Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good News for Chargers fans

Breaking News:

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.com
    Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who's going to be the next coach I wonder

Razz

Who cares? Mike Shula would have won the Super Bowl with that team.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Mike Shula would have won the Super Bowl with that team.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

He is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Who cares? Mike Shula would have won the Super Bowl with that team.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

how about cowher

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

More proof that Sean Salisbury is an idiot (even when he doesn't have a cell phone camera aimed due south):

Salisbury: The Chargers have a perfect candidate right in San Diego and that's Dennis Green. He's an excellent candidate for a veteran team like the Chargers and probably won't demand the type of power that other more established coaches will try to get from San Diego.

(emphaisis mine).

BTW, I believe that Denny was the last coach to employ the erstwhile penile photographer as a quarterback.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by AC1318 View Post
    how about cowher
    I guess anything is possible. However, he did make it quite clear on superbowl Sunday that he wanted to take a year or two off to spend time with his kids.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Originally Posted by ESPN.com

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.
    How do you get fired if you don't accept an offer?
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-13-07 at 05:37 AM.

Seattle Slew

What a fool. I heard him in one spot and didn't hear him mention Dennis Green. So many of these retread coaches only survive because the media keeps bringing their names up.

[QUOTE=Jay Edgar;222885]More proof that Sean Salisbury is an idiot (even when he doesn't have a cell phone camera aimed due south):

Seattle Slew

An earlier post about Cowher's loyalty to Marty would likely prevent him from going there. Also not sure he's a west coast guy. Family is all in the east. Plus, he'll have a choice of 5 or 6 jobs next season for sure (Giants, Dallas, Washington) so no need to jump back in. Plus, he'd be a liar from what he said at his exit press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I guess anything is possible. However, he did make it quite clear on superbowl Sunday that he wanted to take a year or two off to spend time with his kids.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

The most interesting candidate I've heard about today is Dan Reeves. He's familiar with the division and probably has enough contacts to put together a coaching staff on short notice. Basically, he's about the same as Marty, being known for not winning the big one despite an otherwise distinguished career, maybe slightly more successful. Reeves health was a concern last time he was in coaching, but apparently he's chomping on the bit to get back into the NFL.

How about Vermeil? Imagine what he could do with this much talent?

Hell, I bet I could go 11-5 with this team as HC.

bigboydan

Guys, I'm hearing June Jones just might be the front runner for this job right now.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Chargers now have to start from scratch with their coaching staff. That adjustment alone could cost them another year. My feeling is that Marty couldn't have been happy with the front office unloading two coaches to Miami and Dallas.

Marty did a lot for the Chargers. That over-my-dead-body attitude on the field was his doing. Still, he didn't have his team ready when it counted in the playoffs, so this may work out in the end (like the much criticized Rivers for Brees move last year). Unfortunately, there seems to be something within the Charger organization that undermines their own success. Like a clock with a grain of sand. They're at risk of becoming the most talented team never to win a Superbowl.

bigboydan

Looks like Norv Turner will be named the new coach of the Bolts later today.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Chargers have a way to hurt themselves. Last season they themselves suspended Antonio Gates for the first game, lost, and ended up just missing the playoffs. I still don't know how they managed to give that game to the Pats this season. And now this. They have all the talent in the world, but there's something not right in this organization.

Razz

You wouldn't think the Chargers could have found a way to hire a coach with less postseason success than Schottenheimer, but they managed to defy all odds and do just that by hiring a coach who has a career record of 24 games under .500.
    Last edited by Razz; 02-19-07 at 03:32 PM.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Well there goes the good news. It was good while it lasted for the Charger fans.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Anyone else think Norv gets one year and gets canned?

I think Norv was probably just the best choice out of a bunch of other marginal choices.

Give Cowher a year to get the itch back and the Chargers will pounce on him.

Norv needs to win at least one playoff game next year to keep his job. I doubt he can do it in a tough AFC that is very tough and very deep. Even if he does win one playoff game next season, he might still get canned.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Norv will work with Rivers and make him even better than he is..

This is a great hire and we will see my boys in the SB next season..

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Anyone else think Norv gets one year and gets canned?

I think Norv was probably just the best choice out of a bunch of other marginal choices.

Give Cowher a year to get the itch back and the Chargers will pounce on him.

Norv needs to win at least one playoff game next year to keep his job. I doubt he can do it in a tough AFC that is very tough and very deep. Even if he does win one playoff game next season, he might still get canned.
    That all sounds about right.