KnownUnknown
    KnownUnknown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2061

NFL Free Agency Farce-Charade

How does all of the NFL player movement make the league better in any truly meaningful way? It is just a charade that generates ongoing interest in the league and nothing more. You will not see any measurable positive difference in any team that advances and ultimately wins the Super Bowl. All this movement and change amounts to is nothing more than an elaborate marketing ploy that largely means nothing (IMO).

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

The players on the teams don't matter? How about the NFL draft, does that matter?

Vegas thinks it matters, the odds change quite a bit as free agents are signed.

KnownUnknown

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    The players on the teams don't matter? How about the NFL draft, does that matter?

Vegas thinks it matters, the odds change quite a bit as free agents are signed.
    It's a game of musical chairs- most teams lose as much as they might gain in signing free agents. Teams also have to incorporate the new players into their systems and that takes time. The charade then starts all over again after each season. You can't build stability through constant change.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
    It's a game of musical chairs- most teams lose as much as they might gain in signing free agents. Teams also have to incorporate the new players into their systems and that takes time. The charade then starts all over again after each season. You can't build stability through constant change.
    Free Agency is a rip off, it's for teams that need to roll the dice. Take a look at the 2014 sheet, half are busts:
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...fl-free-agents

The way to win it through the draft. Cheap players that can be easily cut. Unfortunately not all teams draft well.

Then you have teams like the Pats, they draft well and navigate free agency well. I was curious how they managed 2014 free agency and they signed Browner, Revis, Edelman and LaFell one week into free agency. In general free agent WRs were pretty good value in 2014 but I was surprised that the CBs paid off because so often that's a position with incredible bust potential. We'll see how the Pats do now that Browner & Revis are both gone, I think they'll manage just fine, but it should be interesting.

KnownUnknown

Slacker00- I agree with what you're saying here and that is why my comment was based on free agency. What you brought into the discussion about the draft (IMO) is true too.
    I just get so annoyed with all of the hype the NFL engages in on so may fronts but free agency is at the top of the list
    Last edited by KnownUnknown; 03-16-15 at 04:03 PM.

KnownUnknown

Those rotoworld (2014) lists show a tremendous amount of movement by all teams. Damn, from one year to the next, you really have to figure who these teams are with all of the change that takes place. This is a primary reason for such mediocre and inconsistent play in the game (IMO). The NFL can hype free agency all they want but in reality it doesn't help the game.

slacker00

Yeah, I've never seen a year like this year, ridiculous amount of free agency movement. I guess it's sorta nice in terms of parity, more chances for every team to improve. But in reality, seems like bad teams keep making dumb moves and keep themselves in a perpetual tailspin.

Two great examples of bad teams teams I want to point out are MIA and NYJ overpaying Suh and Revis, respectively. Great players, sure, but they're making top 5 QB money and both soon on the downside of their career. There's a reason why NE wins that division year after year, the rest of the teams in that division can't seem to figure out what they are doing.

On the bright side, the NFC East is very competitive. The Cowboys are finally figuring out the right way to manage things, Philly is interesting to see if the Chip experiment will pan out, Giants are always a sleeping Giant with Eli/Coughlin and even Washington brought in GM Scot McCloughan who had a big hand in building the current Seahawks team and the 49ers before that, look for an upswing from them.

KnownUnknown

Slacker00- you don't think the Cowboys letting Murray get away is a horrible mistake? What are they going to do to replace him- McFadden won't be the answer (IMO).

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
    Slacker00- you don't think the Cowboys letting Murray get away is a horrible mistake? What are they going to do to replace him- McFadden won't be the answer (IMO).
    Definitely drafting a RB. But there's a lot of free agent RBs left out there too, maybe grab one if the draft falls though.