JonEJet
    JonEJet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1379

Prop bet in question....Does anyone else have this issue?

Internet / -1 Ticket #:
    Feb 02 06:28 PM
    MU STRAIGHT BET
    SEA 1ST CALLED PENALTY -115
    (SEA 1ST CALLED PENALTY vrs DEN 1ST CALLED PENALTY)
    115.00 / 100.00 -115.00 LOSE
    LOSE
    02/02/2014 12:34 PM

The 1st penalty of the game was on the 1st play, where Denver was called for holding I think, but Seattle declined it.

1st actually penalty accepted was Seattle the next drive.

Am I wrong thinking that since Seattle didn't accept the penalty, that penalty never happened...and the next penalty was in fact the 1st penalty?

I'm pissed....please give your opinion as to how this should be handled.

Did I lose the bet fair and square?

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

It's still a penalty, even if it's declined.

pazim
    Update your status
    pazim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 443

Penalty was against Denver. Maybe the bet was on Seattle to be penalized first.

JonEJet

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    It's still a penalty, even if it's declined.

Thanks for your input.....seeing others on internet have same issue as me...so who knows

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

I think you won. A penalty declined goes in the books as a penalty free play.....unless otherwise specified by your book. Was there any stipulation cited when you booked the prop? If not, it seems pretty shady that they wouldn't honor your bet.

JonEJet

Quote Originally Posted by pazim View Post
    Penalty was against Denver. Maybe the bet was on Seattle to be penalized first.

Seeing that it was declined, should it still be considered the 1st penalty of the game?

JonEJet

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    I think you won. A penalty declined goes in the books as a penalty free play.....unless otherwise specified by your book. Was there any stipulation cited when you booked the prop? If not, it seems pretty shady that they wouldn't honor your bet.

I called and questioned....they say because it was called, it stands.

I honor all bets if I lose....I jsut think this is shady because if a penalty s declined, it's a no play.....right? Am I losing it? lol

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I called and questioned....they say because it was called, it stands.

I honor all bets if I lose....I jsut think this is shady because if a penalty s declined, it's a no play.....right? Am I losing it? lol
    I agree. There are stats kept for penalties. For example, Broncos had 5 penalties for 44 yards. The penalty on the first play is not included in that yardage total because it was not enforced, plain and simple.

Think of it this way: If you had a prop on Peyton Manning's first pass to be complete, and he hits Welker on a crossing pattern that gets nullified by a procedure penalty, that pass never happened. If he throws incomplete on 2nd and 15, his "first" pass is graded an incompletion. They would take your money in that instance. Likewise I think they should pay you, but there's not a whole lot you can really do if they say otherwise.

JonEJet

I agree. Likewise I think they should pay you, but there's not a whole lot you can really do if they say otherwise.

THank you....I'm going to fight this one...I appreciate your input

It was a small bet, but getting screwed by the book is a kick in the nuts

slacker00

I agree. There are stats kept for penalties. For example, Broncos had 5 penalties for 44 yards. The penalty on the first play is not included in that yardage total because it was not enforced, plain and simple.

Think of it this way: If you had a prop on Peyton Manning's first pass to be complete, and he hits Welker on a crossing pattern that gets nullified by a procedure penalty, that pass never happened. If he throws incomplete on 2nd and 15, his "first" pass is graded an incompletion. They would take your money in that instance. Likewise I think they should pay you, but there's not a whole lot you can really do if they say otherwise.
    Great point. Makes perfect sense. OP may still have a case.

I guess it would help if we can see the wording of the actual prop bet.

EDIT: nevermind, I read the OP again and am back to my original stance. I'm tired. lol

JonEJet

Great point. Makes perfect sense. OP may still have a case.

I guess it would help if we can see the wording of the actual prop bet.

EDIT: nevermind, I read the OP again and am back to my original stance. I'm tired. lol

Lol

I like Eddy's response better.....lol

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Lol

I like Eddy's response better.....lol
    Go ahead and fight it. Maybe we can all learn something from your experience. Let us know.

JonEJet

Go ahead and fight it. Maybe we can all learn something from your experience. Let us know.

I have to try.....no matter how you slice it, I do have an argument. At worst, it should be a no bet

THanks for your input

Eddy Munny

Are you absolutely positive that the first enforced penalty was against Seattle though? I don't recall personally, I'm just taking your word. If so, then your bet should be paid imo.

JonEJet

Are you absolutely positive that the first enforced penalty was against Seattle though? I don't recall personally, I'm just taking your word. If so, then your bet should be paid imo.
    First Quarter
    Seattle Seahawks at 15:00
    S.Hauschka kicks 71 yards from SEA 35 to DEN -6. T.Holliday to DEN 14 for 20 yards (D.Coleman, J.Lane).
    Denver Broncos at 14:53
    1-10-DEN-8 (14:53) (Shotgun) P.Manning Aborted. M.Ramirez FUMBLES at DEN 14, recovered by DEN-K.Moreno at DEN -8. K.Moreno tackled in End Zone, SAFETY (C.Avril). Penalty on DEN-P.Manning, Illegal Motion, declined.
    SEA 2 DEN 0
    Denver Broncos at 14:48
    B.Colquitt kicks 64 yards from DEN 20 to SEA 16. G.Tate to SEA 36 for 20 yards (B.Marshall, N.Irving).
    Seattle Seahawks at 14:43
    1-10-SEA36 (14:43) M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 39 for 3 yards (S.Williams, D.Trevathan).
    2-7-SEA39 (14:08) P.Harvin left end pushed ob at DEN 31 for 30 yards (D.Ihenacho). End around.
    1-10-DEN31
    (13:44) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SEA-R.Okung, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 31 - No Play.

Koldazzice
    Koldazzice's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4257

it's 1st "called penalty" in your prop, not 1st enforced penalty/accepted penalty.

Its crappy but you lost this one.

may as well try and fight it, can't hurt.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by Koldazzice View Post
    it's 1st "called penalty" in your prop, not 1st enforced penalty/accepted penalty.

Its crappy but you lost this one.

may as well try and fight it, can't hurt.
    Yep, says it right in your post. Unfortunately, don't think you have a case.

Eddy Munny

I missed the "called" part. Looking at it again, your book is probably legit in it's nonpayment. That sucks, but it's one of those props that's virtually impossible to handicap in the first place. It's like betting on the coin toss. Sorry bro