R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

McNabb H.O.F. worthy?

They were debating this all morning on ESPN just wondered what the forum thought. My opinion is NO he does not belong. His career numbers are just good not great. Only once did he throw over 25 td's in a season, never threw for over 4,000 yards, and had a career completion % of 59% (very average), QBR rating 85.6. And keep in mind he played his career during the new modern passing era putting up those average #'s. He won a lot of games including in Jan. and led a team to a Super Bowl. However I believe the Philly defense was better than the offense during those years and does not get enough credit. Donovan was real good however the H.O.F. is for the best ever and real good does not qualify. Not even for one year during his playing days was he the best Q.B in the game and during his best season you could possibly squeeze him into the top 5 at best. Yay or nay for McNabb?

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Esiason, Krieg, Bledsoe, Testaverde and Kerry Collins were all better. McNabb only gets in through affirmative action.

petey5
    petey5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17001

I would say no way for McNabb. I don't think it's close, either.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

No.

whodatB
    whodatB's Avatar Become A Pro!

How does a guy who doesnt know there are ties, get into the HOF?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Good stuff guys I agree in his era he is more comparable to the likes of Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, Matt Hasselback than to elite future HOF's like Manning, Brady, Farve.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

I hate how Mcnabb never gets enough credit. 5 trips to the NFC championship games is nothing to overlook in such a well balanced league with nothing but parity. Even if he does not get in the first year he should and will eventually get in.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

He had a solid coach in Andy Reid from the get go and the Eagles had very good management, team talent etc. This helps a lot. This is why all the other Eagles QB's would have success when Mcnabb would get hurt. Jeff Garcia was good, AJ Feely had 300 yard games filling in in that offense.

Early in his career he had a very good defense and he just managed games. I thought he was way overrated. He'd throw for 190 yards, but the media would jerk off to those 30-40 rushing yards per game.

Then he had a good line but crappy receivers and a good defense. Everybody would make excuses for him that his receivers weren't any good.

Then he had good receivers for a little bit and he put up pretty good numbers. T.O. came when Mcnabb peaked, so to say if he had top notch receivers his whole career isn't a fair argument in my opinion. Plus how many great receivers has tom brady had? He had randy moss peaking out for a couple years but he found a way to win with Deion Branch as his best guy and Branch was short and average at best.

People always thought he had a crappy offensive line - because he ran around a lot - but he had good lines too but he'd hold onto the ball as long as he could.

He was poor in the clutch. That's a fact, anybody who argues otherwise is a damn fool.

The NFC East went through some really weak years and the NFC in general, so he chalked up a lot of easier wins but couldn't win the big games, couldn't win as a heavy favorite.

I think he gets in through affirmative action but there are better more deserving players out there. Mcnabb was made that "Black QB to break the mold" but he was never that great. I remember when his career was finished and Reid wanted to go with Kolb and ESPN had this town hall meeting where they were complaining he wasn't a backup and it was his race and all this stuff. Then Mcnabb hinted that Kyle Shannihan was racist. Then the Redskins cut him and went with Grossman for a year before RG3. Then Mcnabb goes to Minnesota and he was fat and finished. Complaining. That guy gained a ton of weight and when he couldn't run he lost a lot of value late in his career.

I vote no.

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    I hate how Mcnabb never gets enough credit. 5 trips to the NFC championship games is nothing to overlook in such a well balanced league with nothing but parity. Even if he does not get in the first year he should and will eventually get in.
    If he would have won a couple more of those NFC Championship games then he probably easily gets in. Ahh, but he didn't.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    If he would have won a couple more of those NFC Championship games then he probably easily gets in. Ahh, but he didn't.
    and it's not like the Eagles were underdogs in those games. They were favorites and they kept losing over and over and over again. They were the team that was supposed to go win it. Those teams weren't supposed to just make it to the NFCC, they were supposed to win it.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

5374 3170 59.0% 37276 234 117 85.6 616 3459 29

posteason
    577 341 59.1% 3752 24 17 80 72 422 4

pretty good TIED FOR 22 ON TD LIST
    Last edited by redrum; 08-01-13 at 07:15 AM.

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    5374 3170 59.0% 37276 234 117 85.6 616 3459 29

posteason
    577 341 59.1% 3752 24 17 80 72 422 4

pretty good TIED FOR 22 ON TD LIST

"Pretty good" should NEVER get you in the Hall Of Fame.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

McNabb with Minnesota. Seemed like every other pass he'd "McNabb" the ball into the dirt at his receiver's feet.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Mcnabb was known as the 3rd best qb in football all through the 2000s behind only peyton and brady. Cant really fault him for that. He went to all those championship games with no wrs other then 1 year with TO. He was throwing to todd pinkston, james trash, freddy mitchell, ect... He is definately the best qb in eagles history.

But even with that said, i vote no

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

For me it really comes down to was he ever the best while he played. Answer is no he was never even top 4 or 5 in reality and if he had won that SB and had a great game (without puking lol) ... then maybe. Another thing to conider is withe those #'s he put up which were just good not great he did that in an offense that had never heard of a running game ad passed more than anyone.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    Mcnabb was known as the 3rd best qb in football all through the 2000s behind only peyton and brady. Cant really fault him for that. He went to all those championship games with no wrs other then 1 year with TO. He was throwing to todd pinkston, james trash, freddy mitchell, ect... He is definately the best qb in eagles history.

But even with that said, i vote no
    His receivers were not good but

He had a good overall head coach in Andy and a good DC in Jim Johnson.
    His backups always had success, 300 yard games and wins for Jeff Garcia and other fill ins.
    His line was underrated and usually good, a few years great.
    He had Bryon Westbrook
    He had a good defense
    The team had strong overall talent

So yeah his receivers weren't great but pretty much everything else around him was. With that said he couldn't get the job done. How good were Tom Brady's receivers and backs when he won the super bowl. If Donovan lost with Troy Hambrick in the backfield the Mcnabb apologists would cry how unfair he had it.