LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Very Detailed Scouting Report: WR Amari Cooper

Courtesy of Matt Harmon - footballguys.com

Read the entire report here: Reception Perception: Amari Cooper Under the Microscope

Here is the final summation:

Translation and The Bottom Line

Reception Perception is still in its infancy as a project, and this is the very first edition covering a draft prospect. The truth is we cannot know exactly how these numbers, or this methodology will translate from the college to the NFL game. However, that is the nature of draft work. What Reception Perception does is illustrate exactly what a prospect does well, and sheds light on the type of player he is.

With very good SRVC scores, and the clear ability to earn separation on film, we know what type of receiver Amari Cooper is. He wins as a route runner, and a player whose quickness can overpower corners at all areas of the field. He also displays excellent intelligence, and timing that will suit NFL offenses—although no Reception Perception numbers can quantify that.

The strong bet is that Cooper will carry over strong SRVC numbers to the NFL. Through three years of experience, he’s gleaned the true art of defeating a corner in multiple ways, on numerous routes and at ever level of the field. Cooper is deceptive and quick in his movement, with the excellent foot frequency to smoothly glide away from corners.

However, his meager success against double coverage, 50% contested catch rate and high drop rate are major causes for concerns. At this time, Amari Cooper is not a strong receiver at the catch point when a defender is there to fight him. He does not have consistent success when asked to get off the ground, either. When the stakes are higher coverage-wise (multiple defenders and contested situation) Cooper’s odds of coming through for his team falls by a good bit. That raises questions about whether he can be the foundational piece of a passing offense.

After putting him through the Reception Perception process, I am quite confident that Amari Cooper will be a very good NFL wide receiver. His skills in the separation game are special. However, the results fall short of predicting a sure-fire number one receiver career path for the Alabama product.

That leads to questions about Amari Cooper’s true draft value. The popular comparisons for a best-case scenario for the soon-to-be-rookie’s career are Roddy White and Reggie Wayne. Cooper does seem to fall along that archetype of receiver, but he will need to work quite hard to become the craftsmen those two became. Cooper is a popular pick in the top five or ten pick in most mock drafts. Is a lesser version of Wayne or White really worth that sort of draft capital? Reception Perception at least raises questions.

However, as mentioned, the true intention of Reception Perception is to ascertain what type of receiver these prospects are. Amari Cooper looks to have a solid all-around skillset, with particular proficiency as a route runner. If he lands in a timing based offense with a precise quarterback, he could fall on the high-end of that Reggie Wayne scale. However, if he goes to an offense, with a risk taker at quarterback, that regularly asks its receivers to make contested catches, he’ll be unfairly labeled a disappointment.

Reception Perception largely paints a positive quantitative picture of the qualitative reality that Amari Cooper is a very good NFL receiving prospect. However, there are a few negative data points that bring into question those willing to label him the unquestioned top receiver in this class. Cooper’s landing spot will determine how much of his positive traits he can deliver on, and the team debating picking him needs to take that into account. If their offense would be better suited to a different type of receiver, perhaps there is another receiver they should select over Amari Cooper.

If you enjoyed this prospect profile, become familiar with Reception Perception and learn about the release of the first annual Reception Perception Project publication. Make sure to follow the series, and bookmark it to prepare for the release of the inaugural edition of the publication this summer.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i will tell you what i saw

this guy lacks that killer instinct.

he is too soft and not a very fierce competitor.

Still a good player though and he is worth a first round draft pick based on his size/ skill set.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I don't think scouting reports mean anything

Got to get these players on the field even the combines are overrated

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

He's fundamentally sound, just wish he had a little more speed.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    He's fundamentally sound, just wish he had a little more speed.
    You obviously have never seen amari cooper play in a single game.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 170

I think he will be pretty good. All depends on what type of QB he has

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Derek Carr and Matt Schaub and Matt McGloin .

He will be an Oakland Raider.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    You obviously have never seen amari cooper play in a single game.
    You're right just live here.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    agree the QB is key

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32858

Gonna be a good nfl player

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9269

This guy has skills, will be solid receiver.

Honeybadger44
    Update your status
    Honeybadger44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Derek Carr and Matt Schaub and Matt McGloin .

He will be an Oakland Raider.
    I don't know. He seems to be one of those guys, who looks like a sure top 5 pick at the begining of the season and then his stocks start dropping after some more serious evaluation. Receiver is a big need for the Raiders, but McKenzie most of the times stays true to his board when drafting and is not adressing positional needs through draft. Especially in this situation, he isn't obligated to. Bunch of really talented receivers in this draft like White, Parker, Smith, Coates, Dorsett, Hardy, that Beckham kid from Missouri/Oklahoma and many others. Also it seems like there might be some good ones in free agency. Alongside Cobb and Macklin, some rumours are saying that also Marshall, Wallace and Fitzgerald might get cut, if they don't restructure their deals.
    Raiders would probably be over the moon, if somehow Williams would fall into their lap, like Mack did in previous draft. But it's probably not going to happen. Trade is very possible option, imho. They can get good player later in the first round, and they could definitely use few additional mid round picks.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    You're right just live here.
    I guess sub 4.4 40 is not fast enough for you.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    I guess sub 4.4 40 is not fast enough for you.
    4.4 is what I figured, 4.3 would have been nice.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

gotta agree with the 'funny guy' jjgold here. Combine is just a measuring tool.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47428

White will be the 1st wr off the board.

Honeybadger44
    Update your status
    Honeybadger44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    White will be the 1st wr off the board.
    Very good receiver, but I think media overhyped him a bit, to create "1st WR off the board controversy". He had 1 great season in college and great performance at combine... Cooper on the other side does what receiver should. He gets open. Often.
    Odell Beckham Jr. was a great example last year, how much damage a polished route runner can do in NFL. I think Cooper has a similar skill set.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

I wonder why some doubted Amari Cooper's ability to play or speed. Looks good enough and fast enough to be a difference maker on the Raiders. Wow

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9269

How can you doubt this guy?