Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

No More NFL blackouts?

FCC considers lifting NFL blackout restrictions
    By The Sports Xchange
    10 hours ago
    The SportsXchange

NFL fans and teams frustrated for decades by TV blackouts in local markets may soon start cheering in unison if the Federal Communications Commission does away with them.
    In a story first reported by the Buffalo News and subsequently picked up by ProFootballTalk.com, the FCC has proposed elimination of the NFL's blackout rule.
    "Changes in the marketplace have raised questions about whether these rules are still in the public interest, particularly at a time when high ticket prices and the economy make it difficult for many sports fans to attend games," said FCC acting chairwoman Mignon L. Clyburn.
    The NFL is still reviewing the FCC's suggestion.
    "But it is worth noting that there have been no local TV blackouts of NFL home games through the first 133 games of the 2013 season," league spokesman Greg Aiello added."
    According to long-standing rules and in most cases, unless 85 percent of all non-premium tickets are sold three days preceding a home game, the game is not allowed to be carried on TV in that local market.
    For example, if 85 percent of the non-premium tickets for Sunday's Falcons-Panthers game in Charlotte were not sold by Noon this past Thursday, the game would not be televised in the Charlotte area.
    The FCC has been considering lifting the blackout ban for nearly two years, even though the NFL has voiced concern, claiming that the blackout rule helps keep games on free television.
    The ban has existed since the early 1970s under the administration of then-President Richard M. Nixon.
    Arizona Sen. John McCain (R) proposed earlier this year that blackouts be banned in stadiums that were funded in whole or partly by taxpayer money.

WWWBUKTN
    Update your status
    WWWBUKTN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1351

The NFL should have the right to do as they will with their product. While I understood what McCain was getting at it's really none of his business and there are benefits for so many other parties when these stadiums go up and you have a team in your town.

That said I think it's stupid to have blackouts in local markets. If you're not putting assess in the seats now how do you expect to cultivate a following by keeping your product off television. The perfect example is here where I live in Chicago with the Chicago Blackhawks. Old man "Dollar Bill Wirtz" wouldn't show home games as he felt it cheated his season ticket holders since the stadium was far from selling out. He passes on and the first thing his kid does is show home games which generates television money, led to a revival of his team and voila two Stanley Cups later he appears to be a genius. (Of course there's much more involved.)

You can't get people to pay to come see a product they have no interest in. When I'm in Sarasota for the winter they don't show Tampa Bay Bucs games which just seems stupid to me.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

How Jacksonville and Tampa Bay have had no blackouts is surprising. The NFL can't do whatever they want with their product is because its on government regulated airwaves on NBC, CBS, and FOX. They can do whatever they want tho when it comes to ESPN, NFL Network, and so on.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

I never realized the FCC was the reason for blackouts. I assumed it was all the NFL's decision.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

Mccain will do anything for minority votes
    Points Awarded:

I/O gave innovation 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.