Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

there are two basic categories.. the plowhorse and the gazelle..
    so the truly great can be either and it is not valid to compare
    plowhorses and gazelles.
    Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Gayle Sayers, Earl Campbell,
    O.J. Simpson are the best.
    Guys like Dorsett, Thomas, Payton, were more longevity.
    Tomlinson, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis in there.
    Emmitt Smith is a question mark how great due to the fact
    he spent his years with probably the best offensive line ever
    blocking for him.
    Last edited by Snowball; 09-26-14 at 08:00 AM.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    against less than stellar opposition.
    really tired argument that has never been proven. there were less teams then.
    therefore the talent was more consolidated. historical NFL teams will never
    play current teams. there is always an assumption to believe that what you've seen
    recently is better than what existed in the past.. it's just how memory and high def tv
    work. football did not undergo a jackie robinson shift.
    and for you to say "much less wear and tear on the body" is just flat ridiculous.
    you obviously have no idea what you're talking about concerning football of the past.
    there was MORE of that. Equipment wasn't as good. Far more went on the field than
    is allowed today. I could go on but have better things to do. just a dumb statement.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: face

khicks26
    khicks26's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18815

Walter Payton, best all around. Did everything from block, short yardage, catch passes, goal line, and could break the long run. Plus he played the game with a big heart. I say this as a Lions fan that watched Barry Sanders for 10 years, and hate the Bears. He was great, but Payton is the best all around.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

BO JACKSON (no need for debate). Fastest (4.12 in the combine), strongest, and had great leaping ability. Ask Brian Bosworth; he'll tell you.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by khicks26 View Post
    Walter Payton, best all around. Did everything from block, short yardage, catch passes, goal line, and could break the long run. Plus he played the game with a big heart. I say this as a Lions fan that watched Barry Sanders for 10 years, and hate the Bears. He was great, but Payton is the best all around.
    Yep. I can understand the Jim Brown case, but in the modern era, Sweetness hands down. He did it all.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6410

The "modern era" . We're talking about the '60s, that is the modern era. I guess guys like Butkus, Nitschke, Deacon Jones, etc. weren't worth a shit, couldn't play today. Unitas would have been a backup. Gimme a break, greatness transcends eras.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheGoldenGoose

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    really tired argument that has never been proven. there were less teams then.
    therefore the talent was more consolidated. historical NFL teams will never
    play current teams. there is always an assumption to believe that what you've seen
    recently is better than what existed in the past.. it's just how memory and high def tv
    work. football did not undergo a jackie robinson shift.
    and for you to say "much less wear and tear on the body" is just flat ridiculous.
    you obviously have no idea what you're talking about concerning football of the past.
    there was MORE of that. Equipment wasn't as good. Far more went on the field than
    is allowed today. I could go on but have better things to do. just a dumb statement.
    Playing 16 games a year rather than 12 or 14 would most definitely have more wear and tear on your body. So I don't know what is so "dumb" about that statement. It's common sense.

All NFL players do now is play football and then work-out during the off season to get bigger and stronger. Back then they played and went back to their regular jobs in the off season. A completely different type of game now.
    Last edited by Kermit; 09-26-14 at 08:47 PM.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Playing 16 games a year rather than 12 or 14 would most definitely have more wear and tear on your body. So I don't know what is so "dumb" about that statement. It's common sense.

All NFL players do now is play football and then work during the off season to get bigger and stronger. Back then they played and went back to their regular jobs in the off season. A completely different type of game now.
    You'd think so, but equipment and rules changes negate the couple of extra games. Defensive players could clothesline, headslap, and spear; can't do that today. Offensive lineman can use their hands to block, couldn't do that back then. So basically in 50 years nobody has broken the record of a part time player who had less time to work out and practice.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

Oilers were irrelevant until they drafted Earl Campbell in 1978. Was offensive player of the year for 3 straight seasons. Pretty good for only having 5 healthy seasons.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Slanina
    Slanina's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5895

Barry Sanders. Eric Metcalf!

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Bo Jackson was unstoppable on Tecmo Bowl
    Points Awarded:

STAX gave paco 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Bo Jackson was unstoppable on Tecmo Bowl
    That's all you need to know. "Bo Knows Football"

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqtDykn0l0

Here's a documentary (30 for 30 ESPN) on Bo Jackson for the younger crowd. Great stuff!

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    The "modern era" . We're talking about the '60s, that is the modern era. I guess guys like Butkus, Nitschke, Deacon Jones, etc. weren't worth a shit, couldn't play today. Unitas would have been a backup. Gimme a break, greatness transcends eras.
    Modern era is widely accepted as post NFL merger and Super Bowl era. Give me a break with your noise.

Kermit

Just looking at some stats from the Browns. Leroy Kelly took over as Running back after Jim Brown retired and did almost as good as Brown did for the next 3 seasons. Totaling over 3,500 yards and 42 touchdowns while averaging well over 5 yards per carry.

Jim Brown's halfback even averaged well over 5 yards per carry while he was playing with Brown.

Must be nice to have an offensive line loaded with hall of famers.

slacker00

Just looking at some stats from the Browns. Leroy Kelly took over as Running back after Jim Brown retired and did almost as good as Brown did for the next 3 seasons. Totaling over 3,500 yards and 42 touchdowns while averaging well over 5 yards per carry.

Jim Brown's halfback even averaged well over 5 yards per carry while he was playing with Brown.

Must be nice to have an offensive line loaded with hall of famers.
    Great points, Kermit. Thing about Brown, he retired before I was born. All I can do it see his stats or highlights...

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Modern era is widely accepted as post NFL merger and Super Bowl era. Give me a break with your noise.
    Noise=facts. You don't agree, fine, no biggee. But anybody thinking Brown was a scrub, just a "product of his era" doesn't know shit about football. And those who played/worked in the game will tell you so.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Jim Brown...thread closed

mitch51
    mitch51's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8964

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Jim Brown...thread closed
    Absolutely.

Kermit

Noise=facts. You don't agree, fine, no biggee. But anybody thinking Brown was a scrub, just a "product of his era" doesn't know shit about football. And those who played/worked in the game will tell you so.
    I had always heard Brown wasn't fond of blocking for anyone.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8975

Just gonna do this with guys I actually saw play:

1.Sanders
    2.LT
    3.Smith
    4.Faulk

slacker00

You=drunk. You are quoting me, but responding to someone else. Quote where I said "scrub".

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

You=drunk. You are quoting me, but responding to someone else. Quote where I said "scrub".
    Wasn't quoting you. Where do you see scrub in quotes? That part of my response was aimed at all who discount Brown because of when he played, without actually knowing anything about him or the players he played with/against. That's why I wrote "anyone". My bad if that was unclear. But not drunk. Knowledgable.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

One thing is for sure: It doesn't matter who these old guys played against. That is one of the dumbest and most stressed arguments at all when it comes to sports. And that goes for every sport.
    When we take soccer for example: YES, guys like Beckenbauer, Pele, Garrincha, Maldini, Overath, Puskas and Co would look like total fukkin losers if you were able to travel back in time, take them with you, and put them directly in todays game. Guys like Arthur Friedenreich (one of the greatest ever) wouldn't touch a ball today if you'd do that. And if you took Ronaldo or Messi back in time, they'd easily dominate the game and every player. And what does that proof? Nothing, absolutely nothing. If you were able to take one of the guys I mentioned first with you at, let us say the age of 10, and they were able to learn todays tactics, had todays training possibilities, equipment and medical knowledge, were able to concentrate on soccer alone, they'd dominate just as much as they did back then. Simple as that. Talent is talent. If these guys like Jim Brown were able to dominate THAT much in an era like that, without having more possibilities than everyone else, they would just as much dominate today with all our current possibilities.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I had always heard Brown wasn't fond of blocking for anyone.
    Payton loved to block. He threw a block in a the comeback game vs Minny that was to die for if anyone can post it. It opened up one of the three touchdowns in the comeback.

Last edited by I/O; 09-26-14 at 05:29 PM.

slacker00

Wasn't quoting you. Where do you see scrub in quotes? That part of my response was aimed at all who discount Brown because of when he played, without actually knowing anything about him or the players he played with/against. That's why I wrote "anyone". My bad if that was unclear. But not drunk. Knowledgable.
    You responded to me about Brown being a scrub. If you are meant someone else, please respond to them and not me..

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

You responded to me about Brown being a scrub. If you are meant someone else, please respond to them and not me..
    Noise=facts. You don't agree, fine, no biggee.
    This was in response to your post. The other part, asked and answered. Relax.
    Last edited by swordsandtequila; 09-27-14 at 03:55 AM.

Timmay
    Timmay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6751

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    Samkon Gado
    What's your pic of? What's he holding?

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

When I see this question my answer is always:

1 Jim Brown
    1A Walter Payton

Joey Gallo
    Joey Gallo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

AP isn't the best but he is probably the last of the old school primary running backs. Probably wont see a rb like ur grandpa's saw ever again once he retires or forced out of the league

Briefcase
    Briefcase's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Bo Jackson

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Reggie bush

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you needed one RB for one game, and that RB was 100% healthy, in his prime, top of game, etc etc etc... If you are talkin strength, speed, agility, instincts, Bo Jackson is your choice, and its not even close. If he would have only played football and stayed 100% healthy for 10 years, this thread wouldn't exist...

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

just watch the jim brown documentary if you haven't. never missed a down in his 9 year career. yes he ran over inferior defensive players, but no one else did it like he did. no, he didn't win a championship (not even marginally important if you do or don't) but dominated like no other. OJ ended up running for the sidelines most of his career like that fraud franco harris. sayers was close but injuries took their toll. emmit smith benefited from superior offensive line. sanders was decent but not in browns class.

First 1234 Last