slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    You're probably right, but I bet guys like Blandino and Pereira and Steratore (and the list goes on and on) understand the rules pretty well, and they all disagree with you.

I understand the rules as well as any amateur and I am happy to say I agree with the experts.
    Explain how they disagree. I'm serious. I don't think you know, you're just being a parrot to authority.

In a discussion like this, go ahead and quote their argument, don't just appeal to some name. Post a link.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    The experts are wrong every week. The NFL offers "corrections" all the time. What are you talking about?
    Yes, and the demarkation point is that they basically never admit they are wrong if it is a JUDGMENT CALL. I think at this point we can all agree that the application of this rule involved a JUDGMENT CALL. The judgment is whether he made a football move/act common to game/went to ground in act of catching (these are all supposed to be part and parcel of the same thing). Refs say his fall was part of the catch and he didn't make a football move/act common to game, while others say he went to the ground after he had secured the catch and that the 3 steps plus stretch out is a football move. It's a judgment which side you land on. Anyone who claims that there is NO room for judgment here doesn't know what they're taking about. You can agree with the final decision, but you really can't say that it is a simple and mandatory application of the rule without any discretion. The decision involved judgment.

Not only that, but the replay officials, overturned the legitimate JUDGMENT of the on-field official who was perfectly positioned right on the play. That seems to be a no-no in itself.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3435

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    People in this thread don't understand the Dez catch, they think it's the CJ rule. Dez made a football move, CJ didn't.

The sticking point with the Dez catch is whether or not he was really stretching for the end zone or just falling down.
    Its all open to interpretation, any tom dick and harry has an opinion on whether or not Dez tried to stretch for the end zone or not.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
    Im glad packers won being i hate the Cowboys. But anyone who said that wasn't a catch should either get there eyes checked, or shoot themselves in the head for being so stupid.
    If I was writing the rule book on catches, that would be a catch. Using the current rules, it is not.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Double Bogey View Post
    If I was writing the rule book on catches, that would be a catch. Using the current rules, it is not.
    It would be if you judged that Bryant had completed the catch and made a football move/move common to the game prior to losing the ball. In other words, the current rules do not absolutely dictate one ruling or the other. It's a judgment call. Reasonable minds can differ on that judgment. I still think the replay officials' judgment was incorrect while the on-field official's judgment was correct. We can agree to disagree on that.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

It was a catch...you can agree with the "experts"(lol)...but he took 3 ugly steps and stretched to reach the goal line...if that is not a catch according to the rules, then the rules are fukked...I was on GB ml and I'm not a Dallas fan...

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    It was a catch...you can agree with the "experts"(lol)...but he took 3 ugly steps and stretched to reach the goal line...if that is not a catch according to the rules, then the rules are fukked...I was on GB ml and I'm not a Dallas fan...
    The real problem with the "rule" is that it's obviously still far too "ambiguous". I do not believe that the rule was intended to nullify a catch like this, but the fact that the refs think it was tells me that the rule is ambiguous, ot at the very least asks the refs to get too far into judging intent.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Dez Bryant's low football IQ is the only problem with this play. If he secures the ball on his right side and goes down inside the 5 he sets his team up to ice this game with the best OLine and RB in football this year and roughly 4 minutes left. If Jason Garret had any brains he'd run at least one dive to burn another 40 seconds before TD and have GB in bad shape.

Instead, greedy Dez goes for the TD and decides to shift the ball to his left hand and make it impossible to call a catch because the ball is moving the whole time. If he could have kept the ball controlled they might give him the catch but the nose is bouncing around and that's the first thing the zebras look at to determine possession. Back pylon slo mo shows the nose movement clear as day. Nice challenge by McCarthy because you can't see that real time hence the initial completion call.
    Last edited by SharpAngles; 01-12-15 at 02:41 PM.

Petey Wheatstraw
    Petey Wheatstraw's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Like I always say....it is what it is.

It was incomplete. Period.

Just like that wasn't pass interference. It is what it is.
    Opie that was a catch.

Why you wimp out on your team like that?

They got you brainwashed?

Petey Wheatstraw

To overturn a disputed call there has to be "indisputable" evidence.

This is bullshit.

SharpAngles

Once they showed that back pylon shot during the review it was obvious it was getting overturned. Ball bouncing around from hand to hand is the killer and thats on Dez being a greedy dumbass going for glory instead of playing smart ball.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    The real problem with the "rule" is that it's obviously still far too "ambiguous". I do not believe that the rule was intended to nullify a catch like this, but the fact that the refs think it was tells me that the rule is ambiguous, ot at the very least asks the refs to get too far into judging intent.
    I believe the NFL is ok with ambiguous "rules"...gives them more control over games...they know drone/sheep fans will spout out shit like "karma" and "pay back" and then just forget about it...it's the whole "devil convincing the world he doesn't exist trick"...

...having said all of that, I dont think there is some master script going on play by play...but I do think strings are pulled for certain teams to progress...it's not 100% competition, there is an undeniable element of entertainment and at the end of the day, the NFL has one thing on it's mind...profit

I've typed this countless times: If I'm an NFL exec, I'm considering ALL posibilities to increase profit, and that includes "allowing" certains teams(markets) to advance over others...
    Last edited by NrmlCurvSurfr; 01-12-15 at 02:54 PM.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Dez Bryant's low football IQ is the only problem with this play. If he secures the ball on his right side and goes down inside the 5 he sets his team up to ice this game with the best OLine and RB in football this year and roughly 4 minutes left. If Jason Garret had any brains he'd run at least one dive to burn another 40 seconds before TD and have GB in bad shape.

Instead, greedy Dez goes for the TD and decides to shift the ball to his left hand and make it impossible to call a catch because the ball is moving the whole time. If he could have kept the ball controlled they might give him the catch but the nose is bouncing around and that's the first thing the zebras look at to determine possession. Back pylon slo mo shows the nose movement clear as day. Nice challenge by McCarthy because you can't see that real time hence the initial completion call.
    I didn't see that. Looks to me like he caught it with two hands and then tucked it under his left hand. They always go to hand instead of coming downwith ball outstrecthed in two hands because that's completely awkward and less secure. If what you say is true about him getting greedy going to a TD then that IS THE FOOTBALL MOVE meaning that it is a catch. So for purposes of this rule - greed is good. The problem on that type of play usually is a fumble. But that wasn't the issue in this case. For purposes of showing the catch, greed in terms of a football move is good.

Double Bogey

He didn't catch it, Then take 3 independent steps. He caught it and got his feet down in bounds as he fell to the ground. I've seen this many times, usually the guy is falling out of bounds. Even out of bounds, if the ball is lost going to the ground, it's not a catch. Honestly you're trying to use extremely loose definitions to try and make a case for this being a catch. The NFL has been quite clear on this. They want demonstrated control throughout the process to determine a catch.

This honestly isn't close to a catch by the rules. I hate the rules, I think that should be a catch and am tired of watching games and seeing catches that shouldn't along with catches that should. But based on the rules this is not a catch.

This happens multiple times every game. The guy is falling out of bounds and gets 2 or more feet in. If he drops the ball going to the ground, it's no catch. It's actually shocking to me that guys can watch the NFL all season and not understand this. The rules aren't applied differently because of the magnitude of the play.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: meader99

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3435

Quote Originally Posted by Petey Wheatstraw View Post
    To overturn a disputed call there has to be "indisputable" evidence.

This is bullshit.
    The irony is astounding,you must have a pretty short memory.

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I didn't see that. Looks to me like he caught it with two hands and then tucked it under his left hand. They always go to hand instead of coming downwith ball outstrecthed in two hands because that's completely awkward and less secure. If what you say is true about him getting greedy going to a TD then that IS THE FOOTBALL MOVE meaning that it is a catch. So for purposes of this rule - greed is good. The problem on that type of play usually is a fumble. But that wasn't the issue in this case. For purposes of showing the catch, greed in terms of a football move is good.
    You're not understanding the rules. If the ball is firmly in his hands the ground can't cause a fumble and its a catch even if it comes loose. If the ball is moving he hasn't caught it yet to make that "football move" so the ground is preventing a catch not causing a fumble. Bottom line it moved around a lot before it touched the ground then popped out so where exactly was his control?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    You're not understanding the rules. If the ball is firmly in his hands the ground can't cause a fumble and its a catch even if it comes loose. If the ball is moving he hasn't caught it yet to make that "football move" so the ground is preventing a catch not causing a fumble. Bottom line it moved around a lot before it touched the ground then popped out so where exactly was his control?
    That's your opinion, I suppose, but I vehemently disagree. To my eye, he caught it clean initially, had full control and he only lost control when it touched the ground. So it's not a matter of not understanding the rules. It's a matter of judgment.

And, I don't believe that control was even part of the referee's explanation, either during the game or later.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

He didn't catch it, Then take 3 independent steps. He caught it and got his feet down in bounds as he fell to the ground. I've seen this many times, usually the guy is falling out of bounds. Even out of bounds, if the ball is lost going to the ground, it's not a catch. Honestly you're trying to use extremely loose definitions to try and make a case for this being a catch. The NFL has been quite clear on this. They want demonstrated control throughout the process to determine a catch.

This honestly isn't close to a catch by the rules. I hate the rules, I think that should be a catch and am tired of watching games and seeing catches that shouldn't along with catches that should. But based on the rules this is not a catch.

This happens multiple times every game. The guy is falling out of bounds and gets 2 or more feet in. If he drops the ball going to the ground, it's no catch. It's actually shocking to me that guys can watch the NFL all season and not understand this. The rules aren't applied differently because of the magnitude of the play.
    This is correct. He did not take 3 steps with possession of the ball. He never completed the "process" of the catch. After further review, the pass is STILL incomplete.

daoilman
    daoilman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Warrants issued for Mike Perieras and Dean Blandinos for Sodomy.

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

this could be the best example possible. the cowboy fans still won't get it, but this is prime example. I appreciate this post

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

But "going out of bounds" is not a good example. That's a toe-tap to stay in, not a football move as it is when a runner tries to stretch to score. Totally different. I dare anyone to find this rule ever applied in this situation where the receiver catches near the goal line (but not IN the endzone) and loses it just before the plane is broken. Happens with fumbles a lot, but not where it's called no catch.

Petey Wheatstraw

I believe the NFL is ok with ambiguous "rules"...gives them more control over games...they know drone/sheep fans will spout out shit like "karma" and "pay back" and then just forget about it...it's the whole "devil convincing the world he doesn't exist trick"...

...having said all of that, I dont think there is some master script going on play by play...but I do think strings are pulled for certain teams to progress...it's not 100% competition, there is an undeniable element of entertainment and at the end of the day, the NFL has one thing on it's mind...profit

I've typed this countless times: If I'm an NFL exec, I'm considering ALL posibilities to increase profit, and that includes "allowing" certains teams(markets) to advance over others...
    Very nicely said.

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

If that was the case it would have been ruled a catch. They would rather have dallas still in than a gimpy Rodgers packer squad

Petey Wheatstraw

Wrong and completely distorted.

Petey Wheatstraw

Still a fck job.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Not now shitstraw

Petey Wheatstraw

Now and forever

Double Bogey

Petey, what's it like when you're right and everyone else is wrong? I imagine that happens to you a lot

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

real pros know rule #1 - secure the catch. Simple as that.

Petey Wheatstraw

Petey, what's it like when you're right and everyone else is wrong? I imagine that happens to you a lot
    Everyone else is not wrong, many agree with the realism.

First ... 3456