TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Just One Question About The Michigan State Stanford Game

Why didn't Stanford throw the ball in the 2nd half? Did I miss something? Was Hogan hurt? I mean... they were running into a brick wall... why not throw? Give your QB a chance. I just don't understand why they didn't show up in the 2H? Don't get me wrong... not taking anything away from Michigan State. They played an outstanding game. But, I'm just wondering why they didn't throw? Why not throw 3 times on all 3 downs for 1 series? Do something different. Sh#$.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Stubbornness.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

yup stanford offensive coordinator was being stubborn and kept running the same draw plays up the middle.

whenever they were running misdirection plays or throwing down field, they had success. imagine that...

fukking idiot was so transparent, michigan st. defensive coordinator probably was loling in the booth.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

mercy....Pac 12 felt bad for whipping that weak Big 10 azz for so many years.

threw them a bone

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    yup stanford offensive coordinator was being stubborn and kept running the same draw plays up the middle.

whenever they were running misdirection plays or throwing down field, they had success. imagine that...

fukking idiot was so transparent, michigan st. defensive coordinator probably was loling in the booth.
    success....throwing the ball? they were 10-18 for 143 yards over the game and most of that was in the first quarter...hell over a third of it was on one play...two plays accounted for 94 of the 143 yards...hogan is terrible and the stanford staff knew he was overmatched

i do agree on the misdirection calls...they caught msu overpursuing a few times in the first quarter with some misdirection plays and then they didnt really get back to that

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    success....throwing the ball? they were 10-18 for 143 yards over the game and most of that was in the first quarter...hell over a third of it was on one play...two plays accounted for 94 of the 143 yards...hogan is terrible and the stanford staff knew he was overmatched

i do agree on the misdirection calls...they caught msu overpursuing a few times in the first quarter with some misdirection plays and then they didnt really get back to that
    hes just angry he lost his bet thats all

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

The definition of INSANITY:

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Those 3rd and 4th down and shorts. WOW.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

the 10 for 18 stat is misleading. how many of those incomplete passes were in the 2nd half when it was 3rd and long?

stanford didn't throw enough in the early downs.

this was their play... 1st down, run up the midde, 2nd down, run up the middle, 3rd and long, incomplete pass. michigan st caught stanford's d off guard several times by throwing in early downs. i honestly thought standford was gonna do this to michigan st, not the other way around.

also, kicking a fg when you're down by 7 inside 5 minutes is stupid. they should've went for it on 4th and 4 instead of kicking that fg.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Shaw and his team could not have failed any harder that game. The final Stan offensive play encapsulates that failure. If you're going to run on 4th fine but give yourselves an out and make sure Hogan has the ball.

Team should have won by DD. gift wrapped the momentum and handed it Mich St.

Props to MSU though for playing hard and wanting to win more than Stan.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

They opened up the game throwing it then went conservative

That 4th and 3 was crap he ran a draw play youve gotta throw it

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Michigan State is 2nd nationally in Opponent Passer Rating.

No one throws into that coverage all year. You can't beat State that way. They don't need an extra in the box against anyone.

They are too good that way. If you didn't game plan to beat them that way then you ain't gonna switch up to beat them that way.

Top 3 overall defense nationally, Stanford was simply overmatched.

You mad bro

the 10 for 18 stat is misleading. how many of those incomplete passes were in the 2nd half when it was 3rd and long?

this was their play... 1st down, run up the midde, 2nd down, run up the middle, 3rd and long, incomplete pass. michigan st caught stanford's d off guard several times by throwing in early downs. i honestly thought standford was gonna do this to michigan st, not the other way around.

also, kicking a fg when you're down by 7 inside 5 minutes is stupid. they should've went for it on 4th and 4 instead of kicking that fg.
    no it isnt you stupid fukk

what if they fuk up that 4th and 4 and msu comes down and kicks a fg within those 5 minutes

now stanford is down 10 with no time left opposed to 7

learn sports

tatddy

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    Michigan State is 2nd nationally in Opponent Passer Rating.

No one throws into that coverage all year. You can't beat State that way. They don't need an extra in the box against anyone.

They are too good that way. If you didn't game plan to beat them that way then you ain't gonna switch up to beat them that way.

Top 3 overall defense nationally, Stanford was simply overmatched.
    Overmatched would be less accurate than outcoached and outplayed. Stan doesn't drop 2 easy picks and 2 long passes they win easily in spite of Shaw.

Not game planning to have Hogan running the ball and moving the pocket was an epic fail.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

billy did you watch the game?

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    no it isnt you stupid fukk

what if they fuk up that 4th and 4 and msu comes down and kicks a fg within those 5 minutes

now stanford is down 10 with no time left opposed to 7

learn sports
    wrong person to troll little kid. go away, i know i struck a nerve with your $20 winning day yesterday but get lost. don't have time for losers like you.

billysink

billy did you watch the game?
    I have seen almost every state play this year.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

well i've watch most of stanford games this year and they were stuck in that 2nd half conservative mode.

i give credit to michigan st. they definitely spent more time preparing for the game.

stanford treated this game like a regular pac 12 game.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    Overmatched would be less accurate than outcoached and outplayed. Stan doesn't drop 2 easy picks and 2 long passes they win easily in spite of Shaw.

Not game planning to have Hogan running the ball and moving the pocket was an epic fail.
    I was addressing the OP here which was why did Stanford not pass. My response is because they couldn't make that a sustainable part of their game plan because State is too good against the pass and has been against everyone all year.

My post did not address nor state that Stanford had no chance to win. Stanford should have won but shot themselves in the foot.

Overmatched against the pass on offense.

That is all.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

If I didn't know better I'd say Stanford threw the game. Kicking a FG for it on 4th and 3 down 7 with 4 minutes left was grounds for a finding of insanity.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Michigan State is not nearly as good as Stanford made them look. bottom line is that HC David Shaw called a terrible game. he is one of those guys who you cannot say anything to him about how he is calling the game. It is his way or the highway. He is famous for this. Last season Stanford scored 3 points in the 2nd half. This season they scored 3 points in the 2nd half. Sound familiar?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

i posted somewhere that the game was a reverse of what all the predictions claimed....that mich st did the same things as stanford, but not as well, so theyd have to add some rubs into their game plan...turns out that was actually stanford, not msu....i agree on the 4th down comment but i really felt like they had maybe a 10% chance of converting so shaw was in somewhat of a no win situation

if i were to make a comment about the coaching id say that dantonio flat out outcoached shaw but he did a great job whereas shaw just ran out of options....i really cant overstate that hogan is a terrible qb against a top level team...i mean look at the oregon game...they threw it 13 times for 100 yards...he looked great against the dredge of the pac 12 but he sucked against any decent d's they played...shaw knew if they cant run it then theyre cooked...though i agree that they could have been more creative with play calling

tatddy

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    I was addressing the OP here which was why did Stanford not pass. My response is because they couldn't make that a sustainable part of their game plan because State is too good against the pass and has been against everyone all year.

My post did not address nor state that Stanford had no chance to win. Stanford should have won but shot themselves in the foot.

Overmatched against the pass on offense.

That is all.
    Billay best wishes in 2014.

You mad bro

wrong person to troll little kid. go away, i know i struck a nerve with your $20 winning day yesterday but get lost. don't have time for losers like you.
    you are a fukkin idiot

you bet 10 dollars a game and think you are hot shit

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    you are a fukkin idiot

you bet 10 dollars a game and think you are hot shit
    i don't bet big but i do bet what i post kid.

1/1/14 6:43pm $226.00 $200.00 $0.00 Loss 1/1/14 5:00pm Reduced Football 256 Stanford 2nd Half -3 -113* vs Michigan State

get lost kid, adults are having a discussion.

billysink

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    Billay best wishes in 2014.
    Thanks tat and you too.

All the best for this year and beyond.....

You mad bro

i don't bet big but i do bet what i post kid.

1/1/14 6:43pm $226.00 $200.00 $0.00 Loss 1/1/14 5:00pm Reduced Football 256 Stanford 2nd Half -3 -113* <small>vs</small> Michigan State

get lost kid, adults are having a discussion.
    nice loss

you are clueless son

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

kicking a fg when you're down by 7 inside 5 minutes is stupid. they should've went for it on 4th and 4 instead of kicking that fg.
    Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    If I didn't know better I'd say Stanford threw the game. Kicking a FG for it on 4th and 3 down 7 with 4 minutes left was grounds for a finding of insanity.
    I want to thank everyone who posted. You guys saw it like I did.

The only reason why (I think) Stanford's head coach kicks it there on 4th down... because he felt Dantonio would call conservative or be conservative (like he typically does late in games.) Possibly it was his only chance to get back (reasonably) in the game. I don't fault him for the FG call. I fault him for running every GD down. And I also agree with Michigan State's pass defense... they are awesome. But you have to give yourself a chance for fast offense... a DB could slip and fall... anything. It was do or die either way. But you aren't going to beat Michigan State running. Seems like you weren't going to beat them at anything. Waive the white flag.