Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14

I Never Realized How Much Football Has Changed

I'm watching the 1976 Oakland Raiders on On Demand. My gosh, there were so many late hits, and headhunting going on, especially against the Steelers. Players would be banned for this stuff now. Stabler gets a concussion against the Bears, but goes back into the game. Stick'um on socks. Forearms thrown. Definitely, a warrior era.
    Last edited by Mr KLC; 01-09-14 at 01:30 PM.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

it is unfortunate...reminds me of old timers telling me about when the drinking age was 18...how these guys could leave high school and get drunk and come back.....legally...unfortunately they ruined it for future generations lol.....

similar to the nfl....thats why alot of these guys are crippled or suicidal.....sucks we have to watch flags fly all the time for guys trying to tackle someone....it is what it is

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Yes, I love to watch classic NFL. Sometimes I'm tempted to just give up on the modern era and watch old reruns.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8759

Saw this vid on grantland a while ago. Half the hits in it are penalties and fines now.

To think as kid I would get hyped seeing hits like that...now I just kind of cringe.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

It was inevitable. Guys stronger now. Sports science turned these guys into beasts. This is why ufc gained so much traction.

DoubleR90
    DoubleR90's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 728

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    It was inevitable. Guys stronger now. Sports science turned these guys into beasts. This is why ufc gained so much traction.
    This. The players in the NFL are significantly stronger and faster nowadays......the momentum and force they can put into some of the hits which are now illegal is almost life threatening. The rate of people getting paralyzed and things of that nature would rise like never before if some of these hits were not outlawed. At the end of the day its still a sport, and even though we all like seeing big hits I think it would be even more detrimental to the sport and to viewers if these hits were still legal because imagine if your favorite player or the star of your team took one of these hits and his season or career ended......that moment of exhilaration from a big hit is not worth players dropping left and right because of them.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I'm watching OAK@BAL 1977 playoffs, first play from scrimmage is a horse collar tackle! lol

DoubleR90
    DoubleR90's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 728

lol nice find slacker. That first horse collar would have been easily flagged today....definitely a different time. That was a sick game too