LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Patriots' Trick Play That Got Harbaugh Mad

The Patriots' trick play that got John Harbaugh mad

Belichick strikes again. Or was it McDaniels that designed the play? Either way, good stuff.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

My money would be on McDaniels or they hired some outside entity to find it. Either way, very sneaky. All that matters now is if there will be a rule change.

I personally don't think their should be.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10327

I know people are going to come in here and claim it was within the rules and yadda yadda. I had Ravens ats and pats ML so this actually helped me, but, i just find it distasteful and unsportsmanlike. Instead of trying to beat their opponent fairly they look for glitches in the rules. Does this surprise anyone at all? I generally got nothing against Belicheck or Brady but they are not making it easy for anyone to respect them and will continue to make us question whether they can win without bending the rules.

Plus1
    Plus1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1385

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    I know people are going to come in here and claim it was within the rules and yadda yadda. I had Ravens ats and pats ML so this actually helped me, but, i just find it distasteful and unsportsmanlike. Instead of trying to beat their opponent fairly they look for glitches in the rules. Does this surprise anyone at all? I generally got nothing against Belicheck or Brady but they are not making it easy for anyone to respect them and will continue to make us question whether they can win without bending the rules.
    This.

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

Sorry John thats your fault for not knowing the rules. As much I hate the Pats, its a smart play

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1204

Lol complaining about a smart play.

Squares.
    Points Awarded:

Ebumdude gave biggie12 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13122

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    The Patriots' trick play that got John Harbaugh mad

Belichick strikes again. Or was it McDaniels that designed the play? Either way, good stuff.
    Does being a "crybaby" run in the Harbaugh family??? LOL.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Soxsfan9, Ebumdude, and packerd_00

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    Sorry John thats your fault for not knowing the rules. As much I hate the Pats, its a smart play
    He wasn't complaining about the rule, his complaint was his team didn't have time to lineup (as there was confusion about who were eligible receivers and who weren't). The same way defenses are allowed time to substitute when the offense does. Apparently the officials agreed with him once it was brought to their attention.

Plus1
    Plus1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1385

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    He wasn't complaining about the rule, his complaint was his team didn't have time to lineup (as there was confusion about who were eligible receivers and who weren't). The same way defenses are allowed time to substitute when the offense does. Apparently the officials agreed with him once it was brought to their attention.
    Yep. Exactly.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Being outcoached is not against the rules. LOL.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Thanks! During the game, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Collinsworth & Michaels are worthless.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Read. Didn't say it was against the rules. Wanna bet there's a change next year?

tigerw1
    tigerw1's Avatar Become A Pro!

You all not respecting brady and belicheck? The fact that he ran that play and knows the rules should make you respect them more. They still had to make play work and they did. It wasn't like it was an easy play

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If you ask the fans to tell you the rules of NFL no one knows. That's why the refs need microphones to tell the fans the calls. Only sport in the world that the fans can't tell what's happening on the field.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

What was the play? The video just shows some schlub yammering on

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Read. Didn't say it was against the rules. Wanna bet there's a change next year?
    I didn't say it was against the rules: READ. I said being outcoached is not against the rules. It was a legal play and the coach should not be whining about it. Besides, is that why the blew two 14 point leads??? And, if there is a change, maybe, that further enforces the fact that it was legal. Like Brady said, maybe they should read the rule book.

TiredPro
    TiredPro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

So a white coach comes out on the field in protest and gets flagged..........but a black wide receiver the week before gets away with it. Makes perfect sense...........

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Billy is a genius

Its why they win

yankees10
    yankees10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

They had timeouts no ? If they was confused why not use one ?

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    My money would be on McDaniels or they hired some outside entity to find it. Either way, very sneaky. All that matters now is if there will be a rule change.

I personally don't think their should be.
    Edelman played QB at Kent. The play was called by Belichick.
    Pats used it in 2001 playoff game.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-...-to-perfection

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

I didn't say it was against the rules: READ. I said being outcoached is not against the rules. It was a legal play and the coach should not be whining about it. Besides, is that why the blew two 14 point leads??? And, if there is a change, maybe, that further enforces the fact that it was legal. Like Brady said, maybe they should read the rule book.
    I know what you said. You quoted me; my post simply stated why Harbaugh was upset, had nothing to do with knowing the rules or whether it was legal or not. More about being fair. I had no skin in the game so doesn't matter to me either way.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    They're not talking about that play. Play in question was the 1st down completion when the Pats had just 4 offensive linemen in the game. Shane Vereen was essentially the right tackle.

slacker00

I'm surprised Suggs didn't diagnose it with the FB lining up at "LT". Isn't that an obvious tell?

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 275

It was a cheap trick that completely flies in the face of sportsmanship. Disappointing that the Patriots stooped to this level.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Generally it's a offensive lineman they bring in to be eligible receiver

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

The problem is the refs didn't give enough notice to the D as to who was ineligible. That's harbaughs beef. Vereen broke the huddle, told the ref he was ineligible, lined up and the ball was snapped right away. Refs pretty much said he was ineligible as te ball was being snapped, so the defence basically didn't even know.

BeanTownClown88
    BeanTownClown88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4131

They were announcing who wasn't eligable pre-snap over the loud speaker...The whole stadium knew who wasnt eligable. Why would Harbaugh take a penalty instead of a time out?

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33062

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Paz View Post
    The problem is the refs didn't give enough notice to the D as to who was ineligible. That's harbaughs beef. Vereen broke the huddle, told the ref he was ineligible, lined up and the ball was snapped right away. Refs pretty much said he was ineligible as te ball was being snapped, so the defence basically didn't even know.
    Good explanation

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3447

The Harbaugh brothers are always bitching about something.

GIVEMETHEMONEY
    GIVEMETHEMONEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4903

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    It was a cheap trick that completely flies in the face of sportsmanship. Disappointing that the Patriots stooped to this level.
    Get over it. That is why it is called a trick play.

Your team did not do their homework on the passer. He played QB in college.

I thought it was beautifully thrown pass for a TD!!

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Isn't the name of the game to confuse and trick your opponent? to win the gAme?

Call a TO or live with the consequences.

You guys would have both teams running dives every play just so it's 100% fair

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3447

You don't think John would have tried that if he had the opportunity,damn right he would.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10327

I don't see how you can argue with
    a) Patriots hurried up knowing Ravens did not know who was eligible when it's a pretty clear and known part of the game to allow referees to declare this
    b) Referees declared it 'unfair' aka 'cheating' when they made sure to state who was ineligible thereafter.

I'm not saying this would have changed the outcome of the game as the Ravens were getting no pressure on Brady and without that he was gonna carve them up regardless. Still, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Especially knowing how they've disrespected basic rules of competitive advantage in the past. Maybe its just me being in the military and overvaluing things like honor and respect.

This is a GAME with rules and when you do stuff like that I dont think anybody wants to be in the same room with you afterwards or look you in the eyes imho. I understand they put their lives into these games and I won't detract from Belicheck winning record. But if Lawrence Taylor and Tom Brady didn't fall out the sky into this guy's lap he'd be emptying Bill Parcells -ostomy bag somewhere in south florida.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by GIVEMETHEMONEY View Post

Thread is about the FB lined up at "LT". The Edelman play was nice too, a joker they've been saving for a long time.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GIVEMETHEMONEY View Post

This thread is not about the Edelman pass. Open up link in Post #1

123 Last