Joey Blaze
    Joey Blaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 916

Do The Saints Have What It Takes To Beat The Eagles In Philly?

The Saints really seems to be a completely different team on the road but for some reason I have a gut feeling they can beat the Eagles.. Before I make any bets id love to get some other opinions

Your thoughts?

I just took this from an article I just read..

The Saints will be decided underdogs at Philadelphia. They have lost five of their past six road games and haven't played particularly well outside the Superdome since Week 5 in Chicago.
    Moreover, they haven't won a road playoff game in franchise history. They are 0-5 all-time and winless in three postseason road trips in the Sean Payton/Drew Brees era.
    Last edited by Joey Blaze; 12-30-13 at 09:39 AM.

Saintsfan1977
    Saintsfan1977's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4104

The thing the Saints are missing is the desire to win outside in the elements. They play as if they dont want to be there. They do have a good team that can compete with any other but the mentality is lacking.

They should have beat New England but the officials thought otherwise,

Capper1124
    Update your status
    Capper1124's Avatar Become A Pro!

They average less than 20 ppg on the road and are playing outdoors in this one. I don't think they can win

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Blaze View Post
    Do The Saints Have What It Takes To Beat The Eagles In Philly?

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

I dont think so,but having said that it always seems like once everyone is expecting one thing like SD demolishing KC yesterday,the excat opposite happens.

One thing that never changes though is Detroit is a joke.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Drew Brees is win less on the road in the playoffs.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Saints 8-0 at home, 3-5 on the road.

The 3 wins weren't even that convincing, barely scraping by bad teams at their lowest point of the year:

NO 17 ATL 13
    NO 16 TB 14
    NO 26 CHI 18.

Brees is underrated for what he is, but there's just no evidence that he can win on the road in this spot.

rockhardfister
    rockhardfister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Not when you are an off balanced team like the Saints. I think they are the only team in the NFL that throws the ball more than 60% of the time and made the playoffs. Falcons led the NFL at 68% and finished 4-12. When they play on the road, they have problems with audibles and timing. Philly will be loud, cold and that offense will be a challenge for a better than average Saints D. Losing your starting Safety didnt help either. If Saints can get out on top early and take the crowd out, they have a shot.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Just another typical dome team they shrivel like a prick on a cold winter night when they are not on carpet with a roof especially in winter elements

Joey Blaze

Very interesting I have yet to find anyone on the board who is backing the Saints here.. it almost creates the perfect scenario for what some would call placing "sharp" money on the Saints here since it appears the public is backing the Eagles heavily here..

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Blaze View Post
    Very interesting I have yet to find anyone on the board who is backing the Saints here.. it almost creates the perfect scenario for what some would call placing "sharp" money on the Saints here since it appears the public is backing the Eagles heavily here..
    55% of the public are on the Saints.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO

Lakerboy is on the Saints too, so that should be enough to bet Eagles.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

"

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Wait for the weather !! Only consider Saints if it's dry.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Wait for the weather !! Only consider Saints if it's dry.
    Looking like 30 and clear. But that can change.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Theres always going to be a number of people that will bet with Brees no matter what,due to his stats. People love high profile QBs.

AdaBarber
    Guess who's back......
    AdaBarber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 137

Saints +2.5.

djmano
    djmano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

dude lesean mccoy is unstoppable and chip kelly has been giving opponents nightmares with the dual threat of desean and shady out of the backfield. i dont see any way the saints go into cold, outdoor game @ philly and win on the road. i dont understand how QB rating is computed but i know foles' rating is off the charts and theres a reason for that.

i will gladly pay to see the saints prove they are not the jekyll/hyde home/away team they've been all year.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

Funny how you'd think Saints have no chance in this game by reading some of the posts in this thread. If I'm not mistaken, they still have Drew Brees right? And Foles has played how many playoff games? New Orleans has had some struggles on the road to be sure, but that'll be the buzz all week and I'm sure the Saints are dying to get that monkey off their back.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Funny how you'd think Saints have no chance in this game by reading some of the posts in this thread. If I'm not mistaken, they still have Drew Brees right? And Foles has played how many playoff games? New Orleans has had some struggles on the road to be sure, but that'll be the buzz all week and I'm sure the Saints are dying to get that monkey off their back.
    What do you call their last game? Granted, Philly should have steamrolled Dallas, but going into Jerry's house and taking the division from his greedy paws counts for something. If nothing else, it gave a young guy like Foles a dry run for the intensity that the Saints will be bringing in a real playoff game.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    What do you call their last game? Granted, Philly should have steamrolled Dallas, but going into Jerry's house and taking the division from his greedy paws counts for something. If nothing else, it gave a young guy like Foles a dry run for the intensity that the Saints will be bringing in a real playoff game.
    Fine, but that was against a terrible Dallas defense and a backup quarterback. Trading punches with Drew Brees is a step up from Kyle Orton. The Saints have done an admirable job on defense this year as well.....not dominant, but hardly the sieve that Philly's D has been at times.

slacker00

Fine, but that was against a terrible Dallas defense and a backup quarterback. Trading punches with Drew Brees is a step up from Kyle Orton. The Saints have done an admirable job on defense this year as well.....not dominant, but hardly the sieve that Philly's D has been at times.
    Yes, Dallas is terrible and Philly should have blown their doors off. But it was a road division elimination game for the division title, I've said all this already. Saints D is legit, but Brees is a bum outside the city limits of New Orleans, it seems. I don't think we are really disagreeing here. I just like Philly at home with a little bit of swagger against a reeling Saints team that's done nothing on the road.

Eddy Munny

I just don't buy into the whole idea that because the Saints have lost some road games, they will now and forever lose road games. They are too good a team to not find a way to buck that trend. And I think it starts this weekend.

slacker00

Dude, the Saints are 3-5 on the road this year and their 3 wins were very unconvincing over weak teams.

Joey Blaze

Philly should have beat the brakes off of Dallas that made me very uneasy but New Orleans has a terrible away track record so this game is almost a coin toss

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Let's see. The line in Vegas opened at Phily - 2 1/2 and has not budged. I don't care what those loser off shore books do. They are desperate to get any action. Vegas has kept the line at 2 1/2 all week. Now what do you think that means?

Eddy Munny

Dude, the Saints are 3-5 on the road this year and their 3 wins were very unconvincing over weak teams.
    This game takes on a much greater sense of urgency for obviously reasons. The Saints players/staff are well aware of their road troubles and are tired of hearing about it. I think the Eagles are almost the ideal antidote to rectify their road woes. Look at their road losses:

Patriots......fluke loss. I can't remember the exact details but I remember the Saints getting burned by a suspect call late in the game.
    Jets.......inexcusable, however Jets were the more motivated team and field a respectable defense.
    Seahawks......defense
    Rams............defense (terrific pash rush)
    Panthers.........defense

The common theme here is defense, especially with Seattle and Carolina who are probably the top two defenses in the league. The Eagles defense is simply not in the same class as these teams and Brees should be able to find his mojo early and often in this matchup. Can Foles and Shady Mac keep up? That's the question basically. I think the Eagles will find success moving the football but in the end, I expect the Saints D to get more stops than the Eagles D.

Yes, Foles won a de facto playoff game against Dallas, but this week it's a bona fide playoff game and Foles isn't ready to knock off a veteran like Brees who can get a lead on him. Remember, the Eagles played with a lead for the entire game last week and when things got tight, you started to see Foles get a little uneasy. Well you can't expect Foles to play with the comfort of a wire-to-wire lead this week.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Let's see. The line in Vegas opened at Phily - 2 1/2 and has not budged. I don't care what those loser off shore books do. They are desperate to get any action. Vegas has kept the line at 2 1/2 all week. Now what do you think that means?
    Let me guess, you are one of those "NFL is rigged" guys? How come you can't win money with this theory?

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

And yet, they had New England and Carolina beat until the last 30 seconds on the road, which are both MUCH better than Philly, so what exactly does your angle mean? Not much.

Who exactly did Philly beat all year? Besides Arizona, name a decent team they beat? Green Bay with Scott Tolzein playing QB? The Bears with a swiss cheese defense? Detroit in a blizzard? And those top your list. Washington twice, Dallas with Kyle Orton, Tampa Bay, Oakland, the 0-4 version of the Giants complete their win list. Meanwhile, they get killed by a mediocre Minnesota team in a game they needed, and got beat handily at home by KC, Dallas, NY, and were behind most of the way in their home loss to San Diego. Not to mention getting smoked at Denver, but there's no shame in that.

Saints are a better team on both sides of the ball, but Philly could certainly win because its still a fcking football game. But I'll gladly take points with the better team, even if it is on the road. Philly's D will give up points, and if they get behind, it could be a long night for them. But, we'll see how it plays out. Still a game played by men outdoors with a funny shaped ball. I think it will be entertaining and a fun watch.

TiredPro
    TiredPro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Saints 8-0 at home, 3-5 on the road.

The 3 wins weren't even that convincing, barely scraping by bad teams at their lowest point of the year:

NO 17 ATL 13
    NO 16 TB 14
    NO 26 CHI 18.

Brees is underrated for what he is, but there's just no evidence that he can win on the road in this spot.
    so why are eagles only 2.5 favorite ?

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post
    And yet, they had New England and Carolina beat until the last 30 seconds on the road, which are both MUCH better than Philly, so what exactly does your angle mean? Not much.
    They didn't beat NE or CAR. Relax. If anything, it proves my point. Saints choke away big games on the road.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by TiredPro View Post
    so why are eagles only 2.5 favorite ?
    Books set the line to get balanced action.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

They didn't beat NE or CAR. Relax. If anything, it proves my point. Saints choke away big games on the road.
    It will be hard to "choke" away a 17 point 4rth quarter lead against Philly.

CajunNation
    CajunNation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2512

I guess you forgot that game where Scam was running for his life and got spanked by 14!!!

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post
    It will be hard to "choke" away a 17 point 4rth quarter lead against Philly.
    Saints didn't even score 17 points in half their road games this year. Keep dreaming.

12 Last