STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

What did you learn about GB and Seattle?

I think we as betters put too much stock in our teams from week to week in the NFL... but that doesn't mean we cannot learn some things... I do not think week 1 means a whole hell of a lot when it comes to judging how a team will end up when the season is over. In fact, week 1 probably means the least out of every week. But I have to say, Seattle looks like they want to accomplish things that no other team has ever done. I always liked Pete Carroll, and I like Seattle in general. In the past I would root for them just about vrs anyone except Browns and Pats.

We know Pete Carroll is a little different in how he coaches. Full of energy, always positive and upbeat, gets involved with his guys in the emotions of the game. I think he was super hard on his guys (SEA got fined for excessive hitting in non-hitting practices), and I think he has them super-motivated. They played like it tonight.

And fellas, Russell Wilson is special. He gets it. He's clutch, he's a leader, he's in line to become this generation's Tom Brady. He looks super sharp, Lynch is running like he always did, and the O-line is actually healthy (something they were not at all last season)...and the defense? Please...

But how do we as betters, translate this information into handicapping Seattle throughout the rest of this season? One thing, Seattle doesn't lose at home... transation? Do not bet against SEA @ home... now SEA is gonna be monster favs against some teams this year at home.... doesnt mean we gonna take SEA -900... but when we see a game (much like tonight), when a team is looking to prove they can play with the champs, we want to bet on Seattle... I mean, what was SEA -240 tonight? They win tonights game 4/5 times at least... but hindsight is 20/20 and we don't want to dwell on what we cannot control (the past).

But lets look ahead to Seattle's remaining home games: Obviously STL/ARI/SF... we actually WANT these 3 teams to be hot when they go to Seattle... we want to get the best price possible, so we are defeniately targeting these 3 games, which are all in the 2nd half of the season. Oakland, Dallas, and NYG come to SEA, but I dont expect any of them to be good enough that SEA has a good enough price to bet. We are looking to bet Seattle at at something less than -280... Denver comes in week 3, so we will be looking to hammer this pretty hard.

So, Denver, St. Louis, Arizona, and SF are the 4 games we are circling on our schedule.

Also, with Russell Wilson evolving and the O-line actually healthy, Seattle is going to score more points... and when teams score more, they give up more points, its just a law of football. Look to bet some overs as well...

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

I learned the hard way last year about betting against Seattle at home. I think one thing I will personally keep an eye on are spreads where Seattle is a home fave of 7.5-8.5 so I can plug them into my teasers. Although if they are smacking down the top NFC teams by 20 on the regular, I may just blindly pound Seattle home.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Seattle's home team advantage is >3 pts

Defense wins

Defenses are more mature early on in the season... Offenses will catch-up later

Was an easy call

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

They gonna lose next week

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    They gonna lose next week
    I like San Diego's chances too at home... Seattle is awesome, but they are not the same team away from home. Still a very good team, but not unbeatable like they are in Seattle. I think Chargers will be between +190 and +240 depending on what happens against Arizona. However, I would probably need +300 or more to bet, just because Seattle has a long week and Chargers will have a short week. Plus its still on the West Coast... I'd probably need -160 to bet Hawks, and +300 to bet Chargers for sure... dont think it will be either of those regardless.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i think i'm gonna do an open parlay and just do seattle ml at home.

i don't think they lose at home this year.

only tough games are denver and sf.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

GB is not that good

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I think Green Bay is the typical Green Bay team as always...

I just think Seattle is one bad ass team. Better than last year. If you can stop Rodgers... you can stop anyone.

tony_come

Rogers is not that good

tony_come

GB defense is not that good

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Rogers is not that good
    this is a classic overreaction to one game. Green Bay just played the best team in the NFL with a home field advantage like we may not ever have seen. They lost 2 of their best players (Lacy and Baluga), and still they were within two scores to start the 4th quarter. I mean, its not like they lost 35-0... not exactly a great showing, but they didnt stink the joint up, Seattle was just that good... It was one game against the best team in the league with the best home field advantage in the league... don't throw the towel in on Green Bay just yet.

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Pretzels in a party mix? Who touches those?

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Seattle shocked a lot of people tonight

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Don't think we learned anything new

Seahawks good at home, gb need help on offensive line .

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Aaron Rodgers is a notch down

He's rich now where long-term contract and he scared to get hurt

He gets rid of the ball fast in fear getting hit and hurting his performance

Once you're afraid to get hurt in the NFL you'll not be as effective

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24854

Packers blow

Luckycharms2012
    Luckycharms2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5412

If you made money betting on the seahawks for the Superbowl, this should have been an auto bet for you.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cala56

CEOshag
    CEOshag's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Seattle will most likely run the table at home and if they go .500 on the road, they're in the mix for home field. Nobody is winning a playoff game in Seattle. A lot of teams in sports have a hard time finding the motivation to defend their championships....doesn't seem like Seattle is going to have that problem....what other team could probably even lose their starting QB and not miss a beat?

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Aaron Rodgers is a notch down

He's rich now where long-term contract and he scared to get hurt

He gets rid of the ball fast in fear getting hit and hurting his performance

Once you're afraid to get hurt in the NFL you'll not be as effective

Believing the rumors about him too

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Rogers is not that good
    Rodgers can't do anything without blocking. Their tackles have to be the worst in the NFL.

GB defense is not that good
    I knew Raji would be missed, but damn. Their softness up the middle is a major issue.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by shaunovery View Post
    Don't think we learned anything new

Seahawks good at home, gb need help on offensive line .
    exactly. Nobody beats the Seahawks in Seattle. But most of us already knew that.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Aaron Rodgers is gay

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

If Percy stays healthy they will be tough to beat. The misdirection they can run will be hard for any defense to stop. They can run Harvin on that fly sweep, fake it to him and give it to Lynch or Wilson can get out the back door. One the defense takes a false step there are holes all over the field to exploit. Harvin makes the offense explosive. Can he make it through the season and into the playoffs healthy?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Liked Pack going in with pts figured Hawks lost a few pieces on defense and might be hungover a bit from SB while their suspect offense might drag enough for Pack to get a cushion early if nothing else. Learned don't fade Seattle at home once again this year they probably run the table and even a split on the road should have them comfortably in the 12-4 range and likely home field throughout Jan between them or Nola. Pack gonna be good this year and probably finish about 10-6 with A rod getting his big #'s. But that team is just not gonna be physical enough on D to go on the road in Jan and get the big W. Funny how even after a draft and in this age of turnover thru free agency not much changes in the script year to year at the top unless a QB goes down mostly.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    If Percy stays healthy they will be tough to beat. The misdirection they can run will be hard for any defense to stop. They can run Harvin on that fly sweep, fake it to him and give it to Lynch or Wilson can get out the back door. One the defense takes a false step there are holes all over the field to exploit. Harvin makes the offense explosive. Can he make it through the season and into the playoffs healthy?
    The scariest thing, SEA proved last year they can win with or without him.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

I learned that the best O line player for GB is the rookie center who didn't snap a ball to Rodgers all preseason. Also learned that Julius Peppers is still an elite pass rusher but that does them almost no good since every team is going to attack the sorry run D.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

pack aint winning the super bowl like some clown believes.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    I learned that the best O line player for GB is the rookie center who didn't snap a ball to Rodgers all preseason. Also learned that Julius Peppers is still an elite pass rusher but that does them almost no good since every team is going to attack the sorry run D.
    Great defenses almost don't have a "star", it's 11 guys working as 1. Peppers was out of position a lot last night.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Great defenses almost don't have a "star", it's 11 guys working as 1. Peppers was out of position a lot last night.
    He's never played LB in a 3-4 either. I suspect he will be much improved as the year goes on. They probably need to put a call into Ryan Pickett.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

I also learned that Seattle's running game is sick. It's like they cloned beast mode. There were times I couldn't tell who was running the ball. Also Pete Carroll is god.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

First of all, great analysis OP. To be honest though I was sort of shocked by the way Seattle controlled the game defensively. Before the game I had Green Bay pegged as an elite offensive team, and I'll still stand by that, but Seattle really showed their defensive prowess. I stand by my convictions though, I feel even though GB had a rough first week, they go further in the playoffs than Seattle.
    Last edited by peacebyinches; 09-06-14 at 12:19 AM. Reason: typos

STAX

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post
    First of all, great analysis OP. To be honest though I was sort of shocked by the way Seattle controlled the game defensively. Before the game I had Green Bay pegged as an elite offensive team, and I'll still stand by that, but Seattle really showed their defensive prowess. I stand by my convictions though, I feel even though GB had a rough first week, they go further in the playoffs than Seattle.
    a lot can happen between now and then, Im certainly not throwing the towel in on GB. Seattle just beats you up mentally and physically and they just do not let off the gas... they play with a chip on their shoulder still, and I dont see that going away. Green Bay is kind of one of those franchises that is teatering right now. Wouldnt surprise me to see them go 7-9, 8-8 and miss the playoffs, maybe have a rough few years (kind of like Pittsburgh is having right now). Their division is full of offense, and GB doesnt have the D to slow them down at all. We all knew this. but it also wouldn't shock me to see GB win double digit games and be where they normally are, in the playoffs with a shot at a Super Bowl. Injuries already hurting GB again (lacy and Baluga).

San Fran can win in Seattle. They are the team that can pull this off... A lot people down on San Fran, but if they still in the mix in my eyes

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26095

Packers defense is really bad without BJ Raji

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

Packers crush jets next week..

Seattle probably losses to chargers if they lose to Arizona.

12 Last