Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Tim Lincecum sign 2 year extension with SF

from csnbayarea.com, Good day for SF Giants fans like me

Tim Lincecum has a new contract with the Giants that will keep him in Orange and Black for the next two seasons, the team announced on Tuesday.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is still better than many pitchers in MLB

good move

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    let Timmy smoke

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

he is getting paid for what he did 4 years ago.

a pitcher whose velocity is down and has shown no signs of improving the past 2 years...this contract is ridiculous.

No other team would have offered him this kind of money.

Giants really like timmy to pay him this much...then again zito's contract is coming off the books...so i dont mind this contract.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1461

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post

a pitcher whose velocity is down and has shown no signs of improving the past 2 years...this contract is ridiculous.

Giants really like timmy to pay him this much...then again zito's contract is coming off the books...so i dont mind this contract.
    I agree. I don't get giving him this much.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Disagree with this. A 2 year deal, considering market factors, is + value for SF. You can worry about velocity all you want but his K rate and FIP are on top of baseball. He could be turned into a long reliever...pitching 2-3 times a week in a 6-8 inning role, and this contract still has value to me.

What's your opportunity cost really? You obviously pay a premium to get him for 2 years but in this day and age avoiding the long term deal is priceless.
    Last edited by tatddy; 10-22-13 at 06:25 PM.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Disagree with this. A 2 year deal, considering market factors, is + value for SF. You can worry about velocity all you want but his K rate and FIP are on top of baseball. He could be turned into a long reliever...pitching 2-3 times a week in a 6-8 inning role, and this contract still has value to me.

What's your opportunity cost really? You obviously pay a premium to get him for 2 years but in this day and age avoiding the long term deal is priceless.
    They're not going to use him as a long reliever.

He's basically using these two years to "re-prove himself."

I've said it before: the only people who worry about how much $$$ these cats are making are the fans. Owners couldn't care less. The difference between paying a guy $10 and $20 and $30 million a year is peanuts -- especially if it's a player that will "enhance" the organization's perception and ticket sales.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Lincecum has great seasons ahead of him still.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    They're not going to use him as a long reliever.

He's basically using these two years to "re-prove himself."

I've said it before: the only people who worry about how much $$$ these cats are making are the fans. Owners couldn't care less. The difference between paying a guy $10 and $20 and $30 million a year is peanuts -- especially if it's a player that will "enhance" the organization's perception and ticket sales.
    I think its a way of thanking timmy for the two world series titles. Everybody knows he is not worth 17.5 million per year.

He gets a chance to prove himself again...and the giants are hoping he can re-discover his form for 2 more shots at world series.

Obviously the free agent market for pitchers was horrible this year. Who were they going to sign anyways? They had 3 holes in starting rotation to fill.

Makes sense for both parties...but he is still getting way over-paid. But as a giants fan, I dont mind because timmy has done lot to the giants organisation...2 cy youngs and 2 world series. I would be happy to pay him instead of any other free agent in market.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

2012: 10-15 5.18 era
    2013: 10-14 4.37 era

$35 mil for a guy with dead arm?

lol

how lucky are the dodgers for drafting kershaw over lincecum?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

won't matter.

Giants couldnt hit water if they fell out a fukkin boat!

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

in this day and age avoiding the long term deal is priceless.
    they could give him 4 years 35 and would be over paying.

Samfourteen
    Samfourteen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Dodgers still havent won with Kershaw tho

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

pretty much Timmy has been an ACE in years he solid from time to time as a dodger fan he strikes no fear

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Samfourteen View Post
    Dodgers still havent won with Kershaw tho
    where the fukk did that come from?

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    won't matter.

Giants couldnt hit water if they fell out a fukkin boat!

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1463

The Giants are afraid they can't win a World Series without at least 1 highly overpaid starter on the staff.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Demo View Post
    Lincecum has great seasons ahead of him still.
    his best years are behind him look at his last two seasons but I guess we have different views of what great season are

alukk
    alukk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8012

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    ...... Yea why don't they just pay everybody 50 mill? Would make life easier

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    2012: 10-15 5.18 era
    2013: 10-14 4.37 era

$35 mil for a guy with dead arm?

lol

how lucky are the dodgers for drafting kershaw over lincecum?
    Oh yea. Kershaws accomplished so much more

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    his best years are behind him look at his last two seasons but I guess we have different views of what great season are
    Someone is bitter about game 1 tomorrow I told u from the start your 300 million sh!t team wouldnt go all the way.

smitch124

He doesn't really have a dead arm. He has serious control issues though. The Giants must think that he can overcome them. If he does, he is certainly a viable ML starter. Is he worth the money? God no. But, as a Giants' fan I'm happy with the signing.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

How many Rings does Lincecum have? what about Kershaw???...oh thats right. big fat 0

teaserpleaser

Someone is bitter about game 1 tomorrow I told u from the start your 300 million sh!t team wouldnt go all the way.
    not bitter at all actually Dodgers outlook for next season is pretty good i'd say....good luck trying to get a better record than the padres next season

teaserpleaser

How many Rings does Lincecum have? what about Kershaw???...oh thats right. big fat 0
    wait for it its coming have fun living in the past dodgers looking good for the future your team not so much

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    wait for it its coming have fun living in the past dodgers looking good for the future your team not so much
    You cant argue with FACTS.

DoYouNotGetIT
    DoYouNotGetIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Money doesn't matter to The Giants they want the guy and they got it to a 2 year contract. MLB teams don't wanna sign huge multi-year deals that are cumbersome on the soft salary cap..
    Last edited by DoYouNotGetIT; 10-22-13 at 07:41 PM.

teaserpleaser

You cant argue with FACTS.
    yeah you won but that's in the past that's a fact but what are you going to win in the future? like I schooled you last time you tried this....The Giants arent taking first place from the dodgers you're bats are shit and you better keep your that bum-gardner and Cain stay healthy but even then like I told you good luck beating out cards,pirates, and Reds for a Wild card spot Next year we come back with Kershaw, greinke, Ryu,billingsley, nolasco if we don't land price you're team is already buried before season starts

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    He doesn't really have a dead arm. He has serious control issues though. The Giants must think that he can overcome them. If he does, he is certainly a viable ML starter. Is he worth the money? God no. But, as a Giants' fan I'm happy with the signing.
    his velocity on his fastball fell sharply from 95mph to 91. that's a huge drop off for someone in his 20s. he's got a dead arm and will be hard to come back from it.

smitch124

his velocity on his fastball fell sharply from 95mph to 91. that's a huge drop off for someone in his 20s. he's got a dead arm and will be hard to come back from it.
    I've watched him throw basically every pitch that he's thrown in his career. He has DOMINATED with a 91 mph fastball on many occasions. He actually was throwing just a touch above 91 the season he won his second Cy Young award. The difference between effective Tim Lincecum and ineffective Tim Lincecum has been his command, always has been. He has great late movement on all his pitches, when he throws them where he wants to he dominates. In the last 2 seasons he's had many starts where you can tell after 5 pitches he's in trouble, he can't hit the side of a barn. Dead arm, no way. He does have issues that need to be remedied though. We will see.

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16569

When the hell did this become a dodger thread. It reads "Tim Lincecum sign 2 year extension with SF" Dodger fans start your own thread. Maybe it should read " Dodgers payroll reaches 500 million in hopes of world series visit"
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: smitch124, Killer_Demo, and eidolon

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

one of the consequences of losing velocity is that you change your mechanics to try and compensate. you end up hurling the ball instead of throwing which affects your command. not to mention your other pitches become ineffective because batters no longer fear your fastball.

this is nothing new as the same thing happened to scott kazmir and mark prior while in their 20s... they went from dominant to ineffective and out of baseball due to loss of velocity.

lincecum will never regain that velocity or his form and will continue to be an overpaid bum for the next 2 seasons.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 284

Wow that's a lot of money spent for 9 wins max in each year. If Lincy can get $35 million for 2 years then how much will Scherzer want?

smitch124

one of the consequences of losing velocity is that you change your mechanics to try and compensate. you end up hurling the ball instead of throwing which affects your command. not to mention your other pitches become ineffective because batters no longer fear your fastball.

this is nothing new as the same thing happened to scott kazmir and mark prior while in their 20s... they went from dominant to ineffective and out of baseball due to loss of velocity.

lincecum will never regain that velocity or his form and will continue to be an overpaid bum for the next 2 seasons.
    Point taken. Like I said, though, he can dominate at 91 mph. That's why the Giants are trying to convince him to trust his lower velocity. His problems occur when he tries to over throw, on the occasions when he "trusts his stuff" he actually does quite well.

123 Last