, they are better off dumping Eli and rebuilding their team with the money they save. Then find a solid veteran QB or draft a new young talented QB at a much cheaper price.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Eli still better than most

slacker00

I think most people here would agree here that defense wins championships and having a solid defense is how you build great SB teams. There are a bunch of examples. The first three super bowls the pats won with brady were due to great defense more than Brady...people seem to forget that (Even Cassell won 11 games when he was out for the year). Seattle won the year before with the top defense and game manager type QB. The Steelers won two super bowls based on great defense not Big Ben's arm. TB and Ravens won super bowls due to great defenses with below average QBs. SF & Chicago got to super bowls based on elite defense with maybe slightly above average QBs.

I'm not saying QBs don't matter at all but rather its much better to get rid of a QB like Eli who will demand much more money than they are worth as well as take up a significant portion of the salary cap. If Giants are smart, they are better off dumping Eli and rebuilding their team with the money they save. Then find a solid veteran QB or draft a new young talented QB at a much cheaper price.
    Would you trade Eli for Andy Dalton straight up? If that trade happened, Bengals would be huge favorites instantly.

That Dude
    That Dude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1341

Would you trade Eli for Andy Dalton straight up? If that trade happened, Bengals would be huge favorites instantly.
    Huge favorites for what? Certainly not the super bowl and probably not even their own division. Eli is an upgrade over Dalton but not a huge upgrade. Two super bowl rings does not invalidate the fact that he has been a middling qb for the majority of his career.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by That Dude View Post
    Huge favorites for what? Certainly not the super bowl and probably not even their own division. Eli is an upgrade over Dalton but not a huge upgrade. Two super bowl rings does not invalidate the fact that he has been a middling qb for the majority of his career.
    Bengals are a QB away, Dalton isn't it. Eli has proven he can win and coming off one of his best years. Pretty simple.

jkladikos

Quote Originally Posted by That Dude View Post
    definitely agree Eli in no way makes them a SB contender they would be better off improving defense and oline

slacker00

definitely agree Eli in no way makes them a SB contender they would be better off improving defense and oline
    I think you are talking about the Giants. Yes they need help on D after the JPP mishap and O-line with Beatty out.

Bengals have a top-10 o-line with upside, their defense is regularly top 10 under Marvin Lewis. They need a real QB.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I don't think he's going to get his wish

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I don't think he's going to get his wish
    Eli signed a 4 year $84M extension a few weeks ago, good enough for 4th highest paid. Not too shabby.

First 123