jerseykingpin
    jerseykingpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fearless Prediction: Seahawks (3-6) at Vikings (8-1)

Game Snapshot

KICKOFF: Sunday, 1 p.m. ET
    SURFACE: FieldTurf
    TV: FOX (Dick Stockton, Charles Davis)

KEYS TO THE GAME: Vikings QB Brett Favre is successfully exploiting defenses that stack the box against RB Adrian Peterson, and the Seahawks face a similar dilemma as they did with Arizona's Kurt Warner last week. Favre has the quick release to beat blitzes for big plays, but the Seahawks don't generate enough pressure with a three- or four-man front to successfully play back in zone coverage. The Vikings' defense can put Seattle in a bind if it can bottle up RB Justin Forsett with starter Julius Jones (chest) out. In long passing downs QB Matt Hasselbeck will have little time behind a poor pass-blocking line.
    Need to know: Favre has extended his NFL record to 300 consecutive starts. ... Seattle is 0-4 and allowing an average of 31.5 points on the road.
    Personnel News

Seahawks:
    • <LI itxtvisited="1">C Chris Spencer was limited in practice on Thursday because of thumb and back injuries. Spencer missed the last five games of last year with a disc issue in his back. He snapped with his left hand against Arizona last week because of an injury to his right thumb. <LI itxtvisited="1">CB Marcus Truftant returned to practice on Thursday and was a full participant after missing practice on Wednesday with a slight concussion. Trufant is expected to play on Sunday. <LI itxtvisited="1">DT Craig Terrill, who suffered a shoulder injury against Arizona last week, missed practice for a second straight day on Thursday and is questionable for Sunday's game.
    • CB Josh Wilson, who suffered a head injury after making a tackle on Arizona running back Chris "Beanie" Wells last week, did not practice for a second straight day and is questionable for Sunday.

Vikings:
    • <LI itxtvisited="1">DE Fred Evans returned to practice Thursday after sitting out Wednesday because of an illness. <LI itxtvisited="1">WR Bernard Berrian was limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday because of a hamstring injury. <LI itxtvisited="1">CB Karl Paymah was limited in practice Thursday because of an ankle injury. Paymah had practiced on Wednesday. <LI itxtvisited="1">CB Benny Sapp was limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday because of a groin injury. <LI itxtvisited="1">FB Naufahu Tahi was limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday because of an ankle injury. <LI itxtvisited="1">CB Antoine Winfield was limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday because of a foot injury but he hopes to return Sunday after missing three games. <LI itxtvisited="1">QB Brett Favre was limited in practice Wednesday and Thursday because of a hip/groin issue that has bothered him since late October. Favre won't miss any time.
    • LB E.J. Henderson is dealing with a knee issue but did not miss any practice time on Wednesday or Thursday.

Inside The Camps

Seahawks:
    Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said the incident between he and Arizona defensive end Darnell Dockett was resolved on the field last Sunday.
    Dockett was caught on tape in the second quarter after Hasselbeck was sacked by Arizona linebacker Clark Haggans, pushing his elbow on the Seattle quarterback's throat while getting up after the play.
    Hasselbeck said he confronted Dockett about the play later in the game.
    "We talked," Hasselbeck said. "I brought it up to him. I said, 'Hey man, what was that all about?' And he apologized and said he didn't realize he had done it. Stuff like that happens from time to time unfortunately. I'm going to try and stay out of piles — the bottom of piles anyway. It's a bad place to be."
    Hasselbeck said the elbow to the throat affected him for just a short period of time.
    Dockett responded to questions about the incident by reporters on Wednesday.
    "I would never hurt Matt Hasselbeck," Dockett said. "I have a lot respect for guys who come in, play week-in, week-out, broken ribs, play hurt. I take my hat off to him and I would never try to do that."
    Asked if he experienced anything like that before, Hasselbeck said not in that area.
    "Other places, dark places," he joked. "The Baltimore game comes to mind. It was fourth-and-1. It wasn't good."
    Hasselbeck said the Baltimore player in question is hurt right now with a knee injury. A look at the Baltimore Ravens' injury report brings Terrell Suggs' name to the surface. The Seahawks played Baltimore in 2003 and 2007, so with the Arizona State product joining the league in 2003, the play in question could have taken place in either of those games.
    "I think it was him, but I'm not really sure," Hasselbeck went on. "That's the thing — you never really know who it is."
    Vikings:
    Vikings coach Brad Childress has agreed to a contract extension that will keep him with the franchise through the 2013 season, according to a published report.
    Childress said Thursday afternoon that he was headed up to his office to read through the contract, but it seems like it's a formality that it will get done.
    He reportedly will make between $4 and $5 million a season after making about $2 million a year under the terms of a five-year deal he signed in 2006.
    That contract had another season left on it after this one but discussions about an extension between Childress' agent, Bob LaMonte, and Vikings ownership had been ongoing in recent months.
    There were some who wondered why the Vikings wouldn't wait until after the season to make this move, given that such a move would enable owners Zygi and Mark Wilf to see what type of success Childress had in the posteason.
    But Childress and the Wilfs have always gotten along very well and the fact the Vikings are sitting at 8-1 and headed toward a second consecutive NFC North title was enough to sell them. So was the fact that Childress was instrumental in bringing in Brett Favre in mid-August.
    That move caused Childress to be criticized by some, given that the Vikings already had broken training camp in Mankato, but it has turned out better than anyone could have expected. Through nine games, Favre leads the NFL in passer rating and has 17 touchdowns and only three interceptions.
    "I am grateful for the opportunity that I was given," Childress said when asked about the Wilfs. "I have a good group of guys in the locker room, which I've said over and over. I've got a great ownership group, who not only am I grateful for them, but they've been good owners from the standpoint of empowering us with players.
    "They listen, there is a good dialogue, there is good communication. I don't know what it's like to be an owner, they don't know what it's like to be a head football coach, but there's a pretty good repartee that goes on between us and I'm grateful for that communication." PREDICTION: Vikings 34-20

Shahbucks
    Shahbucks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1809

On the money

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

So Terrell Suggs squeezed Matt Hasselbeck's junk...smooth move Terrell.

Lots of good cappers are on the Seahawks today. They point to Seattle being able to exploit the Vikings secondary with their good passing attack. What they don't take into consideration is that Minnesota will be able to constantly be able to pressure the qb with 4 or 5 defenders and Seattle will not. Seattle will have to keep Carlson in to at least chip Allen/Edwards and probably keep a full or halfback in for pass protection as well. That's where the loss of Julius Jones is going to hurt. While Forsett is a better pass catcher, Jones is a better runner between the tackles and pass protector. I think the Vikings win by around 10. So to me the line is about right. Good luck.