BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Pete Carroll's explanation for the "call"

It actually made sense.

They had one timeout left so if the run got stopped, they're forced into passing situations on the next two plays.

If the pass, is incomplete, they still have two downs and a timeout so they can call anything.

Likewise, the Pats were in a goal line defense so the Seahawks had the matchups they liked.

I still think it was dumb but the reasoning made it at at least sound a bit better. Lol

Lynch not being able to get a yard....highly doubtful.

Still, that route looled wide open. The CB made an outstanding play.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

It's definitely not as bad as ppl are saying. Wilson needs his share of the blame either way.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Cant remember ever seeing Lynch lose yards, but if youre not gonna run Lynch there, bootleg is the play if you ask me, either Wilson scores or can throw the ball away, or maybe even draw a linebacker or two in and has a guy he can throw to, but the play they ran was not one I would have done in a million years, would have done the old wr in and out that Pats did to score before I run a slant on the 1 in the middle of the field.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

In a way, Belichick's decision to not call TO saved his ass. If he calls TO at 59 seconds, Seattle has 2nd and goal from the 1 with one timeout. So, Seattle could easily run the ball on 2nd down, if they don't get it, NE calls last timeout at 52 or 53 seconds. Now, on 3rd down, Seattle has enough time to run again and still lineup in a hurry to run 4th down play.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Carroll should go f.ck himself. I do not care what was his so-called logic; he lost the game with that call, clear and simple. I actually think the "logic" was to avoid giving Lynch a real shot at the MVP so that Wilson or Mathews would be getting it. I sure hope they still won't be able to re-sign Lynch and Carroll never makes playoffs again.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Again, if you have to throw there you throw to the outside...low risk

KalouKalou
    KalouKalou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3188

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    Carroll should go f.ck himself. I do not care what was his so-called logic; he lost the game with that call, clear and simple. I actually think the "logic" was to avoid giving Lynch a real shot at the MVP so that Wilson or Mathews would be getting it. I sure hope they still won't be able to re-sign Lynch and Carroll never makes playoffs again.
    I like this Lynch gone.

sballen
    sballen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2274

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    This..

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    In a way, Belichick's decision to not call TO saved his ass. If he calls TO at 59 seconds, Seattle has 2nd and goal from the 1 with one timeout. So, Seattle could easily run the ball on 2nd down, if they don't get it, NE calls last timeout at 52 or 53 seconds. Now, on 3rd down, Seattle has enough time to run again and still lineup in a hurry to run 4th down play.
    I was thinking the same thing. I was yelling at the TV to call timeouts so Brady would have time to get a FG.

By letting the clock run, Seattle had to start worrying about managing the clock only having one time out left.

Still thought they would run or call a bootleg with a run pass option.

If Wilson throws it back shoulder it's a TF.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Cant remember ever seeing Lynch lose yards, but if youre not gonna run Lynch there, bootleg is the play if you ask me, either Wilson scores or can throw the ball away, or maybe even draw a linebacker or two in and has a guy he can throw to, but the play they ran was not one I would have done in a million years, would have done the old wr in and out that Pats did to score before I run a slant on the 1 in the middle of the field.
    Spot on. No need to force a slant pattern into traffic. Play to the strengths of your guy. You run a bootleg on N.E.'s goal line defense and force them to pick their poison. If they stick to the receivers like glue, Wilson probably has enough daylight to run it in... if they sag off the receivers to keep Wilson from waltzing into the endzone, he probably throws a dart to one of 'em running free. Worse case scenario, nothing's there and you simply throw it into the stands, being as he'll already be outside the tackle box. You then have the clock stopped and live to see another down.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Spot on. No need to force a slant pattern into traffic. Play to the strengths of your guy. You run a bootleg on N.E.'s goal line defense and force them to pick their poison. If they stick to the receivers like glue, Wilson probably has enough daylight to run it in... if they sag off the receivers to keep Wilson from waltzing into the endzone, he probably throws a dart to one of 'em running free. Worse case scenario, nothing's there and you simply throw it into the stands, being as he'll already be outside the tackle box. You then have the clock stopped and live to see another down.
    This is exactly right.

Seattle didn't really know what hey were doing in the final minute and panicked.

They wasted 30 seconds and then has to burn a timeout after that catch.

You run, run, run so you don't have to throw it as time is running down.

Offensive coordinator ****** up.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20364

Agree with survive, if you throw, you throw to the outside. On the one yard line there is all kinds of traffic in the middle of the field.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    It actually made sense.

They had one timeout left so if the run got stopped, they're forced into passing situations on the next two plays.

If the pass, is incomplete, they still have two downs and a timeout so they can call anything.

Likewise, the Pats were in a goal line defense so the Seahawks had the matchups they liked.

I still think it was dumb but the reasoning made it at at least sound a bit better. Lol

Lynch not being able to get a yard....highly doubtful.

Still, that route looled wide open. The CB made an outstanding play.
    Good points except it doesn't force them into pass on 4th down. It's about 3rd down, not being in position there to have to pass. Theory being pass on 2nd down where choice is not as obvious has better value. Not that bad a call to pass there, only beast mode factor makes it look so bad.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by odog11 View Post
    Good points except it doesn't force them into pass on 4th down. It's about 3rd down, not being in position there to have to pass. Theory being pass on 2nd down where choice is not as obvious has better value. Not that bad a call to pass there, only beast mode factor makes it look so bad.
    You're right. That's what I was trying to say.

Obviously on 4th down everythong is on play, had they decided to go for as opposed to kicking a FG.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Obviously on 4th down everythong is on play, had they decided to go for as opposed to kicking a FG.
    They were down 4.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    They were down 4.
    Damn. I need to goto bed. Lol
    Points Awarded:

odog11 gave BigDofBA 11 Betpoint(s) for this post.

importmoon
    happiness is a warm gun
    importmoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4806

I don't care if there will be an earthquake in Arizona... the most Orthodox way is to ran the ball on 2nd..3rd..and 4th.. forget bout the clock or waste play all those BS... if there's 1sec left and NE run back and score a TD so be it... it's FATE...end of story you deserve to lose...

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    I bet 2k on Seattle at pick 2 weeks ago
    and then bailed and bet 2k on Pats 2nd half so I vigged out...so I think I can be objective

I was rooting for Seattle

That being said....
    Seattle had control of the game but then got very complacent up 24-14...went run up middle ( stuffed )
    Run ( stopped ) wilson pass ( sack ) punt ( 4th and 15 )

next Seattle possession did basically be the same thing

They let Pats back in game, and credit Brady / Pats they did what they had to do to make it 24-21. Then 28-24

it seemed like all game Seattle did not have any five yard passes..... they either completed a pass for 20 or 25 yards or didn't complete a pass.

Tough winning games that way.

Ok...let's get to the end

Seattle made some plays...but then took a VERY LUCKY PLAY to get to 5 yard line.

The play was reviewed...upheld as completion....
    BUT STILL SEATTLE had to call a time out before play clock reached zero

THAT WAS A HUGE TIMEOUT

think the options are different at the end of the game with 2 time outs?

I think Lynch run....

Wilson scramble and maybe shuffle pass......

Maybe even a fade or pass to outside all acceptable calls......

BUT THROW IN MIDDLE ?:banghead:

How often does that get tipped up in the air and then 5 guys have a shot at it.

Credit Carroll for having the balls to go for TD at the end of 1st half with 6 seconds left...
    If the 2nd down.play had to be a pass, it should have been similar.

I feel overall the Pats played better, I just wish the Hawks had won, given the Pats win will be tainted by deflategate.

I hope the league suspends Belichick for a year and Brady 8 games.

Entertaining superbowl
    The Pats I believe outplayed Seattle thus deserved the win, just hated the call at the end of the game

Onto Hockey season

LET'S GO RANGERS !!!

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Down 4, fg was not an option

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20364

I've had a lot of time to think about it, and now I'm starting to agree with most the public, Seattle handled the final minute very poorly.

If they never ran so much time after Lynch's first down run, they could have ran on second and third down and then used a timeout after. Assuming they couldn't hurry up, then yeah, just don't run a bs pass over the middle.

This one stung for me bad fellas. I was originally just going to go medium on Seattle. Of course I got amped for the SB and a few too many drinks and lost almost a dime on Seattle.