WWCD
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    WWCD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Anyone else bet on Football only?

The reason why I strictly gamble on Football is because I have been following the game for about 30 years. The last 20 years being the time frame that I really started following all the teams and placing bets on a regular basis. I like betting football because it's something I feel comfortable with and a sport I know well. When placing wagers, I am making an "educated" guess based on factors I understand and have experience with.

The problem is, what do I do in the off season?

I don't bet on baseball or basketball because I do not follow it enough to feel comfortable enough to make an "educated" guess. Football takes up so much of time, even in the off season. I don't see how I could even fit in the time to follow all the NBA teams or MLB teams with NFL taking up so much of my time.

So those who bet on everything, are you just researching and following stats? Watch the news and highlights and consider that enough information to lay a bet? I am very curious about this because I just do not see how any one person could follow that many teams, and sports enough to be able to make solid plays across the board.

I mean, for the NFL I watch every single game. I follow the off season. I follow the draft. I follow the coaching moves. I follow injuries. I follow every bit of NFL news I can get my hands on. There is just no room for another sport for me.

If you are betting across 2-3 different sports, enlighten me. How is this done?

Pivotpoint
    Pivotpoint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3817

The majority of my bets are football, love the game. Played, coached and it's a passion. Things slow down for me after the Bowls, Playoffs. Good to take a break, enjoy life and do different things.

I'll do a little work on college hoops when march madness starts. I'm betting when that kicks off. I literally love betting playoff hockey. I'm always shocked how well I do when I hop in on these sports at the tail end of the season. Take hockey for example. I love the sport, but almost never watch or bet till playoffs. In Football, I follow it so closely, it's hard not to form very strong opinions on teams good or bad. Some are impacted by big wins, or big losses. Bad beats, poor coaching calls seem to stick in that capping brain. In hockey, I enter the playoffs unbiased. I'll mostly seek out what I feel is a hot goalie, peaking team and ride them. Over the years, I've been shocked how well I do in hockey while spending so little time on research.

Many years ago I lived in Vegas and bet football, hoops,hockey and baseball. Guys that do that burn way to much time capping betting and watching. Stick with one sport and dabble in others during tourneys. Find a hobby, hunting, fishing, dirt bikes, snowmobiling, skiing, boating, cars anything. Hey, I love sports, but try to be a more well rounded person. Volunteer some time and coach a youth team if you have the skill set and knowledge. You'll enjoy life more and be a better capper in the long run.

WWCD

Pivotpoint, thank you for sharing. It is highly appreciated.

Don't get me wrong I have decent balance in my life. Of course, the girlfriend hates me during football season so it's probably better that I don't get too deep into another sport.

Pivotpoint
    Pivotpoint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3817

WWCD, I hear you, didn't intend to imply. Aware that you stated Football was all you cap, presently.

Girlfriends, wives can take anything in moderation. Need to give and take. I lived in Vegas for over a decade, wow, the things I saw.

Even in the forum you can spot guys that are downright reckless, train wrecks waiting to happen. Money management is so important. Time management is huge also. I like to watch the games that I bet on. Often, I prefer the big tv games with super sharp lines. I basically develop an opinion and back that with $'s.

I do this simply to have fun. Everything is relative, but betting $20 on a game, just doesn't get me excited. I've only known a few people in Vegas who could make serious money gambling.

Bottom line, when you start betting everything, trouble is right around the corner. Pick your spots, just like you pick your bets. I always have cash in my account. Nothing wrong with grabbing a little action on a rainy/snowy sat afternoon on a hoops game on the networks. I don't know how anyone could cap and bet year round. Then again, if you have no kids, less demanding job, maybe rent vs own a home, huge difference in amount of free time.

WWCD

Totally agree. I've been really fortunate over the years with my wagering and trying to get a bit more serious and do a better job at tracking my plays and being more strategic with the % of my bankroll I bet on each game. My weakness is messing with parlays for fun. Looking back, I'd be up a lot more if I stopped messing with those.

It's probably a blessing that I only wager on Football. I too have seen too many people get too deep and lose more money than they can afford to.

Again thanks for the input. Learning a lot here and hope to learn more.