Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Super bowl pick

Good luck, everyone. It's been fun hanging out with you guys this season.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200770202104

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Here is the article. Thanks Sportsgirl.

Bears’ defense will help the team bring the Lombardi Trophy back to the Windy City

published February 4, 2007 12:15 am

The question is timeless in football and has been the launching point of much debate over the years: what wins big games, great offense or great defense?

Perhaps, in general, that question will be answered today. The Indianapolis Colts bring to the field a prolific offense and arguably one of the best quarterbacks to play the game in Peyton Manning. On the others side of the ball, the Chicago Bears bring top-notch defense to the field, having held the No. 1 offense in the league (New Orleans) to just 14 points in route to winning the NFC Championship.
    Web Extras: Multimedia & Related Content
    Advertisement

So, which will prevail in Super Bowl XLI?

Not too long ago it, didn’t appear as if the Colts would make it to the Super Bowl. After a 9-0 start, the Colts lost four of their final seven, appearing less than invincible for the first time in a long time. The Colts’ defense was much maligned during the regular season, allowing 22.5 points per game. That same unit has made a remarkable turnaround in the playoffs, but can it deliver one more time?

The question mark for the Bears has been just the opposite. Quarterback Rex Grossman has come under much criticism for his play. During the regular season, he threw 23 TDs and 20 INTs. Grossman’s 54 percent completion rate, combined with his other stats, gave him a QB rating of 73.9 for the 2006 regular season. Not stellar, especially compared to the 101.0 rating attached to Manning.

Grossman can’t make mistakes today. The Bears’ running attack, lead by Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson, will provide the points for Chicago. A successful running attack by the Bears will keep Manning off the field.

On defense, the Bears will need to put pressure on Manning - one or two deep connections to receiver Marvin Harrison could be game-breakers. The running game of the Colts, led by rookie Joseph Addai, has complemented Manning well. The Bears need to keep Addai from being a factor, otherwise it will be a long day for them.

With so many offensive weapons, the Colts may get man-to-man coverage from the Bears. If so, Manning will need to take advantage with quick passes to Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Also effective for the Colts has been tight end Dallas Clark, giving Manning yet another receiving option. If the Colts defense can hold off the Bears running game and their offense can establish their own running attack and take advantage of man-to-man coverage, they will likely point up enough points to take the Lombardi Trophy.

But back to that age-old question: offense or defense? Having grown up in the Steel City the answer to that question is simple… BEARS.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like your Bears play Nancy

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    I like your Bears play Nancy
    Thanks, Dan.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Thanks for the articles this season Sportsgirl.

I gotta say that I hope your SB pick is wrong, though.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by gummo
    Thanks for the articles this season Sportsgirl.

I gotta say that I hope your SB pick is wrong, though.
    Thanks for reading the articles, playing the picking game and being so welcoming to the noobie at SBR. It's been a fun season.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

You do hoops or baseball SG? If not, see you next year.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

We still have the pro bowl

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

Defense wins championships.And now I guess we should add to that except for when your offense turns the ball over how many times? Oh well, SG, just wasn't meant to be . . .

josebla89
    josebla89's Avatar Become A Pro!

Defense wins championships only its the colts D that has shown up for every game in the playoffs. The bears need a new qb to have any kind of a chance. Grossman is way to inconsistent

Sportsgirl

You said it Jose - without a change at QB, the Bears are just another Ravens team with a Trent Dilfer under center. Bummer for the D - they played well, but in the end, you can't keep your defense fresh if your offense isn't spending their fair share of time on the field.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    You do hoops or baseball SG? If not, see you next year.
    No other sports this year, but I'll still be hanging around - I've formed a liking for some of you fellas