CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Why did the Lions not take a timeout before the Ravens attempted that FG?

WTF?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

They thought Balt might go for it. Better question is why Balt took it with 10 seconds on play clock?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Because they would need it if Baltimore made it.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    But if he calls TO at 1:05 and then Balt goes for it and gets it then everyone complains that they saved them all that extra time. He probably didn't think they'd try a 61 yarder. This I can understand. What I can't understand is why Harbaugh didn't let it run all the way down. Only thing I can think of is he still wasn't sure what he was going to do.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Because no one (me included) thought he would hit that FG. I think it's better to just let them kick the first one versus giving them a practice shot when the kick is that far away. Not much you can do but tip your cap when a guy hit's one that far away. Tucker is a fukking machine.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Because they knew they were getting the ball back with decent time on the clock.

Joey Blaze
    Joey Blaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 916

I thought the same thing until I realized they knew he was going to make it and felt it could have been better used to try and stage a back door win

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

I would have rather used 1 to try and ice him.

Still would have had 2 timeouts and only need a FG to win, not a TD.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Because they are the Lions and apparently Schwartz doesn't like his job.
    Points Awarded:

Luckycharms2012 gave MUHerd37 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Capper1124
    Update your status
    Capper1124's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah that was puzzling

Luckycharms2012
    Luckycharms2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5412

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    Funny and true.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They should have called TO right away. Time more valuable than that 3rd TO.

If they get first down, they are definitely in FG range, if they went for it. And will need time if they got for FG and make it.

Schwartz just wasn't thinking.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

because he wanted to take the timeouts home like a chinese takeout.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Have you guys watched the last 2 Schwartz news conferences? Who in the hell is cocky doing an interview after 2 critical losses? If I was a news reporter tonight... I'd be like dude you're 1 and 4 during your last 5 games...... 3 of those games came down to questionable coaching calls. Do you blame yourself? Because you should. Why doesn't any reporter have any balls to take a good jab at him? He's all talk. Jim Harbaugh should of exposed this clown and knocked him on his a$$.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn Trick View Post
    They should have called TO right away. Time more valuable than that 3rd TO.

If they get first down, they are definitely in FG range, if they went for it. And will need time if they got for FG and make it.

Schwartz just wasn't thinking.
    I'm gonna defend him here. The reason I think he didn't call it is because he thought that Balt was going to go for it on 4th down. And if they're gonna go for it then you don't want them to have extra time to play with. He probably should have recgonized that they'd kick it, but if that's the assumption he had, then it makes sense.

Popcorn Trick
    Popcorn Trick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 540

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I'm gonna defend him here. The reason I think he didn't call it is because he thought that Balt was going to go for it on 4th down. And if they're gonna go for it then you don't want them to have extra time to play with. He probably should have recgonized that they'd kick it, but if that's the assumption he had, then it makes sense.
    That's fair and defensible, but still if you are thinking fast, you gotta think 4th down conversion = fg range and you are going to start calling TO's as soon as they get it (4th down conversion) More of a toss-up, but all things considered I like the quick TO call

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

That wouldn't matter, if they converted on the 4th down, they will be in FG range but more importantly Ravens still had TOs to burn so they could've gotten even closer for the FG.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

It took 9 posts for the right answer.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn Trick View Post
    That's fair and defensible, but still if you are thinking fast, you gotta think 4th down conversion = fg range and you are going to start calling TO's as soon as they get it (4th down conversion) More of a toss-up, but all things considered I like the quick TO call
    I just think he was fooled into thinking they would go for it, although that's hard to defend given the 3rd down play call. That would have been wacky playcalling to go for it. Harbraugh should have called run on 1st and 2nd down. And then he called TO too early. He tried to screw up the game, but he got bailed out.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Still makes no sense.....Even if they go for it and they miss it, the game is over.....If they make the first down, they have enough time anyway for atleast 4-5 plays and had a timeout themselves

The benefit of saving the 40 seconds IF the Ravens kick and make the field goal >>>> Any other possible scenario

Pathetic.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

people do realize that had the ravens gone for it and got it the ravens pretty much were going to win. This defense that he didnt use a timeout because he thought they were going to go for it is stupid. Schwartz is a moron and the Lions franchise is even dumber for continuing to waste the talent they have with a coach like that.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Monitor-Tan View Post
    That wouldn't matter, if they converted on the 4th down, they will be in FG range but more importantly Ravens still had TOs to burn so they could've gotten even closer for the FG.
    I think they had 2 TO's. That is a good point. With TO's even 35 seconds there should be enough.

I do agree he should have caleld the immediately TO, but on the quick that was not easy to think through, and maybe he just thought Tucker couldn;t hit it. Although I certainly figured he could.

But still, how come no one has answered why Harbaugh called TO with 10 seconds on the playclock. Can someone explain that?

Monitor-Tan

I'm pretty sure it's cuz he originally thought of going for it but the play clock was winding down, so he was forced to take the TO regardless and made the choice of sending the kicker out about 10-15 seconds after.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

Now the argument that Stafford doesnt know what the hell he is doing other then to rack up stats would be a better argument. How many times did he attempt a 20 yard pass or more on third down. I think I counted at least 4 times in the second half. This is just a sign of a qb that has no since on how to be a true winner and understand the situation. This is why the great qbs know how to get the first down and then take the shots, not bombing it on 3rd and short.

Monitor-Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Monitor-Tan View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's cuz he originally thought of going for it but the play clock was winding down, so he was forced to take the TO regardless and made the choice of sending the kicker out about 10-15 seconds after.
    It could've also been because he thought Schwartz was going to take one, and he was going ot think it over then, but since he didn't take it and play clock winding down, he had to take it to decide what he wanted to do.,

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

He does, but he's a box of rocks. Not his fault. Guy's just a derelict. Period.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Have you guys watched the last 2 Schwartz news conferences? Who in the hell is cocky doing an interview after 2 critical losses? If I was a news reporter tonight... I'd be like dude you're 1 and 4 during your last 5 games...... 3 of those games came down to questionable coaching calls. Do you blame yourself? Because you should. Why doesn't any reporter have any balls to take a good jab at him? He's all talk. Jim Harbaugh should of exposed this clown and knocked him on his a$$.
    His hubris is basically unparalleled.

phillyproof
    phillyproof's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1240

Quote Originally Posted by CMNoney View Post
    WTF?
    Baltimore purposely made it look like they were going for it so that Detroit wouldn't call a timeout. Then they ran down the play clock and took a timeout then kicked a field goal

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by phillyproof View Post
    Baltimore purposely made it look like they were going for it so that Detroit wouldn't call a timeout. Then they ran down the play clock and took a timeout then kicked a field goal
    It doesn't matter what the Ravens did....Lions should have called timeout as soon as they made the tackle on 3rd down

IF Ravens go for it, and don't convert then the Lions still win as teh Ravens didn't have all 3 timeouts

If Ravens go for it, and they do convert, they would have had plenty of time anyway either way

The Lions coach and team as a whole is one of the dumbest in the NFL...Such a waste of talent

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Always assume a score
    He is going to get fired
    Detroit just not progressing

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by phillyproof View Post
    But they didn't run the play clock down. They called the TO with around 10 seconds left on the clock. I'm still trying to figure out why.

NardVa
    NardVa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10509

Lions are in collapse mode. Before the FG it was 3 and 15. The Lions gave up a 27 yard catch to Jacoby Jones. That is a play the Lions can't let happen.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3435

What good were the timeouts,Stafford made sure they were null and void.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

That's what everyone at our house was saying, what the hell are you waiting for call the timeout. I really want the Lions to make the playoffs but at least this crap coach will be gone if they don't. We probably will get the help needed from the Bears and Packers and then lose to Minnesota.