knuttybuddy
    knuttybuddy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im confused about the term "UNITS" when in comes to betting sites.

I was looking around the web and I keep seeing about famous handicappers posting their results and it will be something like... 17 wins 4 losses... 80% wins... +198 units.

How can they be up so many units with just a few wins?

What is the definition of a unit?

Thank you all !

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

: a particular amount of length, time, money, etc., that is used as a standard for counting or measuring

Noleafclover

For things like that I usually look to see what their standard unit is and divide until its 1, because that's what I'm more familiar with... 1u=standard play

knuttybuddy
    knuttybuddy's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks noleafclover

Thanks for the reply. but what I am nost interested in is how they can be up so many units with only a few bets..

Noleafclover

I'd imagine their most common bet is 10u, with a couple at 20u. Kind of an unnecessary zero, but it would fit the listed parameters.

Remember a unit is nothing really, except relative to itself. 10u commonly, 20u for bigger plays, would be the same as 1u, 2u.

Down_Goes Bookie
    Down_Goes Bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by knuttybuddy View Post
    I was looking around the web and I keep seeing about famous handicappers posting their results and it will be something like... 17 wins 4 losses... 80% wins... +198 units.

How can they be up so many units with just a few wins?

What is the definition of a unit?

Thank you all !
    It's pretty simple. Lets say those 4 losses were all 1 unit bets. So the degenerate is down 4 units.

And the 17 wins were all all 12 unit bets. Netting the degenerate 204 units.

204 - 4 = 200 units which is close enough for purposes of an example.

Or, let's say all but one of 21 total bets were for 1 unit, and the degenerate laid like 185 units on a single game.

You get the point.... do the math any way you like, there are any number of ways to get to +198 units.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

"Units" is a term used by degenerates, touts and recreational gamblers to brag. I've never seen it used meaningfully.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

It's also a convenient term to talk about a common level of betting that each person reading can decide, for himself. Whether it be tailing or fading.

Link whatever you want to it, I'm not sure why you would do that negatively. It makes common, logical sense. Just sayin'

Joey Blaze
    Joey Blaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 916

for me 1 unit = $100

Noleafclover

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    "Units" is a term used by degenerates, touts and recreational gamblers to brag. I've never seen it used meaningfully.
    Bit of a stretch. It's just like the term x in math.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
    Bit of a stretch. It's just like the term x in math.
    People who use "units" aren't appealing to math. There's never a reason to use "units" except to brag. Prove me wrong.

Noleafclover

People who use "units" aren't appealing to math. There's never a reason to use "units" except to brag. Prove me wrong.
    A few months ago I started betting mma on paper, 1u=3.33%, with the strategy that when I have gained 25% profit, the bankroll will be recalculated - so the bet size in dollars will change. Units is a more accurate measure than $ as to how much I'm winning or losing, bets-wise, and the success I can hope to have in the future.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Totally agree.

What is the point of having "a unit" when people are betting 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50, 100 units, etc????

I'm pretty sure some people on this site consider $1 a unit and then just say they're betting 10 units to act cool. Otherwise, over half the so called bets people post on this site are fake.

You know the game. You see some guy betting "1 to 3 units", he starts losing, and then he is betting 10 to 20 units to catch up....LMAO.